Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

And with Wayne essentially a non-issue after next year - unless something amazing happens, when the Bromwich bros retire, that club is going to have a few tough years. Most clubs struggle post Bennett.
Before he hands the reigns to Woolf in 2025, the old fox will make sure that he take it to a point where it becomes too much suffocation for our board and coaching department with constant attempts on our roaster & prospects. I’m sure our team under DD is very well prepared for it. At the end, all his ego will catch up to him which, he won’t acknowledge.

You can talk about Payne being worth $1m as many have, but the real question (to me at least) is can you pay both Payne and Patty $1m? Because whatever the money is, I think they each deserve the same.

You can talk about Payne being worth $1m as many have, but the real question (to me at least) is can you pay both Payne and Patty $1m? Because whatever the money is, I think they each deserve the same.
Just my opinion but .. I believe that if Payne commits long term, as Patty has done, then he definitely does deserve the same amount.

the way i see it is payne is the better player so he should get the better deal but patty isnt far behind , either way these 2 need to be kept together for us to win premierships.

Paynes better yes but Patty is more important to the team

I'd argue Payne isnt better. They bring different things to the table. Payne makes heaps of meters, which isnt the be all and end all of everything. It remains to be seen if he can add what he did in that last 10 mins last week consistently. Right now i think Patty has more strings to his bow, he's just not as good an athlete as Payne is.

I'd argue Payne isnt better. They bring different things to the table. Payne makes heaps of meters, which isnt the be all and end all of everything. It remains to be seen if he can add what he did in that last 10 mins last week consistently. Right now i think Patty has more strings to his bow, he's just not as good an athlete as Payne is.

If Payne produces his final 10 minutes last week every week he's worth more than Patty, otherwise they are pretty even but in different ways.
Patty will be/is the face of the club over Payne and will pick up extra bits on the side sponsors, appearances, radio etc.
So you could probably give Payne a bigger contract but Pat would still earn more.

That's utter rubbish. If you are a club with integrity your achievements on the field should have nothing to do with how you are treated. Payne has got away with stuff a lesser player wouldn't have. Simple as that. We have had players in the past done far less severe things than Payne and got the boot. Trying to excuse his behaviour based on performance on field is laughable.
I don’t think it’s necessarily a fair comparison. Payne by all accounts has been an incredible trainer and reliable clubman. If you’re a fantastic employee over years of service (not just performance but effort) then it should be considered when being punished.

I don’t know what LBB brings to the club but if he is a mediocre employee, not very talented, and has conduct issues then it’s fair he isn’t treated the same as Haas

I don’t think it’s necessarily a fair comparison. Payne by all accounts has been an incredible trainer and reliable clubman. If you’re a fantastic employee over years of service (not just performance but effort) then it should be considered when being punished.

I don’t know what LBB brings to the club but if he is a mediocre employee, not very talented, and has conduct issues then it’s fair he isn’t treated the same as Haas
Id argue Payne hasnt been a reliable clubman when you consider to varying degrees he has had 7 indicents over the years and had a big hand in derailing our year in 2022.

You just can't have one rule for one player and one for another in terms of what you let them get away with. I'd agree with you if it's one or 2 incidents. You can't though let Payne do what he has done and, Hypothetically, get rid of another player for a fraction of the incidents he has done here.

I think people are using my LBB comparison too literally. Could have been any of our backup players. Discipline should have nothing to do with ability.

Just my opinion but .. I believe that if Payne commits long term, as Patty has done, then he definitely does deserve the same amount.
Yes, but my point wasn't "does Payne deserve the same as Patty?" because he does and I don't think anybody would argue against that.
The issue is the belief / prediction / whatever that Payne will want more, and can you afford to do that, can you afford financially under a salary cap to give Payne the massive contract we think he wants and then give Patty the same?
Or can you afford, emotionally, without disrupting team dynamics, to pay the loyal club man, captain in waiting, according to Johns Aus captain in waiting, less than the guy who wanted out of his contract mid year?

Yes, but my point wasn't "does Payne deserve the same as Patty?" because he does and I don't think anybody would argue against that.

are you new here. @Wolfie has spent the last two days arguing that exact point

Haas knows that either the Dolphins will offer 1.5 million a season or the Roosters will give him whatever he wants and more. A money hungry guy with a moron manager isn’t going to take half that to stay at Brissy.

I would be very very surprised if payne signs a new deal before November. Hope I'm wrong

Haas knows that either the Dolphins will offer 1.5 million a season or the Roosters will give him whatever he wants and more. A money hungry guy with a moron manager isn’t going to take half that to stay at Brissy.
I'm hoping he's turned the corner and isn't a **** any more. He seems a bit more settled at the moment than he has been. As I keep saying, he says he wants to stay here with his mates, hopefully he does it.

I would be very very surprised if payne signs a new deal before November. Hope I'm wrong

I can't see him moving to Sydney, too much reliant family here. He'll stay local - Titans don't have the money, so it's us or The.

Surely the premiership we can all smell cooking plus close to a million (but not over) will be enough to keep him. I'm optimistic - most of all that the saga won't derail the season.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • LittleDavey
  • bazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • jd87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • ezpz
  • Foordy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.