Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
OK Tell me what I got wrong ?
And your alternative ?

Desperate times require desperate measures .
We've got what looks like a generational talent who has debuted for the Maroons at 21 and you want to discard him? No doubt he needs to improve several aspects of his game but no club wants to be moving on talent like Reece Walsh.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
They probably have a bit to play with. Bromwich, Aitken, Wallace, Milford will all be off the books. Wouldnt give them heaps though i wouldnt think.
I doubt many players will want to be paid in big macs like Milford

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
What has happened to Kobe? He's gone from fantastic value for money and fringe origin player to providing no value at all. This definitely seems a spot up for grabs next season sadly.
Yeah, sad thing is he had a huge chance to make a name for himself and cement his spot in our side or get a huge offer elsewhere with all the injuries/Origin Absentees/underwhelming recruits but he has been very forgettable.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah, sad thing is he had a huge chance to make a name for himself and cement his spot in our side or get a huge offer elsewhere with all the injuries/Origin Absentees/underwhelming recruits but he has been very forgettable.

Arguably even worse than forgettable, he's been a liability.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
What has happened to Kobe? He's gone from fantastic value for money and fringe origin player to providing no value at all. This definitely seems a spot up for grabs next season sadly.

You can say that about a lot of the team at the moment. I think the overall drop in confidence is hurting some of these players - Riki too, notably. I thought Hethrington went alright against the Dragons, he was running good lines off Billy early and making some metres around the ruck. I'd back him to come good when we're closer to full strength. Having seen what he is capable of, and assuming he's on a modest contract, I definitely wouldn't be moving him on.

The sting has gone out of his defense a bit, though, which is unfortunate.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You can say that about a lot of the team at the moment. I think the overall drop in confidence is hurting some of these players - Riki too, notably. I thought Hethrington went alright against the Dragons, he was running good lines off Billy early and making some metres around the ruck. I'd back him to come good when we're closer to full strength. Having seen what he is capable of, and assuming he's on a modest contract, I definitely wouldn't be moving him on.

The sting has gone out of his defense a bit, though, which is unfortunate.

It is definitely a sign of where things are at this year. Last year it was hard to think of anyone who had regressed, except maybe Paix.

This year, it is hard to think of anyone who has progressed, really only Willison.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Cool. You've proved that they're not midgets. They still get monstered regularly so I'm more than happy for you to call them giants or average size or whatever.
Mariner hasn't done a bad job of finding the tryline either.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He gives away just as many as he scores. He is another Coates liability in defence
Deine's in the running to end the season as the comp's top tryscorer, so I would certainly persist with coaching him on other aspects of his game. He's up there in the Rookie of the Year stakes.

It is definitely a sign of where things are at this year. Last year it was hard to think of anyone who had regressed, except maybe Paix.

This year, it is hard to think of anyone who has progressed, really only Willison.
As above, I think Mariner is improving, but from experience more than coaching. There are certainly some elements of his game to improve.

Same goes for Reece. Some aspects of his game have improved, but his error rate has blown out, arguably costing us games.

Struggling to think of anyone else.

Kobe, I think, hit a ceiling. There's only so long you can sustain using your body as a battering ram in lieu of footy smarts. I think you're right in that he's in the cycle out phase. Smoothy probably gives more value off the bench in a similar role, but he's no hitman. We need a new axe.

The player who disappoints me most is Payne. He deserves all the accolades, but it still feels like we're waiting for him to arrive.

M

mstreet

QCup Player
Sep 3, 2020
We've got what looks like a generational talent who has debuted for the Maroons at 21 and you want to discard him? No doubt he needs to improve several aspects of his game but no club wants to be moving on talent like Reece Walsh.
No club would want to do that.

It is his price tag, and consequences to the rest of the team that would give any administration reason to pause. We are already complaining about the amount of spuds in the team. Payne is on overs by a long way. And it'll be a bidding war for Cobbo.

Imagine the dollars locked up in: Hass, Mam, Cobbo, and Walsh. There's 26 more players to pay. Not one of those players is a game manager.

Walsh also has the potential to kill this team. Imagine building a team around Walsh, only for him to run around like a headless chook. We've seen a lot of that Walsh when Reynolds isn't baby sitting him.

Spread the money and responsibility around. Super star team trumps a team of super stars. It is amazing what Bennett has done with the dolphins. Everyone has bagging them for not nailing a marquee player.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

It is his price tag, and consequences to the rest of the team that would give any administration reason to pause. We are already complaining about the amount of spuds in the team. Payne is on overs by a long way. And it'll be a bidding war for Cobbo.

Imagine the dollars locked up in: Hass, Mam, Cobbo, and Walsh. There's 26 more players to pay. Not one of those players is a game manager.

Walsh also has the potential to kill this team. Imagine building a team around Walsh, only for him to run around like a headless chook. We've seen a lot of that Walsh when Reynolds isn't baby sitting him.

Spread the money and responsibility around. Super star team trumps a team of super stars. It is amazing what Bennett has done with the dolphins. Everyone has bagging them for not nailing a marquee player.

Yet Penrith can afford Cleary, Leota, Yeo, Tago, To'o, Edwards, Martin and still have money for a big name player to replace JFH? The Chickens can have a team full of superstars and still pick and choose everyone else's guns?

You need big name players and we are the biggest club in the land. We just need to manage things better around those superstars.

There is absolutely no reason we cannot afford Walsh, Haas, Carrigan, Cobbo, Mam, etc.

Unlike the Roosters too, all of these guys are in-house developed with the sort of exception of Walsh but that's a technicality.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008

Are the Dolphins a genuine threat this year, though? Bennett has them up and around the eight, but can they make the step up to become an actual contender with their current roster without that type of player? Every team Bennett has taken to a grand final was fairly stacked with superstars.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Arguably even worse than forgettable, he's been a liability.
He's gone away from cutting blokes in half... it's catch and wrap at the moment, but we constantly lose the first contact and they just steamroll through.

I dont know why we've bothered to go to catch and wrap, because we are absolutely garbage at wrestling so what's the point of someone trying to control the top.

They either dont get help around the legs... or even if they do get someone around the legs then the guy up top is not able to wrestle them onto their back.

We just concede massive meters and quick ptbs... the defence techniques and tactics are garbage at the moment

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
More concerned about how much he costs vs what he brings when his team dont have the ball .
Poor positional play , weak defence , not reliable catching bombs .

His highlights reel will always be spectacular . Off the ball he`s far from the best full back in the game .

Moving him to half will mean he will spends a lot of time behind the play with trainers holding his hand while he recovers from being tackled . LOL .
Very over rated at this stage IMO .
This year - in an injury ravaged, underperforming team - he's scored 10 tries, 9 line breaks, 4 try assists, and kicked 18 goals at 90% all in only 10 games. He's a freak of nature and will only get better as a playmaker.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013

If we're a serious chance of getting Swalker then I'm in favour of doing a storm and running reliable, journeymen outside backs who just do their job and going all in on our spine with a few guns (Patty, Xavier, BTK, and Payne) in the middle.

I love Cobbo to death, but some desperate club is going to offer him insane money coping that he can play FB week to week (he can't). If you can get Swalker on close to the same sort of money then the choice is obvious.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Are the Dolphins a genuine threat this year, though? Bennett has them up and around the eight, but can they make the step up to become an actual contender with their current roster without that type of player? Every team Bennett has taken to a grand final was fairly stacked with superstars.
Nah they're absolute cannon fodder if they come up against Panthers, rorters or storm. I'd say dogs would handle them if played in Sydney as well.

Sharks they can probably take, because they are gifted their top 8 spot each year

Who knows who makes up the bottom 8... if we get there we can handle them.

Dragons if they turn up can handle them.

Knights... nope
Manly ... probably not... they'd be reliant on Turbo winning it for them

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Nah they're absolute cannon fodder if they come up against Panthers, rorters or storm. I'd say dogs would handle them if played in Sydney as well.

Sharks they can probably take, because they are gofted their top 8 spot each year

Who knows who makes up the bottom 8... if we get there we can handle them.

Dragons if they turn up can handle them.

Knights... nope
Manly ... probably not... they'd be reliant on Turbo winning it for them

I've got them as cannon fodder out of QLD.

They should be playing as many games as possible in Redcliffe, that ground is far more intimidating for the opposition than a half empty Suncorp Stadium.

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • TimWhatley
  • Lurker
  • ettybay
  • hench2020
  • davidp
  • kman
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Jason Simmons
  • Dexter
  • BooKhaki
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.