Broncos Take Heart From Loss

rnabokov said:
The Roosters e.g. seem to be doing just fine with their young guns. Why on earth do we persist with a formula that clearly doesn't work?

Yeah but they still have thir halves who are playing some really great footy!! If we had lockyer and Wallace we'd probably do fine as well!!

broncos85 said:
rnabokov said:
The Roosters e.g. seem to be doing just fine with their young guns. Why on earth do we persist with a formula that clearly doesn't work?

Yeah but they still have thir halves who are playing some really great footy!! If we had lockyer and Wallace we'd probably do fine as well!!

True - but we don't. Time for a change, eh?

And the Roosters have re-structured their team. We don't - we keep the same old hacks.

So we lose. Meh.

Yeah i guess but in the end its only for 3 games and i know that can make all the difference at the end of the season, but its just somehting we have to live with being one of only 3 QLD Teams.

Also who would have thought Wallace would be picked, im guessing the broncos probably hadn't counted on that and then they where left trying to find a decent halves pairing!! But like i said in previously if wayne doesnt think players r ready 4 the nrl then there probably not and its pointless giving them a run before there ready!!

waynes Mind is no longer on the broncos. i honestly think he is thinking about next year. Blood Hunt already

rnabokov said:
broncos85 said:
rnabokov said:

True - but we don't. Time for a change, eh?

And the Roosters have re-structured their team. We don't - we keep the same old hacks.

So we lose. Meh.

We didn't restructure for last weekend. True.

But the re-structuring of our team for this season is arguably one of the biggest the club has seen. Baby steps.

broncos85 said:
Yeah i guess but in the end its only for 3 games and i know that can make all the difference at the end of the season, but its just somehting we have to live with being one of only 3 QLD Teams.

Also who would have thought Wallace would be picked, im guessing the broncos probably hadn't counted on that and then they where left trying to find a decent halves pairing!! But like i said in previously if wayne doesnt think players r ready 4 the nrl then there probably not and its pointless giving them a run before there ready!!
Yeah Exactly. If they aren't ready for NRL then you don't want to blood them too soon and ruin them. Wayne knows what he's doing.

Those other people who say he is already concentrating on next year, just give it up already. He's the best coach in the business and he'll be wanting to do the best for his current team, and the players he's coaching....

how is a Stagg/Perry 6/7 the best for the team when we could be running a Moon/Hunt 6/7

Perry was Standable when he had a good 6. But having a Solid 6 and a Solid 7 doesnt work

Don't disagree with that draggx, but how Stagg/Perry being selected is an indication that Bennett is thinking about next year is beyond me.

Bennett always picks "solid" combinations during Origin depleted rounds.

I disagree- Bennett might go about things differently to Bellamy when selecting certain line-ups, some of which I disagree with but he has established the Broncos as the best modern-day team with 6 premierships, from 6 grand-finals in 20 years. He took a just a top 8 team in 2006 to Grand Final glory against a team full of super-stars and his game-plan completely shutdown your supposide "super coach" in Bellamy.

Sure Bennett has made his mistakes in the past with blooding players, but also his approach has produced some of the best footy players the league has seen. And he has consistently since 91 produced a top 8 team, his consistency is unmatched. And these are players who don't physically or skillfully have the best thing going for them, but their grit, determination, effort and never-say-die attitude makes them in a league of their own.

I'm not saying Bennett is the best coach I do not know this but his record certainly is a compelling arugment. What he does have that no other coach has, and that's the ability to rise to the occasion and get 110% out of his players. Bellamy has alot of catching up to do before I personally consider him in the league of Bennett. He has had a superstar of a lineup at Melbourne and I'll reserve my judgement until I see Melbourne go through the cycle of the salary cap, losing a key player or two, play without a hooker and a halfback for a few years and see how far they get.

A Melbourne without Smith or Cronk? Hrmmm... now that would tell me whether or not he has what it takes to take his team most of the way, if not all the way. Not to mention Bellamy has had a very lucky 3 years in regards to injury, hardly any of his key players have been out for extended times which makes it alot easier for him to blood youngsters it's not much of a gamble with full line-up.

But anyway... Each to their own.

Frank the Tank said:
dont try and use his PAST results to justify him being a good coach NOW. yes he was the best coach, yes hes got a great record, but no hes not the best anymore.

Past results, 2006 wasn't that long ago you know. It's all good and well to say you are only as good as your last game but you never stop being a good coach, technically capable of keeping up with changing in the game? Yeah maybe you lose that.. but you just have to look at the reinvented Broncos of 07 and 08 to know that Bennett is clearly able to keep up with the times.

So, going by your argument the last coach to win a Premiership is the best? Especially one with a line-up calibre of Storms...

Success is not always the first sign of a good coach- but as I said in my previous post, I don't know if Bennett is the best coach in the league, but I also think Bellamy has alot more to prove to be in Bennetts league. And that's taking his club through the struggles of losing key players and producing results without key positions. That's my sign of a good coach- one which can produce results with what he's got whether it be deadweight or superstars.

Frank the Tank said:
bennet cant get the best out of his players. gee NZ looked great in that test match didnt they? and how about when australia got flogged in the tri-nations? wow he sure got the best out of them then! first time we'd lost a series in how long, 20 years?

How the hell does this prove anything? **** me, he's not Superman- He had a week with NZ players, what do you expect him to do? Be realistic here....

Frank the Tank said:
Frank thought he got 110% out of his players?

how do you explain the tri-nations series loss then? he had them for weeks and weeks, if not months.

I can't explain the loss, is this the only argument you have against Bennett though? Tri-nations loss? Hrmm, you got me there.. shit coach.

You seem to be digging deep in the barrel to put dirt on Bennett's ability as a coach.

mal said:
Frank the Tank said:

how do you explain the tri-nations series loss then? he had them for weeks and weeks, if not months.

I can't explain the loss, is this the only argument you have against Bennett though? Tri-nations loss? Hrmm, you got me there.. shit coach.

You seem to be digging deep in the barrel to put dirt on Bennett's ability as a coach.

How about the win the year before? When Australia put 40-odd points on England in the first half in what has since been rated the best half of football in rugby league history.

That had nothing to do with the coach though did it?

I gotta say that when Thomas the Tank was around, Frank's negativity and bagging of pretty much everything to do with the broncos was a lot easier to take cause Thomas was just so bloody annoying. Bring back Thomas! [icon_lol1.

Agree Emma! At least Thomas likes the Broncos! LOL

Frank the Tank said:
- horrible player selection for matches.

Wrong.

Frank the Tank said:
- poor player signings and giving people their marching orders

Wrong.

Frank the Tank said:
- outdated and predictable game plan

I agree with that one, and that in turn leads to the decisions in the two points above. IE, Bennett would select/sign players that suited the game plan he wanted to enforce. That's why I say your assertions about Bennett in the first points are wrong, because he is actually good at selecting players based on the type of game he wants them to play.

His fundamental flaw was a) deciding on the game plan based on what the majority of players at the club were like, and then b) clearing out the players that didn't suit that game plan.

It took until end of 2007, but he cleaned out most of the "boring, predictable" players and hired a bunch more interesting players and devised a better game plan accordingly.

Frank the Tank said:
- failure to move with the times

I'm never one to believe that game plans are time-linked. Just because some teams are doing one thing doesn't mean all teams have to follow. Ironically, all the teams are now going to a boring, predictable game plan. The Storm are a classic example. It's just a boring, predictable game plan based on mobility, rather than size and power like the Broncos' much maligned power game.

Therefore I think this is a stupid reason to criticise Bennett. The Broncos have never been about following the leader. They've been about BEING the leader.

Frank loves the broncos - but he hates the coach and a few of the players.

It's impossible to love something when you hate parts of it. The two emotions do not work together.

Frank the Tank said:

[icon_lol1.

What about Bellamy being the best coach by daylight?

Lost more GF's than Bennett, and he's only been a head coach for a few years. Absolute myth.

Hate is just too strong a feeling for it. You can certainly wish things were different or better, but to hate them suggests you would rather see them fail. That doesn't seem to match.

You can't want the team to win but hope several players, or the coach, fail so they're dropped, or get injured.

For instance tonight are you going to hope Karmichael Hunt absolutely stuffs everything he touches, misses tackles, throws bad passes, kicks crap...because that will only hurt Queensland's chances, though it will almost ensure he gets dropped.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncorob
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • kman
  • Strop
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.