Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

You need to make a stand against players who place themselves above the club.. It's obviously a balancing act and you do need to think with nuance, however making a stand can pay off in spades... look at how Milf was treated and how the Grit have responded.
Complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Haas has never given anything less than a 100% in every game from day 1. Milford has been an overpaid plodder who phones it in and wrecked our cap for years.

Haas never went on record to say a thing actually. He has always been incredibly professional in the media, his management did a thing trying to be smart, it didn't play out, he continued to give his all. Unlike most, I don't hold grudges against players because they did something silly, he's a young man who's had an incredibly tough upbringing by two horrible, horrible role models. To even get to where he is in life is an incredible achievement.

Walsh had a bigger tantrum and immediately left the club when he wasn't promoted, yet he's my favourite Bronco right now.

Haas will rightfully get a 1m contract when he renews, of that I am certain, and he has earned it by what he does on the field. 1m is like 750k on the old cap and he's worth that. Easily. Reynolds and Walsh can't do anything if the props don't carry us to the other end of the field, there's a reason props are the highest paid in the game outside of the spine and Haas, week after week, every game, produces the output of two props. He's a moneyball signing even at 1m.

Spine players are now 1.25m for your elite tiers, props are 1m, and everyone else fights for scraps at around the 400k mark.

Its not about being salty about last year. I think he owes us, lesser players would have been kicked out of the Broncos a long time ago for some of the crap he has done while at this club.

Couldnt care less what other clubs do really. He isnt going to want to be paid a million a year, he made it clear he wasnt happy with a million. He and his management reportedly were demanding upgrades of $1 million a year for this year and $1.2 million for 2024 alone when he had his little hissy fit and asked to leave. He's not going to be happy with a million a year, which is already a ridiculous salary for him anyway imo, he will be looking at closer to the $1.2 million.

Why should we expect Carrigan, who is probably more important to us anyway, and has excelled in Origin which Payne hasnt yet, to take less money than he would have easily got elsewhere so Payne can get overpayed? As i said earlier, the best teams have multiple players who are prepared to all sacrifice a little to keep the better players. If he is chasing anything near like he was looking at last year, thats going to be $2 million a year on 2 props. Thats not practical. I think in the next few months we will see how much desire he has to stay and win things with his mates or how much he just wants money. I still believe there can be a balance of the two if he is willing to give a little.
1.2 is too much but it's not like we are not in a stronger negotiation position then last time, it's not like our other forwards other then these two are going to be even close to this money so It's still balanced, we are also the Broncos which you may have forgotten we have the best 3rd party deals possible to offset a cap, I don't think Haas will be in a position to get any of that soon given what he did last year but for players like Patty he can easily make a million or more when you add that in.

everyone is earning more, forget about headline figures of what a million dollar player is, because sooner or later it's going to be basically every good rep player.

1.2 is too much but it's not like we are not in a stronger negotiation position then last time, it's not like our other forwards other then these two are going to be even close to this money so It's still balanced, we are also the Broncos which you may have forgotten we have the best 3rd party deals possible to offset a cap, I don't think Haas will be in a position to get any of that soon given what he did last year but for players like Patty he can easily make a million or more when you add that in.

everyone is earning more, forget about headline figures of what a million dollar player is, because sooner or later it's going to be basically every good rep player.
Carrigan would be on 950k IMO. I don't believe he signed on for 800k under the new cap. He would be fielding offers up to or even over 1m. I guess we'll never know because salary is always speculation but I'd bet he's on a 950k deal now and he only took unders partly for loyalty but also because he would have to wait 18 months to get a pay bump if he signed elsewhere.

He'll definitely secure some cash for advertising too, he's a popular guy, could easily gross 1.2m a year if not more.

Carrigan would be on 950k IMO. I don't believe he signed on for 800k under the new cap. He would be fielding offers up to or even over 1m. I guess we'll never know because salary is always speculation but I'd bet he's on a 950k deal now and he only took unders partly for loyalty but also because he would have to wait 18 months to get a pay bump if he signed elsewhere.
but with 3rd Party deals that are uncapped?

he can easily be well over 1 mil.

I'm not sure though we should be relying on third party deals to top these blokes up when it comes to their main contracts.

I'm still of the opinion though he cant have his cake and eat it. If we overpay him we start losing players and we wont always find somebody cheap like Jensen and Marty to offset it, or rely on unproven kids to step up. We have already seen that doesnt work on more than one occasion. Then we get weakened as a side because we get stuck with an unbalaced cap again. He's got to do what Pat did imo if we are to take him at his word.

He'll definitely secure some cash for advertising too, he's a popular guy, could easily gross 1.2m a year if not more.

I dont think Pat is on over $900k. I'd be surprised if he is on more than $850k tbh, but he's probably more likely than anyone else at the club right now to have the best 3rd party deals though.

I'm not sure though we should be relying on third party deals to top these blokes up when it comes to their main contracts.

I'm still of the opinion though he cant have his cake and eat it. If we overpay him we start losing players and we wont always find somebody cheap like Jensen and Marty to offset it, or rely on unproven kids to step up. We have already seen that doesnt work on more than one occasion. Then we get weakened as a side because we get stuck with an unbalaced cap again. He's got to do what Pat did imo if we are to take him at his word.
it depends though, because the 3rd party deals have their own contract lengths, if they are multi year it's not exactly risky, they are not going to have the same potential for those deals playing for someone else a Perk of our club.

Haas is must keep for mine. He is still only on the cusp of his potential. We owe him good coin after he carried our team through it's worst period ever, and he owes us by committing long term again like Pat has.

I think he owes us more than we owe him. He's been very, very well paid in his entire time at the club right from the start when he had proved absolutely nothing as a player, and he's been a complete **** on numerous occasions and thats not including his stupidity behind the wheel.

People get carried away a fair bit with a lot of players and i think after last night Payne is falling into that area. At the moment, we have seen a 10 min spell last night where he gave us a glimpse of what he can actually be with his running, offloads and passing. If we were getting that week in week out then i think he would have a very strong argument for big, big money because adding that to his athleticism gives you an almost unstoppable forward. We really need him to start doing that consistently. Might sound harsh when he's been consistently good at making meters, but to be the best paid prop in the game he needs more.

I think he owes us more than we owe him. He's been very, very well paid in his entire time at the club right from the start when he had proved absolutely nothing as a player, and he's been a complete **** on numerous occasions and thats not including his stupidity behind the wheel.

People get carried away a fair bit with a lot of players and i think after last night Payne is falling into that area. At the moment, we have seen a 10 min spell last night where he gave us a glimpse of what he can actually be with his running, offloads and passing. If we were getting that week in week out then i think he would have a very strong argument for big, big money because adding that to his athleticism gives you an almost unstoppable forward. We really need him to start doing that consistently. Might sound harsh when he's been consistently good at making meters, but to be the best paid prop in the game he needs more.

He hasn't been coached very well for most of his tenure, has he though? That's why I think we are on the cusp of his potential, he's finally in a red hot team and now he needs to lift to meet the standard instead of everyone having to lift to meet his.

In terms of pay, he's similar to Patty in that he became worth much more very quickly. He's also got x factor on top, adds value. Pat and Haas is the forward combo in the comp, must keep imo. Personal dislike aside, just value adds too much to the side overall.

He hasn't been coached very well for most of his tenure, has he though? That's why I think we are on the cusp of his potential, he's finally in a red hot team and now he needs to lift to meet the standard instead of everyone having to lift to meet his.

In terms of pay, he's similar to Patty in that he became worth much more very quickly. He's also got x factor on top, adds value. Pat and Haas is the forward combo in the comp, must keep imo. Personal dislike aside, just value adds too much to the side overall.

For me its still all going to depend on his demands. I've still got huge doubts he is going to drop what he is looking for, and if he doesnt we should move on.

I know we all get

if you can afford to lock down Patty, Haas, Mam, Walsh, and hopefully Mozer long term then you can basically plug in any other players around them and be reasonably successful. Keep those 5 together and the rest of the team can be made up of a combination of cheaper established players like Jensen, Oates, Tapau, Palasia, and young stars who are still on their cheap first contracts like Mariner (an Mam currently).

Just depends how much it leaves for the rest of the squad.

I know we all get

if you can afford to lock down Patty, Haas, Mam, Walsh, and hopefully Mozer long term then you can basically plug in any other players around them and be reasonably successful. Keep those 5 together and the rest of the team can be made up of a combination of cheaper established players like Jensen, Oates, Tapau, Palasia, and young stars who are still on their cheap first contracts like Mariner (an Mam currently).

I reckon you need a back locked in too. Is Cobbo it?

I know we all get

The hard part will be getting the value for money players to fill in the gaps. Storm have been a bit of anomoly in a lot of ways with the amount of average players they have made to work for them.

The hard part will be getting the value for money players to fill in the gaps. Storm have been a bit of anomoly in a lot of ways with the amount of average players they have made to work for them.
For sure. Oates, Paix/Walters, Palasia, Marty, Arthurs, Hetherington, could possibly include Capewell and Riki too . They’ve been doing alright

For sure. Oates, Paix/Walters, Palasia, Marty, Arthurs, Hetherington, could possibly include Capewell and Riki too . They’ve been doing alright

They have, but i guess the problem you get is if they do well, we can no longer afford them so we need to find the next one. I think thats where it gets difficult.

They have, but i guess the problem you get is if they do well, we can no longer afford them so we need to find the next one. I think thats where it gets difficult.
Yeah that’s the Melbourne model and we are about to see if Penrith can pull it off too. It’s the only way under the cap to have prolonged success rather than going all in on a short premiership window.

You lock down a core player group, with emphasis on the spine and then you fill the rest with good value players - generally either young talent that hasn’t got to that big contract stage yet, or older talent that the market undervalues due to age or lack of opportunities.

They all either come off contract and leave for the pay like Herbie and Flegler, or they get too old to provide value like Marty in next year or the one after; or like TMM and Jensen they reestablish a correct market value.

You get good at identifying these guys and know when to let them go: we’ve been doing a fantastic job of it recently and will hopefully only get better at it. Hopefully Dave gave Melbourne’s secret code to Scanlans.

Ir just means a revolving door of guys who you squeeze value out of for 2, maybe 3 seasons at a time. Plus if you have continued success guys will want to come for cheaper and for opportunity to get a bigger deal when leaving.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.