Broncos Take Heart From Loss

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
PROUD stand-in Broncos skipper Corey Parker says the club has the depth to win its share of games during the testing State of Origin period despite Saturday night's 13-6 loss to Cronulla.

Parker (pictured) said Broncos players had walked away from Toyota Park with their heads held high knowing they could match it with the best even in the absence of their Origin stars.

The Broncos had six players on Origin duty and Cronulla two, but Brisbane led 6-4 at halftime and the result was in doubt until Sharks halfback Brett Kimmorley landed a 75th-minute field goal.

The loss saw Brisbane slip from third to sixth, four points behind competition leaders the Gold Coast.

Brisbane has a bye next weekend but then has five games before the end of the representative season with two of those -- against St George Illawarra and Penrith -- to be played on the road without the Origin elite.

``I think our depth this year is up there with previous seasons,'' Parker said. ``Cronulla is one of the leading clubs and yet they only beat us 13-6 and we had ourselves to blame in a number of areas.

``The effort and courage we showed was outstanding but we shot ourselves in the foot a few times with discipline. One of our main things all week was to put in for your mate and we did that.''

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett praised Parker for the way he led from the front despite playing only his third match in an injury-plagued season.

``I was elated with the effort tonight,'' Bennett said.

Despite the loss, Parker said the night would always live in his memory because he fulfilled his childhood dream of captaining the Broncos.

``You only have to look at the players who have done the job before to see what an honour it is,'' he said. ``Regardless of the players who were out, it's something I'll cherish for a long, long time.''

Parker played three Origin matches for Queensland in 2004-05, and was rated a frontline contender for Maroon honours this season following the retirement from representative football of Tonie Carroll and the loss of Shaun Berrigan and Dane Carlaw to English Super League.

``As they say, timing is everything and that applies to footy as well as life in general,'' Parker said. ``It was disappointing to be out of the picture with the knee injury but you can't dwell on it. You've just got to play the cards you're dealt with, do the `rehab' and get back on the field.''

http://broncos.com.au/index.php?page_id=3621

Do you guys agree with this, I think we have depth but we just struggle at the 6 and 7. Although if Wallace wasn't picked for origin we would have no problem.

I thought they played terrible.

No one really stepped up and had a go.

The effort? What effort? I sure as hell didn't see much.

No doubt there was effort. They tried hard. But doesn't matter how hard you try if you're trying the wrong thing.

I agree with Bennett, Parker was brilliant: 6 tackle breaks, 3 offloads, 32 tackles and 11 hit-ups. He should have been playing Origin these last 2 seasons, but both times injuries kept him out of it.

I reckon they tried pretty hard. I mean, apart from losing, the Sharkies didn't really put a lot of points against us, so I guess it's a positive thing. They had halves who actually play on the halves on a regular basis in comparison to Perry and Staggy.

i was happy with the effort, the game could have ended up our way if a couple of the 50/50 stuff landed on our side of the ledger.

Yeah i thought we we where pretty terrible, and I think a major reason that we didnt get smashed was cause the sharks also where pretty bad, plus the rain didnt help!!

On paper i thought our forward pack looked pretty good but like others have said our halves just offered nothing and while Ennis did well with the football in hand, his penalties where just plain stupid and let the sharks back in the game!!

I did see a glimpse of what taylor was capabale of with a huge run he made in the 2nd half but other than that id be a little concerned about our future ga,es without our origin stars!!

| * kelsey * | said:

Kels - you're such a harsh critic [icon_wink You were frozen on the hill just like the rest of us!!!

Willie said:
| * kelsey * | said:

Kels - you're such a harsh critic [icon_wink You were frozen on the hill just like the rest of us!!!

Hey come on I wasnt frozen! I was ready to run around and play footy if I had one, heck I was ready to run on the field and play halfback for us instead of Perry [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. _woohoo_

I tend to agree that we were pretty bad though. Maxwell didnt help us either.

It was a disappointing game but hey - that's what happens during Origin time!!!

We have the bye this week and we can learn from this one! icon_thumbs_u

I think Perry really had the opportunity to lead from the front, and didn't- It's time to move on. Moon definintely was putting in the effort, made a few mistakes but he was still trying to do something which I struggle to say for the rest..

I really think we should in future baby broncos games, maybe try McCullough (sp?) or Hunt @ 7, with Moon in the 6. But that's just me.. and we all know it won't happen, but anyway!@

mal having some browser trouble hey :P

But yeh you can tell moon was trying his heart out. hell he nearly got a 40/20. id be fine with some errors from moon if he was given a chance in the 6 and he kept trying as hard as he does

I really start to worry when there is a story like this talking up a loss.

I must have been watching a different game, because all I saw was just a bunch of disorganised players running around.

I thought there was some effort from a few blokes, but in all seriousness our attack was never going to worry the Sharks.

No doubt Bennett will go with the same halves pairings in future games when our Origin boys are out, which is a huge concern.

I am just sick of Bennett not prepared to give our youngsters a go.

Lockyer is out so we have a versatile second rower in the 6 jersey. what a joke.
After this origin, i hope to see Hunt in the 6 and Boyd in the 1 until Lockyer returns.
If Bennett wants Hunt to be at the back then he needs to bite the bullet and give a young kid a go.

As pathetic as our halves where on saturday night, Ive always had faith in waynes judgement and I guess if he doesnt feel there ready for first grade then there probably not!!

I do agree that blooding some younger players around this time is good idea but only if they are up to an NRL standard and obviously waybe doesnt think they are!! I just see it as pointless to throw some young kid into the NRL if he isnt up to the standard, and if it fails its not going to help his confidence in the years to come!! Im sure if wayne thought they where ready they'd be there! so as much as I hate the perry/stagg combo i think we may have to be satisfied with those two!!

mal said:
I think Perry really had the opportunity to lead from the front, and didn't- It's time to move on. Moon definintely was putting in the effort, made a few mistakes but he was still trying to do something which I struggle to say for the rest..

I really think we should in future baby broncos games, maybe try McCullough (sp?) or Hunt @ 7, with Moon in the 6. But that's just me.. and we all know it won't happen, but anyway!@
I totaly agree on the bit in red. I have been saying this for ages McCollough or Hunt at 7 and Moon at 5/8. Since Moon played 5/8 for Qld cup(or whoever he played for) its not like he isn't used to playing 5/8. And he showed that he is a good kicker too, almost kicking a 40/20 and also McCollough done a few good kicks. Perry and Stagg have to go! I think having Carrol playing 5/8 would be better then Stagg.Wake up Wayne... :|

We've said it before many times - the Broncos selectors are so damn BORINGLY conservative.

I'd rather lose a game with young blood being given a chance than old useless hacks (Perry) being selected over and over, or players like Stagg - ok most of the time, but NOT out of his proper position, which is back row.

Sheesh!

The Roosters e.g. seem to be doing just fine with their young guns. Why on earth do we persist with a formula that clearly doesn't work?

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Fozz
  • broncotville
  • GCBRONCO
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Old Mate
  • rj9
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.