Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

It is totally different. Payne for a start has been overpayed every single year of his contract. Carrigan isnt being overpayed. Haas was basically holding the club to ransom and asking for a release if he didnt get a huge contract upgrade, Carrigan isnt looking for a release, in the scheme of things he wants a modest upgrade for a player who has dominated at Origin level ( something Haas hasnt done yet ) and is now an Australian player. I just dont see Carrigan pulling the same shit Haas did if he doesnt get his way. I dont think he will put himself above the club like Haas tried to.

I'm also sure if the Broncos wanted to tie him down for longer, he would be open to it. Thats down to the Broncos though. As i said before though, Its not uncommon for players to get a contract upgrade as they improve.
Cobbo got an upgrade and extension earlier this year... it's a common play by a club if one of their stars has a breakout year.

Give them an upgrade but also tack on a few years... it shows goodwill from the club to reward a performing player and is lower risk because the player has shown worth on the field instead of just potential.

I thought it was 100k per season not 50? If anyone deserves it, it’s Patty but overpaying other plays doesn’t justify doing it again. Payne and Fleglers contracts are horrifically player favoured as is Staggs. Give him a bump if he extends. We need to remove the expectation that players can just request raises to their current contract a year after signing.

Im certainly not dying on this hill but it’s just frustrating that the club can’t ever take advantage of a smart contract move.

Did Patty take a cut when he did his ACL and missed almost an entire season? Or got suspended for 4 games which contributed to us dropping out of the 8?

He won a spoon one season, did his ACL after about 8 games the next, and then managed 14 games this season due to injury and suspension, drank while injured. Asks for a raise because he finally lived up to expectations.
It is $100k a season. He's on $450k a year now, which plenty of people thought was too much for him when he got the contract. As i said, whats the going rate for a player who's excelled in Origin and is now an Australian player? $550k is not exactly breaking the bank. I'd have an issue if he was asking to be bumped up $200k a year, but $550k a year is fair market value for him. I think he is asking for a pay bump not because he has met expectations, but exceeded them. Lets face it, nobody on here really saw in him what he has done. Most wanted him dropped for Kobe. I dont think $100k on his current deal is overpaying him regardless of what others are on.

Depends how you want to look at things regarding paycuts. He's here now because he took a paycut on his last 2 contracts to stay here. People would have bitched about him if he jumped ship to a better contract, but he stayed loyal. To me a smart contract move now would be to upgrade him, and possibly extend him because if he has another dominant Origin series on top of another good year that $100k a year is going to turn into $250k a year if we want to keep him.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game and tbf, he didnt do his MCL this year, it was a result of another player attacking his knee illegally. The suspension as well was a bit of a joke. We all know it, he got made an example of but we should be strong enough to cope without one player anyway. Thats a weakness we have as a team. And if the worst we get is him having a beer when he shouldnt we would be in a better shape as a club. I'll take that every day over the serial offenders who have got away with shit because they are supposedly our star players.

This thing about taking a pay cut because you get injured or suspended is a bit odd to me. As i said before, if you take money off a player for things like that then if you out perform your contract then it should work the other way, you get a pay bump. Cant have it both ways.

Cobbo got an upgrade and extension earlier this year... it's a common play by a club if one of their stars has a breakout year.

Give them an upgrade but also tack on a few years... it shows goodwill from the club to reward a performing player and is lower risk because the player has shown worth on the field instead of just potential.

I think with his injury he had there still should be an element of caution with him, which to me is why an upgrade is sensible. Maybe tack on a years option in our favour but we have to be sensible. With him and Payne coming off contract at the same time we need to look at the big picture. I dont see us realistically being able to keep both on the money Payne wants if they both stay fit and play well.

It is $100k a season. He's on $450k a year now, which plenty of people thought was too much for him when he got the contract. As i said, whats the going rate for a player who's excelled in Origin and is now an Australian player? $550k is not exactly breaking the bank. I'd have an issue if he was asking to be bumped up $200k a year, but $550k a year is fair market value for him. I think he is asking for a pay bump not because he has met expectations, but exceeded them. Lets face it, nobody on here really saw in him what he has done. Most wanted him dropped for Kobe. I dont think $100k on his current deal is overpaying him regardless of what others are on.

Depends how you want to look at things regarding paycuts. He's here now because he took a paycut on his last 2 contracts to stay here. People would have bitched about him if he jumped ship to a better contract, but he stayed loyal. To me a smart contract move now would be to upgrade him, and possibly extend him because if he has another dominant Origin series on top of another good year that $100k a year is going to turn into $250k a year if we want to keep him.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game and tbf, he didnt do his MCL this year, it was a result of another player attacking his knee illegally. The suspension as well was a bit of a joke. We all know it, he got made an example of but we should be strong enough to cope without one player anyway. Thats a weakness we have as a team. And if the worst we get is him having a beer when he shouldnt we would be in a better shape as a club. I'll take that every day over the serial offenders who have got away with shit because they are supposedly our star players.

This thing about taking a pay cut because you get injured or suspended is a bit odd to me. As i said before, if you take money off a player for things like that then if you out perform your contract then it should work the other way, you get a pay bump. Cant have it both ways.

Thus is the problem, it doesn’t work both ways. If a player performs above expectations (at the Broncs only it seems by the way) they want a salary bump. Yet I didn’t see Milford’s manager asking for a salary decrease despite him stinking it up for years.

There's literally no difference between Patty asking for an upgrade while contracted and Haas asking for an upgrade while contracted.

Whether they're overpaid or underpaid is irrelevant, they both felt they were worth more money and asked for their deal to be upgraded. The only difference is the amount.

Contracts are contracts and contracts must be honored, right?

In saying that, I don't have any problem with Patty asking for an upgrade. I didn't really care when Haas asked, not going to care now.

It just highlights that players need to be smarter when negotiating contracts. Include clauses that allow for salary increases when certain targets are met.

Pretty sure that Cobbo was off contract though.

that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to give Patty the small pay rise he is requesting, he'll be the heart and soul of this team for a long time (touch wood) ... it would, however, cost him adding at least 1 extra year to the contract as well

Pretty sure that Cobbo was off contract though.

that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to give Patty the small pay rise he is requesting, he'll be the heart and soul of this team for a long time (touch wood) ... it would, however, cost him adding at least 1 extra year to the contract as well

He wasn't at the time. He was signed until the end of 2024.

He wasn't at the time. He was signed until the end of 2024.
Yeah but he was re-signed so he doesn’t hit the open market. It was upgraded as a result of time left on his contract not cause his performance demanded a pay upgrade.

Its still nothing like what Haas did no matter how people want to dress it up. Payne wanted a huge pay bump, and when he couldnt get his own way he and his management threw a hissy fit and wanted to leave. I'm sure if Payne asked for a reasonable increase ( even though he is on overs anyway ) then the club would have done it as they were already trying to extend him.

As much as the players probably need to be a bit smarter in negotiating, so does the club. A reasonable increase for a player who is performing and making a difference is a no brainer to me. It keeps the player happy and they will probably take a lower contract to stay in the future.

There's literally no difference between Patty asking for an upgrade while contracted and Haas asking for an upgrade while contracted.

Whether they're overpaid or underpaid is irrelevant, they both felt they were worth more money and asked for their deal to be upgraded. The only difference is the amount.

Contracts are contracts and contracts must be honored, right?

In saying that, I don't have any problem with Patty asking for an upgrade. I didn't really care when Haas asked, not going to care now.

It just highlights that players need to be smarter when negotiating contracts. Include clauses that allow for salary increases when certain targets are met.
I totally agree. I will stick up for players that ask for an upgrade mid-contract the day that a player after a poor year goes to their club and says I didn’t earn my full contract this year, take back X amount of my wage.

Patty asking for an upgrade after he spent half the year injured or suspended, and then we missed the finals with a horror finish on top of him missing a lot of those games, it doesn't sit right. Definitely shouldn't have been discussed with the media. If you want an upgrade, discuss quietly with the club, and organise an extension. This bloke is meant to be the next captain.

Patty asking for an upgrade after he spent half the year injured or suspended, and then we missed the finals with a horror finish on top of him missing a lot of those games, it doesn't sit right. Definitely shouldn't have been discussed with the media. If you want an upgrade, discuss quietly with the club, and organise an extension. This bloke is meant to be the next captain.
Yep, why the **** is his management running straight to the media?

No better than Payne's stunt except for timing.

That being said 150k bump for next 2 years with a 1 year extension and 2025 being at 700k, or 200k bump for next 2 years and 750k for 2025/2026, with 2 year extension.

I don’t think I agree that no one saw this in him. I always knew he had a lot of potential but he was pretty down on form the last few seasons and missed almost an entire season last year. He has now met or exceeded expectations for half a season and that entitles him to a pay rise? I would’ve liked to have seen him actually do it for a whole season first.
Then I’d be happy to give him 700k and an extension. I have no issue with giving him the raise and I agree it is the smart thing to do but I don’t particularly like the principal of it all. So maybe he’s 100k undervalued next year but he was overpaid by about 400k last season - not his fault of course but where is the concept of paying back the club?

Pay the man, it is the smart decision but as I said it just doesn’t sit right in principle.

Its still nothing like what Haas did no matter how people want to dress it up. Payne wanted a huge pay bump, and when he couldnt get his own way he and his management threw a hissy fit and wanted to leave. I'm sure if Payne asked for a reasonable increase ( even though he is on overs anyway ) then the club would have done it as they were already trying to extend him.

It isn’t like the Haas situation in the sense that Patty’s camp had the decency to wait until the off season and are yet to demand a release but Haas’ “huge” pay bump was about $150k per year. So $50k more than Patty’s “reasonable increase” of 100k. Patty is actually asking for an almost 25% pay rise to Haas’ 15% request.

I have no problem with Patty asking for a payrise for 1 reason - it is the common thing these days, so I don't blame him.
But, I am against it totally as a concept and would like to see it banned by the NRL.
Here's a concept I can support.....you signed a contract, you honour that contract.
If you improve during that contract and believe you are worth, you negotiate a higher salary at your NEXT contract.
And if you really think you deserve it now, you negotiate that next contract early, voiding the current contract and signing a new one which gives you the extra $$$ you want but gives the club some extra years. No problem with that as it's a win-win.
But in no way should you be able to keep your existing contract and just increase your salary.

I have no problem with Patty asking for a payrise for 1 reason - it is the common thing these days, so I don't blame him.
But, I am against it totally as a concept and would like to see it banned by the NRL.
Here's a concept I can support.....you signed a contract, you honour that contract.
If you improve during that contract and believe you are worth, you negotiate a higher salary at your NEXT contract.
And if you really think you deserve it now, you negotiate that next contract early, voiding the current contract and signing a new one which gives you the extra $$$ you want but gives the club some extra years. No problem with that as it's a win-win.
But in no way should you be able to keep your existing contract and just increase your salary.
I think the best outcome for both parties is Patty gets his pay pump but adds a 1 year club option extension at a slightly higher rate - $650k as an example. But I agree, I don’t like the idea of changing a contract to only benefit one party.

the NRL do something that makes sense? Haha

Probably should have had performance triggers in his contract initially thats on his manager id only do it nowif we are going to get another couple years tacked on to his contract length

You would imagine the extra year/years will be a formality…you’d think…but this is the most amateur run comp in the world so who knows. I do trust Donuts though and that he knows what he’s doing.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Thelmus
  • MasterWright
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • lakers133334
  • Browny
  • NSW stables
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.