Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Kevin Walters:

“Deine is definitely staying here, 100 per cent. This is a big year for Deine, he is still only young, but we expect him to play some more first grade this year and that will be the plan for him. It’s about learning and getting better and I feel he has a long future at the Broncos.”​
“I’m not sure what happened with the Dolphins’ poaching attempt, but the good thing is he was locked in here. He has some good staff around him to get him better, we’ve got Darius working with him and he is learning from guys like Kotoni Staggs and Herbie Farnworth. Deine will make some big improvements here.”​

Thomas Flegler is likely to reject a big Manly offer (est. ~4 million over 6 years, starting in 2024) and stay with the Broncos:

“I have been at the Broncos since I was a kid and I don‘t plan on leaving. For myself, I need to play good footy, more importantly for the team rather than myself. You would be lying if you said you didn’t think about it, but I have been at the Broncos since I was 15 and this is home for me.”​
“I haven’t thought about making a final decision at the moment. First things first is to have a good pre-season and train hard and then I guess we will get into those contract talks next year. I came through the Broncos under-20s with the majority of the NRL squad so I don’t see myself moving any time soon.”​
“Nothing (that he gets penalized for) is intentional but I am an aggressive player and I’m not going to stop that. Some tackles will slip up or the ones that aren’t intentional are the hip drops, but that’s just the game we play in today. Things will happen accidentally, but I’m an aggressive guy and that’s the way I will continue to play. I do work on my discipline, it does let me down at times but I plan on staying on the field for the majority of the season.”​

Lol of course he is. Like hell I would be going to Manly knowing Pies is there and the general state of the joint.

Kevin Walters:

“Deine is definitely staying here, 100 per cent. This is a big year for Deine, he is still only young, but we expect him to play some more first grade this year and that will be the plan for him. It’s about learning and getting better and I feel he has a long future at the Broncos.”​
“I’m not sure what happened with the Dolphins’ poaching attempt, but the good thing is he was locked in here. He has some good staff around him to get him better, we’ve got Darius working with him and he is learning from guys like Kotoni Staggs and Herbie Farnworth. Deine will make some big improvements here.”​
Broncos: Congrats to Darius who will be coaching our outside backs this season

Deine: immediate release please

Kevin Walters:

The Kevvie kiss of death I see, he'll be at the Storm next year.

Broncos: Congrats to Darius who will be coaching our outside backs this season

Deine: immediate release please
Darius was one of the best players at running backline and putting either the winger or centre in for a try. So have Boyd help our fullback is a good idea.

Darius was one of the best players at running backline and putting either the winger or centre in for a try. So have Boyd help our fullback is a good idea.
That's true, but he's been involved with mentoring our fullbacks ever since he relinquished the position, both as a contracted player and ex-player. The only time I can recall us not being a basket case at the back was in the first spell that Te Maire stood in for Tesi. I don't remember exactly when Boyd himself went to shit, but he was extremely stinky throughout the Seibold years and was a disastrous captain.

As much as I like Flegler and the way he plays, his brand of aggressive, enforcer footy is being intentionally eradicated by the NRL.

Big (completely legal) hits are often penalised now for no reason other than appearing violent, and with aggression and intensity comes the potential for arms or shoulders accidentally making contact with the head. Even if this contact is totally accidental (or even unavoidable) and no damage is done, it still results in ridiculous unnecessary sin bins, send offs and suspensions.

Flegs has all the skills of a good prop, but the things that could make him truly terrific as a player are the same things that would make him a liability. More than happy for him to stay on reasonable money and hope he can try to reign it all in and find a way to exist in today's soft game, but I think a team would be stupid to pay an enforcer player like Flegler or Radley big bucks anymore. A player like Tallis nowadays would be exactly the same - a penalty and suspension magnet that hurts the team more than helps.

Really unfortunate... would love to have seen a player like Flegler going bezerk in the 80s / 90s before everything became so pathetic.
Disagree - Flegler just doesnt play for the storm or roosters where their enforcers get away with blue murder week in week out for the same shit Flegler does in which he receives a month suspension.

The Kevvie kiss of death I see, he'll be at the Storm next year.
Jokes aside, I'm not sure how great it is that we pretty much dismiss anything our master tactician says as either he's lying (for whatever reason), doesn't understand the question, can't articulate an answer or doesn't have a clue what's going on. Unlike Bennett, who we never know what to believe. We only know he's playing 4D chess with us and he's three moves ahead.

Kevvie was definitely the better footballer, though. That has to count for something, right?

Jokes aside, I'm not sure how great it is that we pretty much dismiss anything our master tactician says as either he's lying (for whatever reason), doesn't understand the question, can't articulate an answer or doesn't have a clue what's going on. Unlike Bennett, who we never know what to believe. We only know he's playing 4D chess with us and he's three moves ahead.

Kevvie was definitely the better footballer, though. That has to count for something, right?

Give it a rest man.

Disagree - Flegler just doesnt play for the storm or roosters where their enforcers get away with blue murder week in week out for the same shit Flegler does in which he receives a month suspension.
And praised for doing so

Badel reporting that Palasia has requested an early release because he wants to be a starter and he is stuck behind stuck behind a number of middle-forwards headlined by Payne Haas, Tom Flegler and Pat Carrigan.

at this stage the release hasn't been granted because he is in Kev's plans for 2023 ... he is free to negotiate with rivals for 2024 and it sounds like he wants to go to the Titans

Keenan Palasia Said:

“I have let ‘Kevvie’ know I would prefer to head home,”

“I spoke to Kevvie about it.

“He said he wants to keep me and there is a role for me within the squad.

“The Broncos have been good to me, which is why I stayed loyal last time, and Kev has been great in how straight he is with his decisions and communication.

“But I feel I can be a starting player.

“My best years are ahead of me and I want to play at a club which I feel better suits my style of play.”

We are actually going to have to play it smart with our middle forwards. Flegler, Jensen and Palasia this year, Carrigan and Haas next year. You could even throw Robati into the mix as well. I still dont see us being able to build a decent, well balanced pack if we spend big on Flegler, Carrigan and Haas.

He can go, we don’t really need him.

In a few years time it’s going to be the norm to have a backup hooker and a utility on the bench with where the game is headed, so there will be even less use for him then.

Give it a rest man.
You might need to explain your joke to me. I read it as you forcing the meme that Kevvie isn't credible. I see it didn't get any laughs so I must have misread you.

I like him but I can't stand how all of this rubbish keeps getting played out in the media. Plus if he leaves, at least he will no longer be played as a second rower thankfully.

I couldn't care less what you think, the message is clear:

Stop turning every thread into an anti-Kevvie or anti-Billy tirade.
But wasn't that the theme of your wisecrack? You might want to watch what withering remarks you say about Kevvie in future.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Fitzy
  • Stix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.