Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

Last thing we needed was another utility who could play hooker:

Dunno about that .
I seem to recall the Warriors boss saying he would only agree to the Broncos for a transfer . Because of the way he was released initially and because of good relations between the clubs . Broncos "lent " them Jesse Arthars remember .
My memory's a bit hazy over this but weren't the Warriors a bit shitty at Dolphins Poacher in Chief, Peter O'Sullivan, at the time?

Who gives a shit if he's labelled generational talent or not? This is just some empty buzzword bullshit that means absolutely nothing.

He is however our best and generally only attacking threat (most of the time) and has ridiculous room for growth. Defensively he needs work and his decision making is too erratic at times but these are all things that will improve with age and good coaching.

Blame the club for not providing him the coaching and for throwing 1mill at him.

Lockyer wasn't the finished article at 22 either. Guess what he had that Walsh doesn't? Good coaching and a team that had structure, so he could inject himself where necessary instead of feeling like he had to win the game on his own because no one else was shouldering the load.

100% This. Walsh couldn't tie Lockys shoelaces.
Locky was a generational talent from the get.
You could tell from his first game.
The way he made defences miss, his positional play, maturity, team first attitude. He had it all and he didn't **** up like Walsh does.
Walsh could become very good but will never reach Lockyers level.

I feel Walshy could get there tbh. For me he needs to do the basic fullback stuff much better. As an attacking force, with his acceleration and brilliance with the football he could be anything, I haven't seen a player like him for a long time. It's the other side of his game I have issues with.

I'd also like to point out comparisons with lockyer are almost impossible. Lockyer came Into the side when the Broncos were the best they had ever been. Langer, Walters, tallis, webcke, Carroll, renouf, thorn, petro the list goes on. The squad was basically the incumbent QLD squad.

Locky is probably my favorite player of all time, but in reality i would never know if he was going to be as good coming into a side who were wooden spooners rather than premiers prior to his debut.
Lockyer could do the basics way better than Walsh. Walsh is a highlight reel player right now and people get carried away with it. 4 years as an NRL player and he still can't defend at fullback like he should. He doesn't organise like a fullback should. You can't be a generational talent ( a term I actually can't stand ) if you only have one side to your game.

Lockyer could do the basics way better than Walsh. Walsh is a highlight reel player right now and people get carried away with it. 4 years as an NRL player and he still can't defend at fullback like he should. He doesn't organise like a fullback should. You can't be a generational talent ( a term I actually can't stand ) if you only have one side to your game.

I don't mind the term, I just think it gets thrown around left right and centre.

Who gives a shit if he's labelled generational talent or not? This is just some empty buzzword bullshit that means absolutely nothing.

He is however our best and generally only attacking threat (most of the time) and has ridiculous room for growth. Defensively he needs work and his decision making is too erratic at times but these are all things that will improve with age and good coaching.

Blame the club for not providing him the coaching and for throwing 1mill at him.

Lockyer wasn't the finished article at 22 either. Guess what he had that Walsh doesn't? Good coaching and a team that had structure, so he could inject himself where necessary instead of feeling like he had to win the game on his own because no one else was shouldering the load.
I think you are definitely right that he would be a better playing under better coaching.

I'd also like to point out comparisons with lockyer are almost impossible. Lockyer came Into the side when the Broncos were the best they had ever been. Langer, Walters, tallis, webcke, Carroll, renouf, thorn, petro the list goes on. The squad was basically the incumbent QLD squad.

Locky is probably my favorite player of all time, but in reality i would never know if he was going to be as good coming into a side who were wooden spooners rather than premiers prior to his debut.
It's a good point you make although it's another reason he stood out so much because he came into that side and improved the team.
I travelled over to ANZ stadium every home game just to watch him, good times

Like the term or not it's not an empty buzzword but it should be reserved for very few players not bandied about to describe anyone with a flashy highlights reel.

Cleary is a generational talent, Munster, maybe? but that's about it ATM.

Like the term or not it's not an empty buzzword but it should be reserved for very few players not bandied about to describe anyone with a flashy highlights reel.

Cleary is a generational talent, Munster, maybe? but that's about it ATM.
I think Payne is the only other generational talent in the comp alongside Cleary. Imagine if he had played in a good side since 2018🤯

The way he made defences miss, his positional play, maturity, team first attitude. He had it all and he didn't **** up like Walsh does.
While I don't disagree that Locky is a million times better than Walsh at the same age. I wouldn't have minded watching Walsh come into grade playing in a team with Shane Webcke, Darren Smith, Brad Thorn, Alan Langer, Kev Walters, Alan Cann, Steve Renouf, Gorden Tallis, Tonie Carroll, Wendell Sailor.....imagine how good he would look

While I don't disagree that Locky is a million times better than Walsh at the same age. I wouldn't have minded watching Walsh come into grade playing in a team with Shane Webcke, Darren Smith, Brad Thorn, Alan Langer, Kev Walters, Alan Cann, Steve Renouf, Gorden Tallis, Tonie Carroll, Wendell Sailor.....imagine how good he would look
You make a great point. Despite his short comings Walshy wizardry still manages to shine among a bunch of spuds.

Drinkwater is absolutely hopeless in defence at FB, often times resembling a headless chook, where would the cows be without him? KP, Papi, and Trell are also terrible in defence but highly influential to their sides' success when they achieve it. Most good sides drill a defensive structure into the players so a FB's role in organizing the defence, although important, gets a bit overblown: see riff last weekend with a third string rookie FB looking as solid as ever.

Walsh, with 14 tries and 6 assists in 13 games, is absolutely the wrong target to critisize. People moaning about what Dearden is doing at the cows, imagine Walsh at a club like the chooks (who I imagine would be happy to fork out 1.2 for him with Teddy getting on).

Lockyer in the 90s was the best fullback, and arguably the best player, of all time with no weaknesses to his game so it's a bit tough on Walsh to compare the two.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Midean
  • marw
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • theshed
  • mrtij
  • Gaz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Waynesaurus
  • scobie
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.