Broncos sign Matt Lodge on one-year deal

So he spent a few days in prison while he was being prosecuted.. Pretty standard for that to happen when the person being prosecuted is from another country. They are considered a flight risk.

Big whoop. I ask again, how has he served his time?
I'm guessing they meant he did his time in reserve grade (plus another year not playing at all). Not sure it was a reference to jail time.

So he spent a few days in prison while he was being prosecuted.. Pretty standard for that to happen when the person being prosecuted is from another country. They are considered a flight risk.

Big whoop. I ask again, how has he served his time?

The money he has to pay them is a pretty reasonable punishment when you also add in that he hasn't been receiving any money from NRL contracts over the last couple of years, which you'd imagine he would've been getting $300k-$400k per season if not for this incident.

So instead of him being in a comfortable financial situation with a stable income and good amount of savings he's had to pay every cent to his name, live in a different state and try to fight for an NRL contract (Which is only minimum wage, now that he's get one) if only to get enough money to pay his debts off and live a relatively normal life.

It may not be as "just" as him spending 5 years in jail, but I guarantee it's fucked his life up more than people are willing to acknowledge.

IIRC what ended up happening was there were no criminal charges pressed against him. It was purely a civil action, and because he didn't represent himself the other party were a walk-up start to their $1.6 million (ish) win.

IIRC what ended up happening was there were no criminal charges pressed against him. It was purely a civil action, and because he didn't represent himself the other party were a walk-up start to their $1.6 million (ish) win.
You are fake news.

It was both. Suspended sentence for the criminal case, damages for the civil case.

You are fake news.

It was both. Suspended sentence for the criminal case, damages for the civil case.

What? Are you saying Dobbo was lying to me on the radio? I don't know who to trust.

**** why do people feel they need to be the judge and jury regarding peoples infractions. This guy almost ruined his life. He has had to live with his crimes not us. He has the right according to the courts to be free and civilly has been ordered to pay a large some in damages. He like anyone else has the right to change/improve his life, walk this earth and play footy which is exactly what he is doing. If he ***** it up thats on him. The Broncos are just giving him a shot and that is a good thing.

**** why do people feel they need to be the judge and jury regarding peoples infractions. This guy almost ruined his life. He has had to live with his crimes not us. He has the right according to the courts to be free and civilly has been ordered to pay a large some in damages. He like anyone else has the right to change/improve his life, walk this earth and play footy which is exactly what he is doing. If he ***** it up thats on him. The Broncos are just giving him a shot and that is a good thing.
Yep let the big fella have a run, I'm sure half the people pointing the finger haven't been saints in their lives. What a difference having a microscope over your life must make.
I'm calling it now he will make 200m in his first game for the broncos.

Yep let the big fella have a run, I'm sure half the people pointing the finger haven't been saints in their lives. What a difference having a microscope over your life must make.
I'm calling it now he will make 200m in his first game for the broncos.
I haven't been a saint, but I definitely have never broken into someone's home, much less threatened to kill them... I also have not attempted to kill someone by stomping on their head, or tried to abort my unborn child and possibly kill its mother, by kicking her in the guts.

Do you think anyone without talent and a rap sheet like Lodge, Packer or Metcalf would be offered such a chance at redemption? They're lucky to get jobs cleaning toilets, and you won't see anyone on forums banging about their right to change/improve their life, which is also not fair btw, because they do.

I totally support rehabilitation after a fair punishment (according to the crime), but handing serious criminals a job earning millions, just because some people don't care by what means their club wins a title (as long as they do), is definitely not ok in my books.

That said, given Lodge would probably get a contract somewhere else anyway, I don't blame the Broncos for giving him this opportunity. It's the NRL who need to take a deep look at themselves...

Ok I've heard about his rampage in the USA, haven't heard of him stomping anyone's head or him kicking his missus in the guts while pregnant? He's not going for a job in child care, I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to play footy

Ok I've heard about his rampage in the USA, haven't heard of him stomping anyone's head or him kicking his missus in the guts while pregnant? He's not going for a job in child care, I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to play footy

3 different players @Porthoz was referring to.

the USA rampage was Lodge
the head stomp was Packer (for which he actually served jail time, although not enough IMO)
I forget who kicked his pregnant misses in the guts though

He committed a serious crime. And you know what? Two days after he was partying..

Yes, he should be rewarded despite not doing any actual time for it.

I couldn't give a **** either way but some of the things people are saying to justify this are ridiculous.

The crime wasn't that bad.. We're not all saints.. He did his time..

He didn't do any time. He copped nothing. He was able to play Rugby League this year once a club wanted him.

Ordered to pay $1 million.. Yeah, he'll have that paid off by the end of 2020.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Strop
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • pennywisealfie
  • Fitzy
  • Dazza 92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.