Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If we're a serious chance of getting Swalker then I'm in favour of doing a storm and running reliable, journeymen outside backs who just do their job and going all in on our spine with a few guns (Patty, Xavier, BTK, and Payne) in the middle.

I love Cobbo to death, but some desperate club is going to offer him insane money coping that he can play FB week to week (he can't). If you can get Swalker on close to the same sort of money then the choice is obvious.

I'm not sure Walker is a good enough player to be able to run journeyman outside backs.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't believe SWalker is gettable for a minute BUT let's say for argument's sake he is, I would be willing to even sacrifice Haas IF it means we get SWalker AND keep Xman plus Big Ben. Of course, given the sides you see rolled out by the likes of Melbourne, Penrith and Easts year in, year out, I really don't see why we can't keep all the key pieces AND get SWalker.

@McHunt said the next few team lists would be interesting...so I don't want to disappoint. How about this for 2026:

1. Walsh
2. Leota
3. Mariner
4. Cobbo
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Walker
8. Willison
9. Mozer
10. Haas (not re-signed unless he wants to take a 500k plus price cut)
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Bukowski
15. Te Kura
16. Semu
17. Armstrong

Of course, we will need some solid first graders / depth around all of that but some big calls obviously in Leota actually coming good (doesn't look possible right now), Staggs, Hetherington and Reynolds gone. Committing to Mariner over Staggs is extremely controversial and probably very wrong but meh. Hetherington, Smoothy and Walters can still be depth and this side is way too youth heavy, even 2 years down the track but hey, I promised it would be interesting.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I've got them as cannon fodder out of QLD.

They should be playing as many games as possible in Redcliffe, that ground is far more intimidating for the opposition than a half empty Suncorp Stadium.
I can see them going ok in the finals. They just keep surprising me on the upside and I enjoy watching them play. At least I can see what they are trying to do with their sets in attack and inside 30 they just keep getting to the far post and run the block plays which always look dangerous especially with the Hammer on the end of it.
If they land in the right spot come finals time there really isn't that much to beat until they get to Penriff/Storm, I think they're as much chance of making a prelim as anyone.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I don't believe SWalker is gettable for a minute BUT let's say for argument's sake he is, I would be willing to even sacrifice Haas IF it means we get SWalker AND keep Xman plus Big Ben. Of course, given the sides you see rolled out by the likes of Melbourne, Penrith and Easts year in, year out, I really don't see why we can't keep all the key pieces AND get SWalker.

@McHunt said the next few team lists would be interesting...so I don't want to disappoint. How about this for 2026:

1. Walsh
2. Leota
3. Mariner
4. Cobbo
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Walker
8. Willison
9. Mozer
10. Haas (not re-signed unless he wants to take a 500k plus price cut)
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Bukowski
15. Te Kura
16. Semu
17. Armstrong

Of course, we will need some solid first graders / depth around all of that but some big calls obviously in Leota actually coming good (doesn't look possible right now), Staggs, Hetherington and Reynolds gone. Committing to Mariner over Staggs is extremely controversial and probably very wrong but meh. Hetherington, Smoothy and Walters can still be depth and this side is way too youth heavy, even 2 years down the track but hey, I promised it would be interesting.
Can Armstrong play in the backs if needed?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Walker would effectively replace Reynolds' salary, right? Even if he gets more money, cap goes up too.

nah not really.

Reynolds reportedly took a pay cut to sign for the 2025 season. so he's probably on 500 - 600k max.

Walker's initial offer from the Rorters was 900k a year

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Was just looking through Reddit and it was pondered that if Matterson were allowed to leave Parra where would be a good fit and broncos were brought up.

I think price tag would be an issue, but he is probably right up there for recruits that bring value to this team.

Covers edge or middle and at worst could be the utility forward off the bench.

Again price would be the issue, but he is also one of those guys potentially looking for a fresh start.

Don't think I would be disappointed if we were getting linked to him.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
This year - in an injury ravaged, underperforming team - he's scored 10 tries, 9 line breaks, 4 try assists, and kicked 18 goals at 90% all in only 10 games. He's a freak of nature and will only get better as a playmaker.

How many of those games did the team win ?
How many bombs did he not catch , how many bad passes , how many times out of position on opposition kicks , how many ineffective tackles , how many minutes not involved in the play because he`s recovering from his last run ?

Those stats are what I`m talkin about .

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Was just looking through Reddit and it was pondered that if Matterson were allowed to leave Parra where would be a good fit and broncos were brought up.

I think price tag would be an issue, but he is probably right up there for recruits that bring value to this team.

Covers edge or middle and at worst could be the utility forward off the bench.

Again price would be the issue, but he is also one of those guys potentially looking for a fresh start.

Don't think I would be disappointed if we were getting linked to him.
He has really fallen away at Parra from a few seasons ago being a fringe NSW player. He strikes me as the kind of player that lacks a bit of ticker...all well and good when things are going well but can go missing when the chips are down and i think we need more players who will claw for the extra meter rather than let someone else take the tough carry.

He has potential to be better than he is currently but too high risk for mine and i doubt he would be cheap enough to take a risk he comes good on.

Taking the 3 or 4 week ban rather than paying the fine is still a huge red flag for me as well. Would need a super strict coach and James Graham type sprays on the field to keep his work rate and focus up, i don't think Kevvie and current team offer that.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Matterson has had a few bad concussions from memory. Would be a decent option for us because we need people who have utility value but his price might be to high plus he may not want to move to Brisbane.,

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Yeah, sad thing is he had a huge chance to make a name for himself and cement his spot in our side or get a huge offer elsewhere with all the injuries/Origin Absentees/underwhelming recruits but he has been very forgettable.

Got folded in Vegas and hasn`t done shit since .

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Got folded in Vegas and hasn`t done shit since .
I think there is a few in the squad still recovering from the disappointment of the Vegas game...we were meant to carry on where we left off 2023 and teams didn't let us...

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Matterson has had a few bad concussions from memory. Would be a decent option for us because we need people who have utility value but his price might be to high plus he may not want to move to Brisbane.,

I reckon he's 1 or 2 head knocks away from an early retirement.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
You aren't getting matterson for cheap. He is the definition of mercenary with regards to contracts. **** he is the reason why the NRL now has the rule that if you leave the club mid contract and jump teams, you cant get a pay rise for the current term of your old contract after what he did to the Tigers when he jumped to the eels.

B

BRC088

QCup Player
Feb 7, 2012
Yet Penrith can afford Cleary, Leota, Yeo, Tago, To'o, Edwards, Martin and still have money for a big name player to replace JFH?

Didn't the NRL sign off on de-valuing Cleary's value last year....?

M

mstreet

QCup Player
Sep 3, 2020
Yet Penrith can afford Cleary, Leota, Yeo, Tago, To'o, Edwards, Martin and still have money for a big name player to replace JFH? The Chickens can have a team full of superstars and still pick and choose everyone else's guns?

I see your point, but we can only look after our side of the street. We can speculate till the end of time about other clubs salary cap position. I'm not sure what the real figures are around Penrith. I believe Cleary is the only million dollar player? Edwards on 850k?

It would be great if the NRL was required to publish player salaries in the interest of transparency.

With respect to Penrith or the storm, those guys keep losing players due to the salary cap. Both those clubs are destination clubs. The Roosters are losing a number of big name players; they have a war chest now. Roosters to hand Cobbo a blank cheque.

1.1 mill over 5 years is a good buy for Walsh. Not sure if paying 1.3-1.4 mill is.

Would have been nice to have gotten Hass on a more reasonable 950k. Carrigan is on 850k?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Looking at the off contract list for 2025, I would be targeting these blokes for squad purposes in order of preference:

Fullback: Perham
Wing: Oates, Skelton, Vaega, Valemei, Tuala, Cini
Centre: Alamoti, Iro (doubt will be in price range), Smith, Tass, Simonsson, Seve
Halves: Sexton, Clifford, Weaver
Middles: Eisenhuth (either or both), Taupau, S.Mitchell, Stimson, Tevaga
Second-Row: Haas, Jones
Hooker: Not needed

Interesting when you look at the fullback options from other clubs, I think we need to look at Q Cup. There are certainly some decent options on the wing, middles and halves.

Given we've extended Rogers, I doubt we are looking for halves though but really, it would be nice for us to move to secure Haas if we can asap and hopefully the rumours about Skelton signing are true.

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Old Mate
  • BroncsNBundy
  • sooticus
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.