Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

B

blacknwhite

Jul 12, 2022
Hey, some rumours in the UK that we, Hull FC, have identified Cartwright to be our next head coach.

Has anyone heard anything?

What does he do at the Broncos?

Cheers!
Not to make this thread all about Hull..... but Bulldog Richie is reporting we've made a formal approach for Cartwright.

I'd heard we'd interviewed him about 2 weeks ago so must've come across well

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
On the contracts of Staggs and Cobbo.

Staggs last resigned in 2021, a few months into having Kevvie as coach. From memory he injured his ACL late 2020 and resigned while still recovering from the ACL, hadn't played a game under Kev when he resigned.
Since then the club's stuck by him through injury, we're winning, he's played rep footy, he's become a leader in the team, played in a GF and knows this team can do it. - he's not going anyway and I don't think he'll be asking for a Upgrade.

Selwyn he's in his preferred position, close to family and can see them and head home whenever he's got a day off, Kevs been good to him and helped him mature as a person it seems. He's got a partner now who probably has family close by aswell. Money doesn't seem to be a factor he just loves playing footy, would probably play for free if he had to for the club he had dreams of playing for. He's not going anywhere and will take unders to stay.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
On the contracts of Staggs and Cobbo.

Staggs last resigned in 2021, a few months into having Kevvie as coach. From memory he injured his ACL late 2020 and resigned while still recovering from the ACL, hadn't played a game under Kev when he resigned.
Since then the club's stuck by him through injury, we're winning, he's played rep footy, he's become a leader in the team, played in a GF and knows this team can do it. - he's not going anyway and I don't think he'll be asking for a Upgrade.

Selwyn he's in his preferred position, close to family and can see them and head home whenever he's got a day off, Kevs been good to him and helped him mature as a person it seems. He's got a partner now who probably has family close by aswell. Money doesn't seem to be a factor he just loves playing footy, would probably play for free if he had to for the club he had dreams of playing for. He's not going anywhere and will take unders to stay.
Not 100% sure but i thought Stagg's injury was an Achilles tendon.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
if we lose Cartwright, I wouldn't mind us making an offer to Josh Hannay to take on an assistant role here.
Good shout I reckon. But having said that you never know how much impact the assistant coaches have had on the team performances until they are gone, and even then it could be clouded.

He could go, we could get better, worse or stay the same and no one will truly know whether he was the difference. I hope we go for experience and someone who gets along with the others though as it seems to be a good environment and united front. Or maybe ballins role increases. I think hunt will be a good replacement for briers or ballin though (although I'd prefer they don't leave), it'd just mean our coaching experience surrounding Walters will drop dramatically if we don't get an experienced person.

On coaches. Boyd seems to be doing a great role. He takes the outside backs from memory, there isn't one that hasn't improved (bar Oates, but even he has been solid last couple games). Between Boyd, briers, ballin, and maybe hunt, seems we have some of the best up and coming coaches coming through as well. Says a lot about the organisation I believe...

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Good shout I reckon. But having said that you never know how much impact the assistant coaches have had on the team performances until they are gone, and even then it could be clouded.

He could go, we could get better, worse or stay the same and no one will truly know whether he was the difference. I hope we go for experience and someone who gets along with the others though as it seems to be a good environment and united front. Or maybe ballins role increases. I think hunt will be a good replacement for briers or ballin though (although I'd prefer they don't leave), it'd just mean our coaching experience surrounding Walters will drop dramatically if we don't get an experienced person.

On coaches. Boyd seems to be doing a great role. He takes the outside backs from memory, there isn't one that hasn't improved (bar Oates, but even he has been solid last couple games). Between Boyd, briers, ballin, and maybe hunt, seems we have some of the best up and coming coaches coming through as well. Says a lot about the organisation I believe...

Hannay has been coaching for 10 years now, head coach in Cup at Souths, assistant at Cowboys and Sharks and head coach at Sharks, Queensland U18 for two years in 16 and 17 and now Queensland assistant the last two years. He flies under the radar but has plenty of experience now.

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
Hannay has been coaching for 10 years now, head coach in Cup at Souths, assistant at Cowboys and Sharks and head coach at Sharks, Queensland U18 for two years in 16 and 17 and now Queensland assistant the last two years. He flies under the radar but has plenty of experience now.
Didn’t realise he was so accomplished… really does fly under the radar

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
He's signed up until end of 26 at the Sharks.
Yes, I was aware that he was at the Sharks. As we all know NRL contracts are somewhat `fluid'. I would suspect that he would not move for another assistant position, but there is no harm in making the enquiry.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
tell your mate to report it to the NRL ... they can't even offer cobbo a cup of coffee until November
This is the thing, the agent said he’s waiting for the offer which will obviously come the day of November or whenever it is. But they’ve clearly been talking numbers which is bullshit too.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
This is the thing, the agent said he’s waiting for the offer which will obviously come the day of November or whenever it is. But they’ve clearly been talking numbers which is bullshit too.
We do exactly the same thing tbf. I doubt there is a club in the NRL that doesn't.

FACTHUNT

FACTHUNT

QCup Player
May 25, 2021
The Roosters have lost their appeal.

- Keeping quiet on their player calling an indigenous player a monkey until the footage was released and they had no other option - they were absolutely going to have Leniu plead not guilty. Their stance is clear - they'll sweep racism under the rug unless it's caught on video or audio.
- Didn't talk to Crichton or Tupounua until Fifita signed. Then told Tupounua to look for other clubs (clearly due to his concussion history the last few years) and then Fifita backflipped. Tupounua will ruthlessly be spat out.
- I don't believe that Keary came to this decision himself regardless of his recent concussion. There was obviously a deal done to cover his $1.1m salary next year by sweeping the entryway.
- Couldn't convince SJ.
- Couldn't convince Dane Gagai (!!!!).

I am confident (but wary) that we won't need to pay overs.

A few years ago I said that Coates wouldn't cope with Melbourne, and he surprised me. But if Cobbo is homesick when living in Brisbane, Sydney will eat him alive. The eastern suburbs are obviously quite nice aesthetically, but the attitudes around the place are horrific. The people of the eastern suburbs don't have ACTUAL friends. They will be nice to you if you're walking around in silk, linen, or cashmere, though.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I have a mate who has a son who just signed a deal with broncos, he was just having breakfast with Cobbos manager and he said roosters trying to throw the kitchen sink at Cobbo to play fullback….

Hey, fabricate your own made-up sauce, I just made this one up last week and I haven't come close to wringing fake news out of it.

On the Roosters though, even the journos don't hide it. One on Triple M was saying on Saturday that Uncle Nick wined and dined him at the Roosters' hotel that morning. Not the one the players stay at, the one the club officials were staying at.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Hey, fabricate your own made-up sauce, I just made this one up last week and I haven't come close to wringing fake news out of it.

On the Roosters though, even the journos don't hide it. One on Triple M was saying on Saturday that Uncle Nick wined and dined him at the Roosters' hotel that morning. Not the one the players stay at, the one the club officials were staying at.
Wined and dined the manager I'm assuming??

I think he's the same manager for Walsh yeah??

Easier to pay the manager with brown paper bags off the books and then get them to influence their clients that rorters and Bondi is the place to be.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.