Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Gamble was probably on $250k or so and we knew he could come in and do a job to cover for Reynolds... I dont know if Madden can come in and play 7.

IMO, Madden has got more skill than Gamble. He doesn't have the pest factor that Gamble possesses though.

At the right price it’s a fine signing if we hadn’t already signed Asi and Walters. We just signed 2 low ceiling inexperienced young halves in the span of a week.

The only report I have seen about us signing Asi is on here ... and even then it is only a train and trial, so we haven't even really signed him yet

What's a good price for a depth half though?

$250k, $300k, $350k??

For us the back up half will be required because Reynolds wont play 24 games a year... and for us the quality of our depth half could be whether we're in or out of the finals... because we are an 8th/9th placed team.

Gamble was probably on $250k or so and we knew he could come in and do a job to cover for Reynolds... I dont know if Madden can come in and play 7.

I'm hoping those in charge have seen that he can do it in NSW cup and if he can, and if he's come on a good deal... then all good by me.

But given there was competition for his signature and all I can really recall of him is a bit of a running game at 6... then I'm hoping we havent wasted a top 30 spot after getting rid of Gamble.

I just think there's risks to the signing
Gamble played 2 games without Reynolds there. He played 5/8th or bench every game this year. Those 2 games he played were against Newcastle and the titans and we nearly lost both despite being a winning streak already. People need to stop re-writing history with gamble being the greatest depth half in history. Without Reynolds he has a 33% win rate (6/18, most from 5/8th). He was great depth with great fire and pester in him but madden has slightly more skill. Sure its a risk, every signing is, and I very, very much doubt he's come here for much above base rate, more opportunities I'd say. Probably won't be as good a player with covering, but he might be better for team dynamics. If thay is the case that is far more important with squad players and maybe that's why gamble is gone given his recent comments and attitude to being dropped.

Haven't seen anything of Madden really but looks to go alright in his 21 NSW cup highlights on YouTube.
Still young and would of missed a fair chunk of footy in cup through covid so still in the development stage really.
If it's a good price it's a good signing.

I would have preferred clifford or a player with a bit more maturity and authority on the field, but failing that as a depth option he is a decent pick up. Some nrl experience, nsw cup experience and junior rep. He won the magpies nsw cup player of the year in 2021 too.

He knows he is behind reynolds, so I gather he is coming up here relatively cheap to learn from a top tier half to improve his game, which shows some maturity and not short sighted trying to rush into top grade..

I always thought Madden looked reasonably decent. Havent seen him a great deal though so i could well be wrong.
Pretty happy with it tbh 22yo half for two years lines up for the end of areys contract gives you 12 months to see how he progresses in the broncos system as a potential replacement wouldnt be shocked if there was another signing in the halves similar to this for around the same time length.

Reckon it was reported that he has signed with Panthers to replace Saun O’Sullavan who’s Dolphins bound. Did he not?

It was reported that the Panthers were the favourites to sign him and that's where he was likely heading, but he never actually signed.

Madden and Clifford would be great back ups. Let them duke it out to be Reynolds' heir.

Good signing IMO. Shown enough this year in the bigs.

Have a look at how Tannah Boyd came on when he got some consistent game time in his preferred position.
Madden is young has some skill as well.

We will be losing Kelly too you would think. From what I have seen of Madden he is better than Tyson, Billy and Kelly, so its a step in the right direction imo.
Shades of Croft in this one - schoolboy pedigree etc - except instead of being bounced on his way to a Grand Final, it's a Wooden Spoon.

If we’ve signed Madden to replace Billy than I’m all for it
Haven't signed or been associated anyone yet who's a threat to Billy's job security, who now seems to hold the mortgage on hooker, either starting or from the bench. There's no question they need to secure a genuine hooker, who's an upgrade on Turpin, leaving Billy and Paix to fight it out for the bench. Happy team list Tuesday in advance on that one.

Active Now

• something
  • azza.79
  • BRC088
  • Financeguy
  • Fitzy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Old Mate
  • Browny
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • Alec
  • Socnorb
  • lynx000
  • Matheos
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Santa
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.