2. Leota
3. Mariner
4. Cobbo
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Walker
8. Willison
9. Mozer
10. Haas (not re-signed unless he wants to take a 500k plus price cut)
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Bukowski
15. Te Kura
16. Semu
17. Armstrong
I fuckin love that team. Especially, 9 & 14 gives me so much hope already. Wish we could have them in the 17 for the rest of the season. They surely cant be any worse.

Agree with others. It's purely a job for this bloke. Gives the impression the $$ matter more than the Ws.
As strange or odd it may sound, he didn't want to cop the $2000(?) fine for his late hit on Riff’s player in 2022 grand final. Instead, he opted to sit out few rounds of 2023 but before start of 2023 season, he copped the fine I reckon.

As strange or odd it may sound, he didn't want to cop the $2000(?) fine for his late hit on Riff’s player in 2022 grand final. Instead, he opted to sit out few rounds of 2023 but before start of 2023 season, he copped the fine I reckon.
Grade 1 crusher. My memory is he took the 3 weeks instead of the $4k . I think he may have tried to undo it at some stage due to the backlash he copped but couldn't.

New light has been shed on Eels gun Ryan Matterson's baffling decision to take a three-game suspension over paying a $4,000 fine.

Matterson has come under heavy criticism for the decision, stemming from a crusher charge from the Eels' grand final loss to the Panthers.

"The explanation that's been put forward is [the fine] came to him during the downtime after the grand final when they were obviously unhappy," Danny Weidler said on Nine's 100% Footy.

"He was really annoyed by it and said, 'Stuff it, I'm not paying a fine'.

"Three days later, he said, 'Well, I probably should pay it', but by then the NRL … I don't think they wanted to open another avenue for players to change their mind, so they said no."

In Matterson's absence, the Eels have lost their first three matches of the season in tight affairs.

Looking at the off contract list for 2025, I would be targeting these blokes for squad purposes in order of preference:

Fullback: Perham
Wing: Oates, Skelton, Vaega, Valemei, Tuala, Cini
Centre: Alamoti, Iro (doubt will be in price range), Smith, Tass, Simonsson, Seve
Halves: Sexton, Clifford, Weaver
Middles: Eisenhuth (either or both), Taupau, S.Mitchell, Stimson, Tevaga
Second-Row: Haas, Jones
Hooker: Not needed

Interesting when you look at the fullback options from other clubs, I think we need to look at Q Cup. There are certainly some decent options on the wing, middles and halves.

Given we've extended Rogers, I doubt we are looking for halves though but really, it would be nice for us to move to secure Haas if we can asap and hopefully the rumours about Skelton signing are true.
For fullback depth I think we should be looking for a guy that can punch out big metres but also play on the wing, preferably in the NRL every week.
If Walsh is out there is no point trying to fill his hole with a close to like for like ball player, that's what we've done with Sailor somewhat and we lose so much and don't gain anything elsewhere.
Cobbo could be the answer but there are times we would lose both during origin and we need Selwyn In the centres.
If we had grand final Arthars every game he'd be a good fit.

I mentioned this in another thread. We desperately miss Herbie in yardage. Without him, we are getting dominated in the tackle, held up and worked over for the first 1-2 tackles. This makes the next 2 hit ups inefficient, as we are playing off the back foot.

This is how Panthers are so dominant. They play transition football. The back 5 work it out of the defensive end and allow the forwards (generally speaking) time to rest. A good kick follows and then aggressive defence from the middles, getting off the line quick.

We replicated that last year to some extent and it gave our key attacking weapons so much space. This year, we have no ability to get us on that front foot early with dominant runs and quick play the balls.

That right there, is the crux of all our problems. If we fix that, we will dominate again. We only need 1-2 in our back 5 who can get us on the front foot.

Skelton will help, if true.
We are missing Cobbo on kick returns too

Appears Daniel Atkinson is off contract for '26 - would he be a smokey to go after? At least he's a QLDer - a step up on Madden in that department :P

We're missing Tommy Dearden in the testicles department.

Yeah Tommy made some good tackles the other night .
Didn`t do shit with the ball . Teams know he will try and dummy and run , easy to plan for .

Appears Daniel Atkinson is off contract for '26 - would he be a smokey to go after? At least he's a QLDer - a step up on Madden in that department :P

Sad to admit it , but I have watched Atkinson play and thought why can`t Jock do that ?
Also the back up #1s at Newcastle are waaay ahead of Tristan .

@upthebroncs - how many players are you hoping to fit under a top-30 cap?

Active Now

• Astro
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Cavalo
  • winslow_wong
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Financeguy
  • ostin86
  • kiwibronco
  • Inknition
  • phoenix
  • pagey
  • broncos4life
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Skyblues87
  • jarro65
  • Midean
  • Scorchie
  • broncsgoat
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.