Broncos Take Heart From Loss

Frank the Tank said:
Bellamys game plan etc is the best by a country mile. when the players follow it and arent on the receiving end of horrible calls, they win.

I was taking the piss. Bellamy is undoubtedly the best coach in the game at the moment. Whether he can keep it going and continue to win premierships over the space of 20 years remains to be seen.

Remember Ricky Stuart was widely regarded the best coach in the league just four short years ago.

Frank the Tank said:
Bellamys game plan etc is the best by a country mile. when the players follow it and arent on the receiving end of horrible calls, they win.

Hilarious. It's the Broncos' old game plan with smaller men and slowing tactics in defence! Simple as that! The only difference is that in attack they've got Smith and Inglis who can create, and Cronk and Slater who do their allocated jobs well. And they engage in grubby wrestling tactics.

The Broncos only had Lockyer in attack until this year. Now they've got Marsh, Ennis, Wallace and Lockyer (if fit) who can create something, and Hunt, Hodges, Boyd, Carroll etc who do good things when they know their role.

To suggest Bellamy is some kind of genius is a joke! His game plan is dead simple, and his team executes it beautifully. Hence why from their own line to half way they are BORING! They're exciting in attack because of the potent attacking players they have. But sometimes they're dead pedestrian too because nobody wants to put their hand up!

You wonder why you can't get taken seriously? People provide a coherent argument against what you say, and out of the really decent points in the paragraphs of writing, you pick out one word and enquire about that. Meh... see, I just find it funny. Bennett's team (the Broncos) have put in two bad performances in the first ten weeks of this year. One of those poor performances was when six of the best players in the game were missing.

You might have noticed that your beloved Cowboys (who, interestingly, were missing nowhere near as many) and the Storm looked MUCH worse minus their origin players on the weekend, and had their arses absolutely handed to them as a result. Yet the knives aren't out for those clubs, just for the horrible and out of date Wayne Bennett, who has brought no success to this club for the past 21 years. FMD.

I've been a fairly staunch critic of WB over the years, and I believe that we fans have a right to complain when we think people aren't doing the best thing for the club. But I must say his moves last year to get rid of slow, old dinosaurs like Thorn, Carlaw and Civoniceva and take a punt on some young, cheap buys was a ballsy move... I gained a lot more respect for him after taking the measures that he took. Likewise his cull in coaching ranks at the end of 2005. Surprise surprise, a premiership the year after.

Well said Mick!

My only criticism of Bennett from last year is that he didn't come out and just tell Petero that his services were no longer required and that the club was going a different way. The big fella deserved to be told that, rather than just stuff around with his manager until they went elsewhere.

I think that's one area where he's got weaker over the years. He had no trouble telling Wally Lewis to take a hike, yet he can't tell blokes he respects and likes the truth up front.

I think what mick! and coxy has been said above is exactly what I am trying to get at in relation to the Bennett v Bellamy argument. Bellamy in my mind- yes on the technical side of things, the best coach in the business but that's not what a coach is solely about. Bennett has gone through thick and thin and is still able to produce results because of a culture he has established and a relationship with his players that allows him to get the best out of them majority of the time.

Until! I see Bellamy have to go through the same hardships and come out on top, I still maintain that Bennett is better value as a coach than Bellamy. St. George as an organisation and culture will reap the benefits.

But I'm not saying Broncos shouldn't have moved on.. I believe Henjak will take the reigns perfectly fine and is a more than capable replacement.. (as you can tell I would have preferred Bellamy to stay in Melbourne).

And my point Stu was that the wonderful game plan Bellamy is using is so genetically similar to the Broncos' game plan of the past 8 years as to be distinguishable only by the use of the grapple tackle and smaller forwards.

So why is Bellamy so great, while Bennett so crap when they use the same game plan?

Might I add Bennett has won 2 premierships in the past 8 seasons with said game plan, while Bellamy has 1 from 6.

"The Storm were missing their whole side, so it was expected theyd lose"

But yet, a Broncos team minus Karmichael Hunt, Justin Hodges, Darren Lockyer, Peter Wallace, PJ Marsh, Ben Hannant and Sam Thaiday was somehow expected to win and a 7-point gutsy loss was an unacceptable result?

Again, FMD.

You keep on pulling out the line "everyone hates me because I criticise the Broncos". Get farked. Everyone on here, aside from a few groupies, has had serious problems with issues, coaching staff and/or players over the years. Everyone gets pissed at you because you seem to have some ridiculously high standards that NO team could ever surely match, and as a result at least 75% of your "Criticism" (read: mindless bitching) is completely irrelevant and unfounded.

apart from a lucky premiership in 06, the Broncos have been absolutely horrible since 2000.

2001: Regular Season, 6th. Made Prel. Final.
2002: Regular Season, 3rd. Prel. Final.
2003: Regular Season, 8th. Qual. Final.
2004: Regular Season, 3rd. Semi Final.
2005: Regular Season, 3rd. Semi Final.
2006: Regular Season, 3rd. Premiers
2007: Regular Season, 8th. Qual. Final.

Might I add, this is without a solid 7 or hooker who are two of the most important positions in a team.

"Absolutey horrible" yeah..

Frank the Tank said:
mal said:
apart from a lucky premiership in 06, the Broncos have been absolutely horrible since 2000.

Might I add, this is without a solid 7 or hooker. two of the most important positions in a team.

"Absolute horrible" yeah..
and not once in any of those other years did they even look remotely like winning, or even making the grand final. to make the finals these days you can lose as many as you win. making the finals is no big deal really.

and mick!, where did Frank say that the Broncos were expected to win against the Sharks?

You didn't. But you've come down strong on how "tired" and crap we looked, while simply remarking that the Storm were expected to lose.

Frank the Tank said:
mal said:

Might I add, this is without a solid 7 or hooker. two of the most important positions in a team.

"Absolute horrible" yeah..
and not once in any of those other years did they even look remotely like winning, or even making the grand final. to make the finals these days you can lose as many as you win. making the finals is no big deal really.

and mick!, where did Frank say that the Broncos were expected to win against the Sharks?

Top 4, 4 years out of 7 and try telling the rest of the playing field that finals is no big deal. Haha

Melbourne Storm under Craig Belly-ache.

1. 2003: Regular 5th, Semi final.
2. 2004: Regular 6th, Semi final.
3. 2005: Regular 6th, Semi Final
4. 2006: Regular 1st, Grand final LOSER.
5. 2007: Regular 1st, Premiership.

SO much better than the Broncos in the same time period.

The fact that you're in a thread, Frank, about the Sharks loss slamming the club's blooding of players and all-round ability of coaching staff... well, forgive me for adding two and two and getting four.

Okay, whatever. I think if you come into a thread specifically about the good points to take out of a loss saying nothing but bad points, then you weren't overly impressed or expecting the performance/result. But hey, that's just me.

mick! said:
Okay, whatever. I think if you come into a thread specifically about the good points to take out of a loss saying nothing but bad points, then you weren't overly impressed or expecting the performance/result. But hey, that's just me.

Nah Mick, have to be fair to Frank here. He replied when the discussion turned to Bennett blooding players or sticking with tried and (debatably) tested players.

Just really noticed now too - apologies, Frank - I was completely off for a few posts there!

Yeah...but then on the flip side, why would you bring a young gun in and put all the pressure on him when there is a non-existant half (perry/Stagg) and have his confidence busted up?....rather wait for a wallace or a lockyer to be there and ease them into the big time.

mrslong said:
Yeah...but then on the flip side, why would you bring a young gun in and put all the pressure on him when there is a non-existant half (perry/Stagg) and have his confidence busted up?....rather wait for a wallace or a lockyer to be there and ease them into the big time.

For the simple reason that we need to win some of these games without our stars! Otherwise we will fall out of contention with the top teams, which them puts massive pressure on the Origin stars to dig us out of a whole, something in past years they have struggled to do because of fatigue, injuries and so on.

As far as I am concerned how are young guys suppose to get experience if they dont get thrown in the 'deep end' as such? They dont, because under WB's current plans they only play 15-20mins when the game is already decided one way or the other.

Its good to wait for Locky and Wally in theory, but we cant afford to because the competition is so close. I mean look at last week, we sat 2nd going into the sharks game and we are now 6th and are only in the 8 because of our superior points difference.

Frank the Tank said:

How any one can say winning a premiership is lucky is beyond me?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • NSW stables
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • barker
  • davidp
  • Lurker
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.