Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

Lockyer in the 90s was the best fullback, and arguably the best player, of all time with no weaknesses to his game so it's a bit tough on Walsh to compare the two.

That's not actually true.

when Lockyer first became fullback, he was thought to be a terrible defender ... obviously the attacking and game playing parts of his game made up for this weakness.

Hell, it was years before he was ever thought to be a somewhat competent defender at the back. at no point in his career was he ever considered a good defender.

Lockyer in the 90s was the best fullback, and arguably the best player, of all time with no weaknesses to his game so it's a bit tough on Walsh to compare the two.

But people cant go around calling Walsh a generational talent if he cant be compared to our best fullback ever. This is another one i'll get grief for, but for me at the moment he's 2012 Ben Barba. He needs to add more steel to the defensive side of his game to really put himself up there as a so called generational player.

I think pretty much everybody recognises and give's him plenty of praise for what he does in attack. That part of his game is top tier, no question at all about that. As i keep saying, its the other side of his game thats the issue. He doesnt organise, he is a poor defender who is constantly out of position. How on earth can we consider basically giving him a long term, multi million dollar deal to make him our highest paid player ever when after 4 years as an NRL player and over 70 games he still gets some basic fullback play very wrong. He's not some raw rookie anymore.

What i would say as well, he's just one of a number of players under scrutiny. I think he's getting a lot more attention because of who he is and what he is capable of. Sadly, he's just one of quite a lot of players we have who simply dont work on the defensive side of their game enough. You will never win a premiership if you cant defend no matter how good your attack might be.

But people cant go around calling Walsh a generational talent if he cant be compared to our best fullback ever. This is another one i'll get grief for, but for me at the moment he's 2012 Ben Barba. He needs to add more steel to the defensive side of his game to really put himself up there as a so called generational player.

I think pretty much everybody recognises and give's him plenty of praise for what he does in attack. That part of his game is top tier, no question at all about that. As i keep saying, its the other side of his game thats the issue. He doesnt organise, he is a poor defender who is constantly out of position. How on earth can we consider basically giving him a long term, multi million dollar deal to make him our highest paid player ever when after 4 years as an NRL player and over 70 games he still gets some basic fullback play very wrong. He's not some raw rookie anymore.

What i would say as well, he's just one of a number of players under scrutiny. I think he's getting a lot more attention because of who he is and what he is capable of. Sadly, he's just one of quite a lot of players we have who simply dont work on the defensive side of their game enough. You will never win a premiership if you cant defend no matter how good your attack might be.
Can we discuss Carrigan's deficiencies?

🎣

While I don't disagree that Locky is a million times better than Walsh at the same age. I wouldn't have minded watching Walsh come into grade playing in a team with Shane Webcke, Darren Smith, Brad Thorn, Alan Langer, Kev Walters, Alan Cann, Steve Renouf, Gorden Tallis, Tonie Carroll, Wendell Sailor.....imagine how good he would look
And he would have been pulled well and truly into line. Agree, he would look good.

Not sure why it's tough on Walsh. It's an easy comparison and I'm just responding to another poster who called him a generational talent.

While I don't disagree that Locky is a million times better than Walsh at the same age. I wouldn't have minded watching Walsh come into grade playing in a team with Shane Webcke, Darren Smith, Brad Thorn, Alan Langer, Kev Walters, Alan Cann, Steve Renouf, Gorden Tallis, Tonie Carroll, Wendell Sailor.....imagine how good he would look
This is the truth. Locky was amazing but gee he came into full of leaders and legends.

This is the truth. Locky was amazing but gee he came into full of leaders and legends.
Point taken but it's not quite accurate, Carroll wasn't there, Webke was 20 and played 1 game, Thorn was 20 and played 9 games, Tallis wasn't there

Point taken but it's not quite accurate, Carroll wasn't there, Webke was 20 and played 1 game, Thorn was 20 and played 9 games, Tallis wasn't there
Leaders are usually showing those traits from day one

Feel free 😁
Ok ... he is not the best looking person in the team....joking..well maybe..
Only links well with his bff Haas.
Doesn't give the players a spray when needed.

Hang on ... I'm struggling here...

He needs improvement.... in tackle efficiency...
It's only 94.3.....
He need 5.7 improvement .

doesn't have a good or catchy nickname.

I think that's all I got.
Hahah

You turn.

I hear you brother!

I hear you brother!

I think some people take the critique of Walsh as a big dig at him when its probably not. I love watching him, he's the most entertaining player in the game imo. I just want to him improve where he needs to because that gives us a truly outstanding footballer in every aspect of the game.

I think some people take the critique of Walsh as a big dig at him when its probably not. I love watching him, he's the most entertaining player in the game imo. I just want to him improve where he needs to because that gives us a truly outstanding footballer in every aspect of the game.
Nah I'm with you. He's got so much potential to surpass Slater if only he was a wee bit quicker on the uptake. In fact if his learning capacity was as fast as his footy skills he'd be a bit of genius. I'm sure he'll eventually get many of those flaws ironed out. Hopefully he achieves it sooner than later so we get to see a fair few years of him carve it up for us.

I think walsh is on par with mam in terms of their progress and performances. They should be getting paid a similar amount at this stage of their careers, maybe walsh slightly more.

Lockyer could do the basics way better than Walsh. Walsh is a highlight reel player right now and people get carried away with it. 4 years as an NRL player and he still can't defend at fullback like he should. He doesn't organise like a fullback should. You can't be a generational talent ( a term I actually can't stand ) if you only have one side to your game.
I feel like a lot of current day NRL players are content to sit in this category .. If Walsh hit the scene in 1995, he’s in a very different environment to now, he’d have a different attitude and would undoubtedly be a different player - probably a much more level & consistent person and player ..

I also think the antidote for every modern day player who’s a lair and shortchanging themselves (like Walsh probably is to an extent), is heading to Melbourne and playing under Bellamy at the Storm.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • barker
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Spooky1013
  • Fitzy
  • spanky
  • thenry
  • ettybay
  • broncos4life
  • teampjta
  • Robboi_321
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.