Broncos sign Matt Lodge on one-year deal

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
No Moga and also I have a bit of hate since he signed with the knights as well.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/3815b721597419b9d40e6a8cd5c724b9

BRISBANE boss Paul White has defended the club’s pursuit of Matt Lodge as the Broncos come under fire for issuing the controversial prop an NRL lifeline.
The Courier-Mail’s exclusive report that Lodge will return to the NRL next season has triggered a public backlash with many rugby league fans furious at the NRL integrity unit’s decision to clear the 22-year-old.
After months of uncertainty surrounding Lodge’s future in the code, the 116kg enforcer will officially launch his Broncos career on Thursday when he attends the first day of Brisbane’s pre-season.
Lodge has yet to formally ink his one-year, $85,000 deal, but the Broncos have reserved a spot for him in their 30-man roster and have been told by the NRL his contract will be registered.
There is a sentiment Lodge should never be allowed to play NRL again following his infamous New York rampage in 2015, but Broncos CEO White believes the boom front-rower has earned a second chance.

Lodge has not touched alcohol since being arrested by American authorities and has spent the past year warning aspiring NRL stars about the perils of misbehaving off the field.
“Our job will be to support Matt in every endeavour,” White said.
“The off-field work Matt has done has given us some confidence about what he could do for our club.
“If you are happy off the field, you are a good chance of performing on the field.”
In July, Lodge advised White and the Broncos he was returning to Sydney to join the workforce to support his heavily pregnant partner, who is due to give birth next month.
At the time, Lodge was rocked by a $1.6 million damages bill from the US courts. The prop has sought legal assistance and while the Broncos insist it is a private matter for Lodge to sort out, White is adamant playing NRL can help the forward rebuild his life.
“I was devastated when Matt told us he was going back to Sydney because I had seen the work he had done off the field,” he said.

“He had spoken to our under-20s about his own life story. He hasn’t drunk alcohol for two years and he is studying at university, so his behaviour here (at feeder-club Redcliffe) has been exemplary.”
Lodge’s signing will transform Brisbane’s pack. He will be the squad’s biggest player and could be catapulted into the starting side for Brisbane’s season-opener against the Dragons.
“Matt is highly skilful,” White said. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a prop with his ball skills. He is excited and ready to go.”

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
im going to play devils advocate here, this will no doubt rile a few up but lets have a fairdinkum discussion about this.

a) todd carney was kicked out of the nrl for pretending to pee in his own mouth. no harm to anyone or intent to anyone but his own stupid self.

b) lodge threatens with a comment to 2 women of "this is the night you die" plus other horrible things and actions.

i am finding it hard to fathom that you get kicked out for being an a grade dick head but let back in after threatening to kill people??? what the actual ****!
i know carney had a list of issues in the past as does lodge. i was all for retribution earlier this year for lodge but my position has now changed when i look at it this way.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
im going to play devils advocate here, this will no doubt rile a few up but lets have a fairdinkum discussion about this.

a) todd carney was kicked out of the nrl for pretending to pee in his own mouth. no harm to anyone or intent to anyone but his own stupid self.

b) lodge threatens with a comment to 2 women of "this is the night you die" plus other horrible things and actions.

i am finding it hard to fathom that you get kicked out for being an a grade dick head but let back in after threatening to kill people??? what the actual ****!
i know carney had a list of issues in the past as does lodge. i was all for retribution earlier this year for lodge but my position has now changed when i look at it this way.

Carney had about 10 indiscretions prior to that one.

The proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

Lodge has from what I can tell made efforts to improve himself since he fucked up (not drinking since) whereas carney is still an A-Grade cockwomble at 30 years old.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

But he is Oostrayan, so can they be sure he didn’t actually say, ‘Tonoight, G’day!’?

Chewed

Chewed

QCup Player
Feb 1, 2017

Also bashed a guy who tried to help while his wife and kid hid in a room terrified. What he did was abhorrent. That said, Russell Packer almost beat a guy to death and stomped his head in.... Soooo, yeah.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008

G'day Talanoa,

Always appreciate your posts and thoughts :)

Carney however was not kicked out for pretending to pee in his own mouth - he was kicked out for being a repeat offender - constantly and regularly bringing the game into disrepute.

What Lodge did was worse than any one thing Carney did, but Carney just kept on doing it.

Lodge has had 2 or 3 years out of the NRL and is reported to have given up the source of his issues, alcohol.

Carney refused to give up alcohol.

The difference between these 2 is tangible.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

I agree 100%. Carney is a flog, and yeah, his wrap sheet isn't excellent, but he didn't do anything on the level of this scum bag asshole.

It's a situation of, if we didn't sign him, another shit club would.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
People are acting like threatening to kill someone is worse than the actual attempted murder that Russell Packer went to jail for. The hypocrisy of rugby league fans because this involves the Broncos is ridiculous.

Sorry. Let me make it absolutely clear that I think that scum **** being in the game is bullshit too.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
People are acting like threatening to kill someone is worse than the actual attempted murder that Russell Packer went to jail for. The hypocrisy of rugby league fans because this involves the Broncos is ridiculous.
That is the crux of the question.

I couldn't not believe Packer was allowed back into the game, and like @Nashy said, it isn't a question of allowing Lodge back, but which club would unfortunately...

Still, if it was up to me, the likes of Packer, Lodge, Metcalf, due to the seriousness of their acts, or repeat offender dickheads like Carney, Fergo or Dugan, would have no place in the code.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Lodge and Packer both know they are walking on a very thin line and one stuff up and they are gone immediately no questions asked. Carney, regardless of how many warnings or sackings just continues to be Todd Carney. NRL refusing to let him play now is only because he refuses to tow the line with regards to the rules. Carney can cry the victim all he wants but how many chances do we need to give these guys?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Packer's crime was horrendous, as was Lodge's. I'd actually suggest that people go back and re-read what he actually did. It's pretty fucking bad.

That being said, Its up to the NRL to set the standard. If they allow players with criminal histories like these guys to play then I don't think it's up to the broncos to be the bastion of morality with in the league.

Under the current environment of the game, in happy with this signing.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

Yeah a stupid thing to say but unless there is intent to it , it's just a real dumb thing to say.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Also bashed a guy who tried to help while his wife and kid hid in a room terrified. What he did was abhorrent. That said, Russell Packer almost beat a guy to death and stomped his head in.... Soooo, yeah.

Wasn't it the guy he had the problem with?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Yeah a stupid thing to say but unless there is intent to it , it's just a real dumb thing to say.

Well, there was a lot more to it than this. He followed a girl and grabbed at her while saying she was going to die. Forced his way into an apartment where he assaulted a man (including punches), then tries to force entry into a locked bathroom that contained a woman and her young son who alledgedly said to his mother "I'm too young to die". After failing to break into the bathroom he punched a while through the door.

I'm not sure why the threat is always the thing that is given the most weight. I barely even count it on the list of noteworthy actions.

For the record, I'm okay with the signing of Lodge but let's at least be honest with what he has done.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Hey if it'll help us get a premiership....give me that contract Mr. Satan.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Painin the Haas
  • Skyblues87
  • The Boss
  • Johnny92
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • Brocko
  • kiwi2
  • Jazza
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  • Scorchie
  • MrMoore
  • Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Lostboy
  • TimWhatley
  • eazy-duzzit
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.