Broncos still not getting respect

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Just about everyone you hear talking about the Broncos says something about how yeah yeah, won 3 games in a row, Sharks, blah blah, much harder tests coming against Manly and Souths.

OK, I don't disagree necessarily, but it's a bit demeaning to the first 2 wins of this streak!

Win 1: vs Melbourne...and not just a patchy win, we flogged 'em. Sure, Melbourne can't earn points, but assuming they did, they'd be sitting pretty in 2nd spot right now.

Win 2: vs Titans...sure, one of the ugliest teams in the comp, but they are sitting pretty in 4th and have a reputation for excellent defence - Broncos put 28 on them.

Win 3: vs Sharks...OK, yes, they're shit. But the conditions that game was played under brings everything back much more equal. The Broncos weren't at their best, were under siege at times, and coming off the bye they lacked a little bit of energy...and yet came away 16 points in front!

Yes, Manly this week will be a massive test of where the Broncos are really sitting in terms of form...but those 3 wins and the form of Lockyer, Te'o and Thaiday in particular really should make Manly a little bit nervous!

Spot on, Bevan.

It honestly does not bother me though, I'd much rather fly under the radar so to speak.

Teams can keep on underestimating us, we know what we can do.

ningnangnong said:
Spot on, Bevan.

It honestly does not bother me though, I'd much rather fly under the radar so to speak.

Teams can keep on underestimating us, we know what we can do.

Absolutely.

Though I think if we do knock off Manly at Brookvale we'll be out from under the radar ;-)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T...find out what it means to me.

In all seriousness, I'm happy with us being the "underdogs" or fly under the radar.

Spot on.

Injuries:
Worst year ever IMO.

Storm:
The win against the storm was awsome. When Storm scored first then Cronk kicked the 40/20 i thought we were in for a long afternoon, BUT to the boys credit they were solid in Defence and came away with the win. What was pleasing about this game was Hunt, Norman, Beale and Hoffman showed how good they can be.

Titans:
To much class for the Titan out wide. The Broncos Back Row outplayed one of the top backrows in the comp. Teo was fantasic as was Parker and Thaiday. Wallace coming back from a long lay off and making that tackle on the sideline was great.

Sharks:
We went down to Shark park, our top four players hadnt trained with the team all week and it was cold, wet, windy and we beat the sharks at their own game. I dont think a team has beaten the sharks by more then 10 in the past couple of years when its been wet, cold and windy at toyota park. Lockyer led from the front with "that" tackle and Gillet''s tackle wasnt far off. Great team effort

Manly:
Tough game, but when we win listen to all the Broncos Haters go on about No Mati, No Lyon, No Foran. I dont care really what they think, the people who are still bagging us are the dickheads who put money on the most succesful Rugby League club ever, to not make the finals for the first time in two decades and now their pissed off that we are a top four contender with the way we are playing.

Long way to go but if we have no more injuries "please god" and we get Hodges, Kenny and Anderson back we are looking good.

wow a positive Coxy it must be a miracle

People always disrespect us, and are always left eating their words.

We're playing Manly (A), Souths (H), Panthers (H), Eels (A), Tigers (H) and Titans (A) in this order, who I consider to be our main competitors for a top 4 position, and much is going to be decided in that time frame.
The first 2 are probably the toughest adversaries, and we are lucky without some of their stars (Lyon, Matai, Taylor, Burgess), although we'll be missing our own reps against Souths and the Tigers, which will make that a tough game also, since they shouldn't be missing anyone.
I'd actually like to see how we measure against them at full strenght, to prevent our young guys from getting ahead of themselves in case we do beat them.

Having convincingly beaten the Storm, who went on to beat the Raiders in Canberra and the dogs at home while missing all their stars but Cronk, and completely dominated the Titans at home, I absolutely believe we have the talent to be contestants, but am still weary of the mental toughness of our young team...

I think you're right. We'll know by the end of the Titans game whether the rest of the season is about scrapping for one of the bottom of the 8 positions, or actually preparing for a shot at the title.

I reckon 3-4 wins out of 6 and we'll be right in the mix still for a top 4 spot. Particularly with the run home being a bit less stressful:

Roosters (H)
Dragons (H)
Cowboys (A)
Eels (H)
Knights (A)
Warriors (A)
Raiders (H)

All of those are winnable IMO, with the toughest being (on current form) Dragons and Eels, and toughest based on history being Dragons, Knights and Warriors.

what everyone has said, i think its better we go unnoticed / still cop a bit of flack. it only does more to fire up the likes of lockyer and co when they have a point to prove - ie the last three games.

I remember the last time people on here wanted to be respected by the media we went onto lose 4 straight.

I couldn't care less what the media thinks, they rate players like Tahu and Gallen. I know I rate this squad of Broncos players and that's all that matters to me.

Big Pete said:
I remember the last time people on here wanted to be respected by the media we went onto lose 4 straight.

I couldn't care less what the media thinks, they rate players like Tahu and Gallen. I know I rate this squad of Broncos players and that's all that matters to me.

+1

As long as well all rate the Broncos and we all know what they are capable of then i dont care what the media think.

TWU_1 said:
Titans have a reputation for excellent defence? bull****

Well they were winning games and not scoring a truckload of points, so they were doing it on something! It all started unravelling after the Manly game, but that's not unusual. Manly has that effect on teams.

Hence why this week is a challenge.

Coxy said:
TWU_1 said:
Titans have a reputation for excellent defence? bull****

Well they were winning games and not scoring a truckload of points, so they were doing it on something! It all started unravelling after the Manly game, but that's not unusual. Manly has that effect on teams.

Hence why this week is a challenge.

Agreed

Yeah Coxy, you're right. I'm pretty used to it - and people have been right to dog them in parts this year. But I'm a firm believer in giving credit when credits due. As a supporter, I'm always willing to fault their downpoints while still still keeping the faith. But we've got every right to cheer about the past 3 wins - not just as 'wins', but as well played football games. So many people in Brisbane shit me this way. People I know don't even watch the Broncos when they are losing but still have a massive opinion on the team and everything about it from what they read in the papers or from what they saw in the last game they did watch.

But, I'm happy to listen to it and enjoy the finals weeks of the seasons with those people eating their humble pie.

And Coxy, I saw your comment this morning in couriermail.com and was so tempted to elaborate on it. But then thought against it!

Not getting respect isn't always a bad thing, players play with a chip on their shoulder always gives the team a bit of fire in the belly.

Is it disrespect, or simply that there is skepticism about an injury ravaged side full of new blood doing well?

I think it's more a dislike of Queensland than anything else.

As for the team's performance, isn't it just a question of a team that really is full of class hitting its straps? Assuming we maintain the continued form improvement, Manly will get beaten.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Manlyman
  • Jazza
  • Robboi_321
  • Cavalo
  • winslow_wong
  • Lostboy
  • Thelmus
  • broncs30
  • Morkel
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • Mr Fourex
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.