Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

I reckon having a player that unhappy is always complicated. It's not good for anyone. Again, Using football as an example, players are unhappy all the time and want to leave so the clubs just sell them. We don't really do that in Rugby League, it's pretty much always a release from a contract with little compensation for the club.
Selling them is pointless with the salary cap unless you “sell” them for another teams cap space.

To me that is the only fair solution. We sell him to the Dolphins but they have to pay his full contract plus a negotiated transfer fee which takes away from their cap and adds to ours.

Some might say why would any club do this to get a player but the response to that would be “then don’t take another teams contracted player”.

For example, If the roosters want Payne Haas they need to cover his bronco contract value, pay him whatever extra he wants, and then pay the broncos a $300k transfer fee for the rest of his original bronco contract which is taken from their cap and added to ours.

Alternatively the player who wants out and the impacted club should be putting pressure on the player manager to find a worthwhile deal by brokering a player swap of some kind. Okay Haas’ manager, you want him to break contract but what are you offering in return? Your manager has just agitated for your release why can’t he do the same for other contracted players and offer them as compensation for releasing you? Oh he can’t? Maybe he isn’t such a hot shit manager after all and you should both sit down

Selling them is pointless with the salary cap unless you “sell” them for another teams cap space.

To me that is the only fair solution. We sell him to the Dolphins but they have to pay his full contract plus a negotiated transfer fee which takes away from their cap and adds to ours.

Some might say why would any club do this to get a player but the response to that would be “then don’t take another teams contracted player”.

For example, If the roosters want Payne Haas they need to cover his bronco contract value, pay him whatever extra he wants, and then pay the broncos a $300k transfer fee for the rest of his original bronco contract which is taken from their cap and added to ours.

Alternatively the player who wants out and the impacted club should be putting pressure on the player manager to find a worthwhile deal by brokering a player swap of some kind. Okay Haas’ manager, you want him to break contract but what are you offering in return? Your manager has just agitated for your release why can’t he do the same for other contracted players and offer them as compensation for releasing you? Oh he can’t? Maybe he isn’t such a hot shit manager after all and you should both sit down

I think coming off a teams cap space would work, but the NRL probably wouldn't allow it. Works in football really because you don't have a salary cap getting in the way. Swap deals would work as well providing you can get a decent player in exchange.

Generally, once you get an unhappy player for whatever reason, i think its best to get shot of them. You dont want the negativity around the place. Look at what happened with us after the Haas debacle. I think it had some effect on our season. Luckily, with somebody like Oloapu its not going to filter into the top 30 players unless the club have done the wrong thing by him. It wont matter what any investigation from the NRL says, the players will know internally if the club have done anything wrong. If they lose faith in management, your answers imo will come on the field.

I think coming off a teams cap space would work, but the NRL probably wouldn't allow it. Works in football really because you don't have a salary cap getting in the way. Swap deals would work as well providing you can get a decent player in exchange.

Generally, once you get an unhappy player for whatever reason, i think its best to get shot of them. You dont want the negativity around the place. Look at what happened with us after the Haas debacle. I think it had some effect on our season. Luckily, with somebody like Oloapu its not going to filter into the top 30 players unless the club have done the wrong thing by him. It wont matter what any investigation from the NRL says, the players will know internally if the club have done anything wrong. If they lose faith in management, your answers imo will come on the field.

It can't work in league when the player isn't even on your cap at this stage.

Leigh Matthews said he encountered it all the time at the Lions coaching- I want to go home, I am miserable etc and he said you can't ever budge you just have to help them and show them the Lions are the place for them.

That is Wayne and Kev poker face talk for Tesi has signed with the Dolphins
From what I've seen, by the time we get to hear a player has permission to negotiate with other clubs they're already signed or are well into talks. The club is more likely to deny it until the transfer is announced by the other club or a journalist, than do what happened with Turpin. And for that matter I wouldn't be surprised if Jake had already found another home but the club denied the transfer at the last minute when Paix got hurt. Or something like that.

If Wayne says he's interested it means he's already been talking to his manager, probably without permission. It's just about money at this point.

It can't work in league when the player isn't even on your cap at this stage.

Leigh Matthews said he encountered it all the time at the Lions coaching- I want to go home, I am miserable etc and he said you can't ever budge you just have to help them and show them the Lions are the place for them.
Cant budge as in never let them leave?

Cant budge as in never let them leave?

Yep, he said if every kid that comes in here saying I want to go back to Perth gets to go then I’ll have 12 next week.

He would show them Brisbane, take on the guidance role, get Voss and Black to help and he said nearly every time within a few months they saw that life was pretty good.

But the key was that guidance and help, just saying sucked in doesn’t work.

For whatever reason Karl doesn’t feel too loved at the moment. He’s got bad advice and family/manager are in his ear. Broncos are trying to take the Matthew’s approach.

All this nonsense would go away if the NRL implemented a set of standard, fixed length, nonnegotiable contracts between club and player. There would be no wiggle room by either party, except under specified (TBD) circumstances - serious misdemeanor etc.

For example:

1. A standard contract for players with X games NRL experience, under the age of Y, is 2 years.
2. A standard contract for players with less than X games NRL experience is 1 year.
3. A standard extension is 2 years. 10% of the value would be exempt from the Salary Cap.
4. Further Salary Cap relief applies to extensions after 5 years service with that club.
5. If both club and player agree, a player can transfer to another club, but the pay contract remains with the former club and the new club reimburses the former club plus 10% of the value, which counts towards their Cap.
6. First season players, if promoted from Development get X% relief from the Salary Cap.
7. After X years with a club, players can enter a contract for a longer than 2 year extension.

I don't know exactly but basically any shit that provides incentive for players to remain with their clubs, and punishes other clubs from poaching. Once you agree to your 2 year extension, that's it. No bonuses or upgrades until your next contract. So think hard about it.

Almost all the shitfights involve players bound to a club for more than 2 years, who are now worth more on the open market.

Yep, he said if every kid that comes in here saying I want to go back to Perth gets to go then I’ll have 12 next week.

He would show them Brisbane, take on the guidance role, get Voss and Black to help and he said nearly every time within a few months they saw that life was pretty good.

But the key was that guidance and help, just saying sucked in doesn’t work.

For whatever reason Karl doesn’t feel too loved at the moment. He’s got bad advice and family/manager are in his ear. Broncos are trying to take the Matthew’s approach.

Its a little different with Oloapu though as its a totally different situation from somebody being homesick. Showing him Brisbane isnt going to change his mind. Hopefully, he sticks it out and gets over his little hissy fit. Problem everyone has is we just dont know and will never really know what the truth is in the whole saga.

Its a little different with Oloapu though as its a totally different situation from somebody being homesick. Showing him Brisbane isnt going to change his mind. Hopefully, he sticks it out and gets over his little hissy fit. Problem everyone has is we just dont know and will never really know what the truth is in the whole saga.

It's not that different at all, you can still show him the value of the Broncos and the people around him.

You want him to feel like the Broncos are his home.

The Lions and Broncs’ situations are like chalk and cheese though. If a kid in the AFL is homesick or whatever, you’ve got until trade period to convince them otherwise, so this is likely at least 11 months for draftees.

Plus if the kid leaves, you get compensation either via trade or compensation draft picks. So whatever the case, you might not win out of it but you get something

North Melbourne had exactly this issue this year with Jason Horne-Francis, last year’s number 1 pick. They had 12 months to convince him to stay and although they weren’t successful, they got several very high draft picks in return.

How does any of that compare to the NRL’s free for all and lack of anything whatsoever going to the team that loses the player? And given there is no draft or trade period?

If this big baby keeps throwing mud, what recourse do the Broncs have? You haven’t got 11 months to convince him otherwise as if you grant a release because he whinges enough, it is immediate.

The NRL, unlike the AFL, are gutless and just don’t want to get involved because it’s too hard.

The two situations are almost nothing alike.

The Lions and Broncs’ situations are like chalk and cheese though. If a kid in the AFL is homesick or whatever, you’ve got until trade period to convince them otherwise, so this is likely at least 11 months for draftees.

Plus if the kid leaves, you get compensation either via trade or compensation draft picks. So whatever the case, you might not win out of it but you get something

North Melbourne had exactly this issue this year with Jason Horne-Francis, last year’s number 1 pick. They had 12 months to convince him to stay and although they weren’t successful, they got several very high draft picks in return.

How does any of that compare to the NRL’s free for all and lack of anything whatsoever going to the team that loses the player? And given there is no draft or trade period?

If this big baby keeps throwing mud, what recourse do the Broncs have? You haven’t got 11 months to convince him otherwise as if you grant a release because he whinges enough, it is immediate.

The NRL, unlike the AFL, are gutless and just don’t want to get involved because it’s too hard.

The two situations are almost nothing alike.

Again, it's the same because you have to convince the player that your program, club and set up is what he wants/needs. He's clearly lost sight of that. Whether that is because he thinks it or been told it.

Karl can't see that at the moment. Someone has convinced him that Broncos are not what is best for him, and he's taken it.

Matthews knew and Ikin knows that a happy player very rarely wants to leave. There is some sort of disconnect there at the moment. Broncos need to show him.

Again, it's the same because you have to convince the player that your program, club and set up is what he wants/needs. He's clearly lost sight of that. Whether that is because he thinks it or been told it.

Karl can't see that at the moment. Someone has convinced him that Broncos are not what is best for him, and he's taken it.

Matthews knew and Ikin knows that a happy player very rarely wants to leave. There is some sort of disconnect there at the moment. Broncos need to show him.

I’m speculating here but I highly that much of that is true and I could definitely be wrong. However, I think what Karl or whoever it is in his ear here is telling him is that the money at The is likely twice or more what he is currently on.

Plus a top 30 spot automatically guarantees that it might even be triple what he is on. He isn’t even 18, like aside from Suaalii last year, how many other 17 year olds right now are top 30? Is there even 1?

If The has told him, again speculation, you get out of your contract, we’ll give you triple what you are on, maybe even flash the contract unofficially or show a slip of paper and hey suddenly, ‘Today is a good day’ for his manager.

So again, this all is incredibly unlikely to be anything about culture and all about money.

Funny he had no issue until The started doing some dodgy shenanigans openly hey. And again, there is no trade period months away so what recourse do the Broncs have here without the backing of the code’s management? Almost nothing.

This is almost nothing alike to the AFL’s MUCH better system man.

I’m speculating here but I highly that much of that is true and I could definitely be wrong. However, I think what Karl or whoever it is in his ear here is telling him is that the money at The is likely twice or more what he is currently on.

Plus a top 30 spot automatically guarantees that it might even be triple what he is on. He isn’t even 18, like aside from Suaalii last year, how many other 17 year olds right now are top 30? Is there even 1?

If The has told him, again speculation, you get out of your contract, we’ll give you triple what you are on, maybe even flash the contract unofficially or show a slip of paper and hey suddenly, ‘Today is a good day’ for his manager.

So again, this all is incredibly unlikely to be anything about culture and all about money.

Funny he had no issue until The started doing some dodgy shenanigans openly hey. And again, there is no trade period months away so what recourse do the Broncs have here without the backing of the code’s management? Almost nothing.

This is almost nothing alike to the AFL’s MUCH better system man.

Broncos can't control any of that, they can just control their program and the contract they have.

If they want a happy young 17-year-old playing good football, then they have to sell it to him.

If they can't turn it around then they're are going to have a kid sitting there doing nothing for three years or release him when it reaches a point when they have no choice.

Given they let go of Gray and see Karl as the future they're not going to release him so they have to fix it.

Again you're comparing two things I am not comparing- I haven't compared systems I have compared a coach saying you need happy players and you need to make them see they can be happy.

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

I reckon having a player that unhappy is always complicated. It's not good for anyone. Again, Using football as an example, players are unhappy all the time and want to leave so the clubs just sell them. We don't really do that in Rugby League, it's pretty much always a release from a contract with little compensation for the club.
I don’t think it really matters if he’s not going to train or play.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Johnny92
  • Allo
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.