Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Patty should get more money and I don’t care if they take it from Haas voiding his contract. Patty is a better player.

Such a shame we are stuck with Haas’s wage.

How is it different? I’m not making comparisons with how they went about it, only that they are essentially after the same thing, more money on a deal they already agreed to.

It is totally different. Payne for a start has been overpayed every single year of his contract. Carrigan isnt being overpayed. Haas was basically holding the club to ransom and asking for a release if he didnt get a huge contract upgrade, Carrigan isnt looking for a release, in the scheme of things he wants a modest upgrade for a player who has dominated at Origin level ( something Haas hasnt done yet ) and is now an Australian player. I just dont see Carrigan pulling the same shit Haas did if he doesnt get his way. I dont think he will put himself above the club like Haas tried to.

I'm also sure if the Broncos wanted to tie him down for longer, he would be open to it. Thats down to the Broncos though. As i said before though, Its not uncommon for players to get a contract upgrade as they improve.

It is totally different. Payne for a start has been overpayed every single year of his contract. Carrigan isnt being overpayed. Haas was basically holding the club to ransom and asking for a release if he didnt get a huge contract upgrade, Carrigan isnt looking for a release, in the scheme of things he wants a modest upgrade for a player who has dominated at Origin level ( something Haas hasnt done yet ) and is now an Australian player. I just dont see Carrigan pulling the same shit Haas did if he doesnt get his way. I dont think he will put himself above the club like Haas tried to.

I'm also sure if the Broncos wanted to tie him down for longer, he would be open to it. Thats down to the Broncos though. As i said before though, Its not uncommon for players to get a contract upgrade as they improve.
Again, if he plays shit in those 14 games he actually played for us this year do we get to ask him for some money back? That’s why we have contracts, to protect both parties. He signed a deal presumably with the ambition and confidence to be playing rep football during it. I know upgrades do happen, but imo they should be reserved only for when players aren’t signed as regular first graders.

Again, if he plays shit in those 14 games he actually played for us this year do we get to ask him for some money back? That’s why we have contracts, to protect both parties. He signed a deal presumably with the ambition and confidence to be playing rep football during it. I know upgrades do happen, but imo they should be reserved only for when players aren’t signed as regular first graders.

You cant live off maybes, what if he plays twice as good as last year. Paying him a bit more would look like a masterstroke then. And he also didnt play shit so we cant ask for money back, so by that logic because he played at a level higher than his contract then surely he is entitled to ask for more money because he played way in excess of a $450k a year player.

Lets not forget, he's twice took less money to stay here than he could have got elsewhere. I dont think either you can reserve contract upgrades for players like you suggested. When players improve no matter what level they are at, you have to upgrade them, or at least upgrade the key ones.

Agreed, but we need something in return. An extra year or two on top of the contract he already signed and we'll talk.

I think he would sign it, but as i said, thats down to the Broncos to offer it, but i still dont think a $100k a year upgrade for now is unreasonable, and it could be sensible to offer him that and see where the land lies for 2024 when both he and Payne are off contract.

Agreed, but we need something in return. An extra year or two on top of the contract he already signed and we'll talk.

I would assume that is what his manager is asking for surely? You can tell Patty loves the club, I don't see him going anywhere.

Though, that said, with Haas unfortunately sticking around, we aren't the Roosters, so likely we have to lose something, I guess it is a Flegs or a Robati and that sucks.

You cant live off maybes, what if he plays twice as good as last year. Paying him a bit more would look like a masterstroke then. And he also didnt play shit so we cant ask for money back, so by that logic because he played at a level higher than his contract then surely he is entitled to ask for more money because he played way in excess of a $450k a year player.

Lets not forget, he's twice took less money to stay here than he could have got elsewhere. I dont think either you can reserve contract upgrades for players like you suggested. When players improve no matter what level they are at, you have to upgrade them, or at least upgrade the key ones.
He missed a massive chunk of games through suspension and injury. I don’t think the club really owes him anything

I think he would sign it, but as i said, thats down to the Broncos to offer it, but i still dont think a $100k a year upgrade for now is unreasonable, and it could be sensible to offer him that and see where the land lies for 2024 when both he and Payne are off contract.

Don't disagree at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm happy to upgrade him the extra 100K but he can't just expect us to do that with nothing in return. We're happy to pay you more $$$ Pat, but we'll need something in return. Like you not going on the open market for another season or two.

No, you can’t live off maybes, that’s why you have contracts…!

Don't disagree at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm happy to upgrade him the extra 100K but he can't just expect us to do that with nothing in return. We're happy to pay you more $$$ Pat, but we'll need something in return. Like you not going on the open market for another season or two.

...and do us a favour would you...step on Payne's shoes again...maybe a couple of times.

He missed a massive chunk of games through suspension and injury. I don’t think the club really owes him anything

So what do we do, alienate one of our best players by not giving him a $550k a year contract that he comfortably deserves? That would be utter stupidity in the scheme of things. Whats the going rate for a player of his quality? At the Broncos, we are paying two blokes a lot more than that for nowhere near the same output.

So what do we do, alienate one of our best players by not giving him a $550k a year contract that he comfortably deserves? That would be utter stupidity in the scheme of things. Whats the going rate for a player of his quality? At the Broncos, we are paying two blokes a lot more than that for nowhere near the same output.
I thought it was 100k per season not 50? If anyone deserves it, it’s Patty but overpaying other plays doesn’t justify doing it again. Payne and Fleglers contracts are horrifically player favoured as is Staggs. Give him a bump if he extends. We need to remove the expectation that players can just request raises to their current contract a year after signing.

Im certainly not dying on this hill but it’s just frustrating that the club can’t ever take advantage of a smart contract move.

Did Patty take a cut when he did his ACL and missed almost an entire season? Or got suspended for 4 games which contributed to us dropping out of the 8?

He won a spoon one season, did his ACL after about 8 games the next, and then managed 14 games this season due to injury and suspension, drank while injured. Asks for a raise because he finally lived up to expectations.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Allo
  • Stix
  • Mr Fourex
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Manlyman
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manofoneway
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Pablo
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • Maroon4life
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.