Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I find it ironic that Bronx were pretty much the first side to use two big strong wingers (Wendel & Lote) to great effect, yet we now roll out midgets who can't win a play the ball or make metres.
Yeah, our back 3 are way too small. You can carry one or 2 but not all 3.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I find it ironic that Bronx were pretty much the first side to use two big strong wingers (Wendel & Lote) to great effect, yet we now roll out midgets who can't win a play the ball or make metres.

I don't see why we aren't going to Fiji or any of the other Pacific island nations to recruit wingers.

Wing is easy. I'm sure there's one or two players over there, especially in the Union system, that would come over to play for us.

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013

I mentioned this in another thread. We desperately miss Herbie in yardage. Without him, we are getting dominated in the tackle, held up and worked over for the first 1-2 tackles. This makes the next 2 hit ups inefficient, as we are playing off the back foot.

This is how Panthers are so dominant. They play transition football. The back 5 work it out of the defensive end and allow the forwards (generally speaking) time to rest. A good kick follows and then aggressive defence from the middles, getting off the line quick.

We replicated that last year to some extent and it gave our key attacking weapons so much space. This year, we have no ability to get us on that front foot early with dominant runs and quick play the balls.

That right there, is the crux of all our problems. If we fix that, we will dominate again. We only need 1-2 in our back 5 who can get us on the front foot.

Skelton will help, if true.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, our back 3 are way too small. You can carry one or 2 but not all 3.
We certainly need more metres from wingers as Walsh won't be a 200 metres a game fullback very often. His strengths are in other areas.

thenry

thenry

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
I mentioned this in another thread. We desperately miss Herbie in yardage. Without him, we are getting dominated in the tackle, held up and worked over for the first 1-2 tackles. This makes the next 2 hit ups inefficient, as we are playing off the back foot.

This is how Panthers are so dominant. They play transition football. The back 5 work it out of the defensive end and allow the forwards (generally speaking) time to rest. A good kick follows and then aggressive defence from the middles, getting off the line quick.

We replicated that last year to some extent and it gave our key attacking weapons so much space. This year, we have no ability to get us on that front foot early with dominant runs and quick play the balls.

That right there, is the crux of all our problems. If we fix that, we will dominate again. We only need 1-2 in our back 5 who can get us on the front foot.

Agreed. Watching Origin 2, every time Edwards made a kick return he poked his nose through, and got a quick PTB. This was followed by To'o doing his thing.

QLD just started defensive sets going backwards.

I think the 22 GF illustrated it best for me. The game started as set for set, but every set Penrith started a few metres closer to halfway. This was on the back of their back 5 just winning the yardage and ruck battle.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Katoa is the most highly rated young half since Cleary, he wouldn't be on a pittance.

He might be highly rated now a season and a half into his career .
He was a nobody outside Penrith , before Wayne signed him on . SOS was the 1st choice half when they assembled the squad .
Katoa would be lining up a nice fat contract for his future no doubt .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
We certainly need more metres from wingers as Walsh won't be a 200 metres a game fullback very often. His strengths are in other areas.

The Dragons used that old chest nut on the week end .
Kick it high to Oates . Nullifies his kick returns . Arthars was making more metres and PCM than Oates .
I say sell off Walsh and buy Blaze Taulangi . Then also buy a Marty replacement and 2 back rowers .

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Kick it high to Oates . Nullifies his kick returns . Arthars was making more metres and PCM than Oates .
I say sell off Walsh and buy Blaze Taulangi . Then also buy a Marty replacement and 2 back rowers .

You wouldn't sell Walsh. If you were concerned about his fullback play you would put him at halfback

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
You wouldn't sell Walsh. If you were concerned about his fullback play you would put him at halfback

More concerned about how much he costs vs what he brings when his team dont have the ball .
Poor positional play , weak defence , not reliable catching bombs .

His highlights reel will always be spectacular . Off the ball he`s far from the best full back in the game .

Moving him to half will mean he will spends a lot of time behind the play with trainers holding his hand while he recovers from being tackled . LOL .
Very over rated at this stage IMO .

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
More concerned about how much he costs vs what he brings when his team dont have the ball .
Poor positional play , weak defence , not reliable catching bombs .

His highlights reel will always be spectacular . Off the ball he`s far from the best full back in the game .

Moving him to half will mean he will spends a lot of time behind the play with trainers holding his hand while he recovers from being tackled . LOL .
Very over rated at this stage IMO .
Boy when you're wrong you certainly no how to go about it don't you. An absolute stinker of an opinion TBH.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Corey Oates is taller than Wendell and Lote. Selwyn is a cm shorter.

Jesse is a cm taller than Val Holmes. Mariner is the same height as Holmes.

To'o and Addo Carr are shorter than any of our wingers.

thenry

thenry

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Corey Oates is taller than Wendell and Lote. Selwyn is a cm shorter.

Jesse is a cm taller than Val Holmes. Mariner is the same height as Holmes.

To'o and Addo Carr are shorter than any of our wingers.

Come on man. Corey is a backup at this stage. Selwyn is our Centre. To'o is a freak. Addo-Carr in no way gets his team's sets started well. He gets bent backwards.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Do you have any info on Skelton?

He would be exactly what we need.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
That would have to be the best piss take I have ever heard. Walsh is the our best player by a long way and you want to sell him?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Come on man. Corey is a backup at this stage. Selwyn is our Centre. To'o is a freak. Addo-Carr in no way gets his team's sets started well. He gets bent backwards.
Pick other wingers then. I chose those three because they're all recent Kangaroo reps.

I'm just saying our wingers aren't "midgets" compared to their peers. Mariner and Arthars are also centres, btw.

thenry

thenry

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Cool. You've proved that they're not midgets. They still get monstered regularly so I'm more than happy for you to call them giants or average size or whatever.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Panthers all stay in their lane too, To'o sticks to making 181m and scoring a try untouched in the corner. I can't remember him ever thinking he can kick.

Always bounce back to the middle and go from there. The Panthers simplicity is their strength.

Herbie could have been a product of that system, stayed in his lane and made metres scored some tries.

Brisbane's game is very complex and moving parts so when it goes wrong it's very hard to get back. There is no simplicity to fall back on. If Penrith go badly, they go back to backs making ground, get to middle and Cleary kicks.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Dexter
  • sooticus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Culhwch
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.