Broncos sign Matt Lodge on one-year deal

im going to play devils advocate here, this will no doubt rile a few up but lets have a fairdinkum discussion about this.

a) todd carney was kicked out of the nrl for pretending to pee in his own mouth. no harm to anyone or intent to anyone but his own stupid self.

b) lodge threatens with a comment to 2 women of "this is the night you die" plus other horrible things and actions.

i am finding it hard to fathom that you get kicked out for being an a grade dick head but let back in after threatening to kill people??? what the actual ****!
i know carney had a list of issues in the past as does lodge. i was all for retribution earlier this year for lodge but my position has now changed when i look at it this way.

Let us not forget that Carney also has convictions in the ACT for all manner of offences including drink driving and police pursuits, so let us not confuse the issue and suggest that it is simply a case of a convicted offender being given a chance when a bloke who is a bit loose isn’t.

They are both convicted offenders...

Brisbane Broncos defend decision to hand Matt Lodge an NRL lifeline
Peter Badel, The Courier-MailNovember 7, 2017 7:00pm
Subscriber only
BRISBANE boss Paul White has defended the club’s pursuit of Matt Lodge as the Broncos come under fire for issuing the controversial prop an NRL lifeline.
The Courier-Mail’s exclusive report that Lodge will return to the NRL next season has triggered a public backlash with many rugby league fans furious at the NRL integrity unit’s decision to clear the 22-year-old.
After months of uncertainty surrounding Lodge’s future in the code, the 116kg enforcer will officially launch his Broncos career on Thursday when he attends the first day of Brisbane’s pre-season.
Lodge has yet to formally ink his one-year, $85,000 deal, but the Broncos have reserved a spot for him in their 30-man roster and have been told by the NRL his contract will be registered.
There is a sentiment Lodge should never be allowed to play NRL again following his infamous New York rampage in 2015, but Broncos CEO White believes the boom front-rower has earned a second chance.
BIG CHEESE: Brennan leaves Titans in no doubt
d971d3a88e337b3f21dfa4b11c37f211

Matt Lodge has been given an NRL lifeline by the Broncos.
Lodge has not touched alcohol since being arrested by American authorities and has spent the past year warning aspiring NRL stars about the perils of misbehaving off the field.
“Our job will be to support Matt in every endeavour,” White said.
“The off-field work Matt has done has given us some confidence about what he could do for our club.
“If you are happy off the field, you are a good chance of performing on the field.”
In July, Lodge advised White and the Broncos he was returning to Sydney to join the workforce to support his heavily pregnant partner, who is due to give birth next month.
At the time, Lodge was rocked by a $1.6 million damages bill from the US courts. The prop has sought legal assistance and while the Broncos insist it is a private matter for Lodge to sort out, White is adamant playing NRL can help the forward rebuild his life.
“I was devastated when Matt told us he was going back to Sydney because I had seen the work he had done off the field,” he said.
4508e49c617a88c715956cedb2988e63

Matt Lodge has been given an NRL lifeline by the Broncos.
“He had spoken to our under-20s about his own life story. He hasn’t drunk alcohol for two years and he is studying at university, so his behaviour here (at feeder-club Redcliffe) has been exemplary.”
Lodge’s signing will transform Brisbane’s pack. He will be the squad’s biggest player and could be catapulted into the starting side for Brisbane’s season-opener against the Dragons.
“Matt is highly skilful,” White said. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a prop with his ball skills. He is excited and ready to go.”

Can I write my own article with those quotes?

Well, there was a lot more to it than this. He followed a girl and grabbed at her while saying she was going to die. Forced his way into an apartment where he assaulted a man (including punches), then tries to force entry into a locked bathroom that contained a woman and her young son who alledgedly said to his mother "I'm too young to die". After failing to break into the bathroom he punched a while through the door.

I'm not sure why the threat is always the thing that is given the most weight. I barely even count it on the list of noteworthy actions.

For the record, I'm okay with the signing of Lodge but let's at least be honest with what he has done.

I completely agree. I was commenting on talanoas post about what he said . Im not to sure about the credibility of the boys comment, that sounds like a exaggeration to the matter worse. Americans like to exaggerate for their benefit in court imo. Either way he shouldn't have been in there , hopefully there is remorse for his actions.

By the way, has it been established what sort of drugs he was on when he did this? That sounds like somebody on ice.

Either way, welcome aboard Lodgey, let's keep those repressed memories and base animal instincts confined to the footy field this season.

Lodge and Packer both know they are walking on a very thin line and one stuff up and they are gone immediately no questions asked. Carney, regardless of how many warnings or sackings just continues to be Todd Carney. NRL refusing to let him play now is only because he refuses to tow the line with regards to the rules. Carney can cry the victim all he wants but how many chances do we need to give these guys?

He didn't kick his pregnant missus in the guts though. It's one thing to be a flog on the drink, it's another to turn into an outright criminal.

We are all complaining about Lodge but does anyone think how many chances Roberts has had even this year. We all love Roberts so if Lodge fires then we can love him too.

He didn't kick his pregnant missus in the guts though. It's one thing to be a flog on the drink, it's another to turn into an outright criminal.

But to continue to be a flog is why Carney isnt allowed to play NRL anymore. Its not just one or two things with him, its multiple offences with mulitple clubs which has led to his sacking from each club. I dont think he has actually finished up with a club on a good note yet in first grade. He has been sacked from every club he has been at.

But to continue to be a flog is why Carney isnt allowed to play NRL anymore. Its not just one or two things with him, its multiple offences with mulitple clubs which has led to his sacking from each club. I dont think he has actually finished up with a club on a good note yet in first grade. He has been sacked from every club he has been at.

And I get that, I do. Kick him out, I don't care, he's a flog. But if we allow those three mentioned, for mine, we have to allow Todd Carney.

Did Carney ever do anything as bad as Packer, Lodge or Robert Lui? He's done a lot of stupid shit, but never anything horrific.

Guys the reasons are clear, because it’s us

And I get that, I do. Kick him out, I don't care, he's a flog. But if we allow those three mentioned, for mine, we have to allow Todd Carney.
Did the NRL not allow him to return? Hence why we were offering him a contract.

Also, how many final chances does one get?

Did the NRL not allow him to return? Hence why we were offering him a contract.

Also, how many final chances does one get?
Carney is allowed back. He is simply unwilling to agree to the behavioural clauses clubs want him to abide by. It's not as if there is a blanket no.

However he is showing zero signs of willingness to abide by any club rules so accordingly he is playing Q-Cup. Others such as Packer and Lodge, are apparently happy to abide by club and NRL rules.

Carney is allowed back. He is simply unwilling to agree to the behavioural clauses clubs want him to abide by. It's not as if there is a blanket no.

However he is showing zero signs of willingness to abide by any club rules so accordingly he is playing Q-Cup. Others such as Packer and Lodge, are apparently happy to abide by club and NRL rules.

This.

Also, Packer and Lodge (and Dugan and Ferguson presumably) have so far abided by the rules set out by the Dragons / Roosters / Brisbane, they're still on their "second chance". Carney's second chance was with the Roosters, and he fucked that up. His third chance was with the Sharks and he fucked that up too.

Of course this is ignoring the multiple chances players have got at the same club (Lodge had a couple at the Tigers, the other 3 fucked up numerous times as the Raiders), but at least they've so far behaved for their second-chance club.

Did Carney ever do anything as bad as Packer, Lodge or Robert Lui? He's done a lot of stupid shit, but never anything horrific.

i forgot about lui, he was a bad ass too.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Kev_Guz
  • Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • Lostboy
  • ell.d33
  • Midean
  • MrMoore
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • Manofoneway
  • Financeguy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Foordy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.