OFFICIAL Broncos sign John Asiata to one year deal

Been a problem for us since the Josh McGuire days and surprised it has taken Kevin Walters to come in to identify and rectify this.

We have become so predictable with our attack it’s little wonder points were hard to come by. I also hope he gives Lodge a licence to play before the line too. I think many people who know better than I do said that he has that in his game when he was in Q Cup. I do vaguely recall him using a sleight of hand to put someone into space in an NRL game against someone.

Yep, Lodge has it in him. Asiata will no doubt provide a point of difference to help the halves immensely. TPJ to dig into the line, and attract a couple with Isaako trailing on the inside. Haas must work on that too, the offload would take his game to the next level.
Carrigan and the others should tuck it under the arm like their lives depended on it and just work on the post contact metres.

Yep, Lodge has it in him. Asiata will no doubt provide a point of difference to help the halves immensely. TPJ to dig into the line, and attract a couple with Isaako trailing on the inside. Haas must work on that too, the offload would take his game to the next level.
Carrigan and the others should tuck it under the arm like their lives depended on it and just work on the post contact metres.
The question is will Isaako be there waiting for the offload or will he be standing out the back playing fullback by appointment only and waiting to be part of the sweep play. It doesn’t matter how many ball playing middles we have if the halves and fullback don’t support them.

The question is will Isaako be there waiting for the offload or will he be standing out the back playing fullback by appointment only and waiting to be part of the sweep play. It doesn’t matter how many ball playing middles we have if the halves and fullback don’t support them.
With the right mind set yes I think he could be a solid option for us there and support through the middle a lot. I thought he played well there to start the season last year before covid happened. Niu is decent at backing up players through the middle.. I think he would have grown up watching Slater do it.

Asiata will add another dimension to our attack that is for sure. Could we put Pangai and Haas at prop with Asiata at lock?

8. Haas
10. Pangai
11. Oates
12. Riki
13. Asiata
17. Flegler

Last edited:
Yes, he will be. Can recall he backed up an offload, then passed off the deck backwards while falling for Milford to score. He had some deft touches (off the signature Boyd-sweep-play) on the right edge for Staggs to score a double, cant remember that team they played against though.

With Asiata in I got a feeling it will be a 13 Rotation with TPJ judging by what Kevvie has been saying, and with a Haas/Carrigan Starting prop combination, Lodge might be under used in this situation as he is a workhorse type like Carrigan unlike Flegler who would be more of an impact bench player.

Possible that Asiata goes on the edge as well, Our middles are looking very good.

I’m wondering if plans are to play him on an edge? Seems TPJ is set for that 13 role and we’ve got a stacked middle rotation of Haas, Carrigan, Lodge, Flegler. Could see him being used as a John Sutton style second rower.
The last time Sutton played second row was 2007.

Are you confusing him for someone else? Sutton was a lock who shifted to 5/8 in 2008.

The last time Sutton played second row was 2007.

Are you confusing him for someone else? Sutton was a lock who shifted to 5/8 in 2008.
I don't think he is, Sutton primarily played on the left edge especially after he shifted back post-Keary and C. Walker.

It isn't a Glenn Stewart situation where he was a 'lock' but actually played on the right edge alongside Chez and Lyon.

To answer his question, maybe in a pinch but I believe they'll have him play the lock role where he has a license to play down short-sides and float around. I don't think the edge role plays to his strengths, usually if you want a ball-playing style forward like Graham or Matterson they usually have a kicking game to compliment their hard running style.

Last edited:
I don't think he is, Sutton primarily played on the left edge especially after he shifted back post-Keary and C. Walker.

It isn't a Glenn Stewart situation where he was a 'lock' but actually played on the right edge alongside Chez and Lyon.

To answer his question, maybe in a pinch but I believe they'll have him play the lock role where he has a license to play down short-sides and float around. I don't think the edge role plays to his strengths, usually if you want a ball-playing style forward like Graham or Matterson they usually have a kicking game to compliment their hard running style.
Cheers for the insight mate. Having to make tough decisions in the forwards is a welcome dilemma for us to have

Personally i really like this signing.

it gives us some experience in our pack
it adds some variety to our pack
and it doesn't sound like we paid through nose for him (trust me, if we did the media would have been all over it)

Kevvy's said this in a few interviews already, he wants us to get back the old ways with attacking flair and brick wall defence.

That was the beauty of growing up watching the Broncs - you knew we could score from anywhere on the park, but we also knew how to dig in and defend our way to a win in those really gritty matches. **** I miss that.

That was the beauty of growing up watching the Broncs - you knew we could score from anywhere on the park, but we also knew how to dig in and defend our way to a win in those really gritty matches. **** I miss that.

Yes, now we don't know how to do either.

Pretty happy with this one, a step in the right direction and loving the one year deals!

Now if we can just get that Smith guy up here..

Welcome John, decent signing given the circumstances.

The best teams are using ball carrying, mobile and defensively sound locks in their starting packs these days. So this at least acknowledges that we are aware of this trend with this signing...

Im starting to suspect that management have targeted 2021 FA season given the signings we have made....which makes total sense and explains why I'm surprised we are actually thinking like that...not something you expect from Broncos management

Can’t wait to see Big John slice through for a blistering hat trick against his former club next Season :-)

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.