NEWS Broncos, Titans told to step up and ensure game is not forgotten in Brisbane’s western corridor

AFL has nothing in western Sydney. For all the hype in the media down there and the BS they spread about them being Australia-wide 99% of people in western Sydney (that 1% are ex Victorians, bigger population then perth or Adelaide btw)couldn't name 2 current players, especially from the giants.

A lot of people ask me why I hate AFL, but living in western Sydney when the giants came in is the reason why. The AFLs arrogance was ASTOUNDING. Its as if they thought we simply hadn't seen the light, we didn't know what we liked, it was only a matter of time before we saw what we were missing in our lives. It wasn't just the AFL organisation, it was their fans, it was their media. We were/are idiots for not seeing how good it is. If it's so fucking good how come OVER HALF the Australian population has a different sport as it's number 1 (that's right, despite what the media make out, NSW, QLD AND ACT make up the MAJORITY of the population and most don't give a **** about AFL) and it's only played in 1 fucking country. Why? Bcos it IS shit. That's why.

Rant over. It may be in their schools but its as likely Ipswich people will follow as islanders were when they signed folau and hunt and suddenly sung from their perch that 150kg islanders were gonna fall in love with chasing a ball around like a flock of seagulls with a chip on the beach.
Ignorance= fear

Ignorance= fear
Haha... so I'm ignorant? And fearful of AFL? This is EXACTLY the type of arrogant comment AFL people make when the credibility of their game is questioned.
No facts, there's obviously just SOME REASON someone doesn't like AFL. Its my ignorance and fear that's the problem.... AFL people, particularly Victorians, are so insular it's incredible. They think the rest of the world needs to catch up to them lol. Now that is what I call ignorance...

Haha... so I'm ignorant? And fearful of AFL? This is EXACTLY the type of arrogant comment AFL people make when the credibility of their game is questioned.
No facts, there's obviously just SOME REASON someone doesn't like AFL. Its my ignorance and fear that's the problem.... AFL people, particularly Victorians, are so insular it's incredible. They think the rest of the world needs to catch up to them lol. Now that is what I call ignorance...
You made a blanket statement "AFL is shit" that's an ignorant statement. Personally I love both, I do think the AFL has a bigger future though. Also some "facts"

You made a blanket statement "AFL is shit" that's an ignorant statement. Personally I love both, I do think the AFL has a bigger future though. Also some "facts"
Haha ironic.... go through any AFL vs NRL fan forum 2 years ago and youll notice dozens of AFL fans stating that the tv ratings are bullshit hahahaha now it suits them they are good to go.
Newsflash "state with massive lockdowns with people unable to leave homes has increase in tv viewing"... good work Sherlock!
You guys still have the superior athletes I'm guessing? Don't hear that much these days. Is that bcos NRL players won rexonas greatest athllete 2/3 times (the other being a rugby player)and the charity boxing bouts(didnt hear about this I'm guessing? Barry hall didnt get knocked out one time though after growing up boxing and it was plastered everywhere for 2 weeks that AFL won the night haha), and SAS Australia, and any other thing that didn't involve running around in circles and being tall? That's bit of "fact" used to get rammed down our throat when I was in western Sydney. Actually comical...

And btw. This response is EXACTLY what pissed off a lot of sydney people and does the same up here in brizzy too. How many AFL club forums have people going on about how NRL tv is better in some capacity? deadset haha "YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE THINKINV", you guys are like Jehovah witnesses with it. If you love it, talk about how great it is on an actual AFL FORUM.

Haha ironic.... go through any AFL vs NRL fan forum 2 years ago and youll notice dozens of AFL fans stating that the tv ratings are bullshit hahahaha now it suits them they are good to go.
Newsflash "state with massive lockdowns with people unable to leave homes has increase in tv viewing"... good work Sherlock!
You guys still have the superior athletes I'm guessing? Don't hear that much these days. Is that bcos NRL players won rexonas greatest athllete 2/3 times (the other being a rugby player)and the charity boxing bouts(didnt hear about this I'm guessing? Barry hall didnt get knocked out one time though after growing up boxing and it was plastered everywhere for 2 weeks that AFL won the night haha), and SAS Australia, and any other thing that didn't involve running around in circles and being tall? That's bit of "fact" used to get rammed down our throat when I was in western Sydney. Actually comical...

You can scream and shout all you want about it but it doesn’t change the fact the AFL is growing rapidly and the NRL isn’t. The AFL is also about to put a team in Tassie getting a foothold in another market the NRL ignores. Like how can a national competition not have a team in Perth or Adelaide?

Perth is screaming out for an NRL team, union left it wide open and the NRL isn’t even considering it, it’s so insular.

The AFL is run professionally and the growth proves it, the NRL is run by Vlandys and the damage he has done to the sport proves it.

And also, even if the NRL did rate on tv better than AFL, at least AFL had the crowds in the actual stadium. Now, the AFL has both.

Just so we are clear, I am NOT (and I’m sure neither is @Socnorb, though I’m not trying to put words in his mouth) saying the AFL is better, I love both sports. And you seem to want to take the debate in this direction for some reason, I guess simply because you don’t like the sport and that’s fine.

The point to this discussion is the AFL is growing rapidly while the NRL is being destroyed by idiots in charge, if you aren’t concerned about this, that’s concerning, particularly given such an ‘inferior’ sport is now more popular than the ‘superior’ one.

Unfortunately, NRL management agrees with you and is holding the sport back, so sad.

He’s a 6 y/o. They don’t do headers. Like I said, next year basketball.

I’ve done my research.
Even top division under 13s are shy with the headers.

Not a competition. Soccer is a safer superior product (can argue about the superior if you wish). Love my league but glad kids are playing other sports. I reconcile a lot of contradictions like that.

Ohh and blind Freddy Fittler can see the AFL are switched on from a management and development perspective the last few decades, and League management, sadly, are not.. Reasons for that I can only speculate.

Vlandy's I think may be the best league management has had for a long time.. I think the vitriol he receives on here may be misplaced, sans the rule change fiascos he seems to be pushing in the right directions I think.

I grew up regarding soccer and AFL the same way... Both boring uninteresting sports that they played in other parts of the world.

Soccer is the world sport, and rightly so, I now realise. AFL despite my best efforts to like it is still a bloody boring sport.

Nice little jab there, Ben!
I kept trying to tell people that Ikin is no fool, no foil for others unless he chose to act out a stooge role. I've had several conversations with him including a lengthy chat over coffee. He's bright, fit, thoughtful and articulates very well. He's impressive and although you might not see it, confident.

Of course what I had to say about him was missed, apparently where we had coffee was more important. I am glad he works for us and I'm equally certain I'll disagree with him from time to time. I do like the quotes attributed to him.

This **** Vas'deferens or whatever the **** his name is, is doing my head in. Spouts so much fucking shit.
When I was young I thought they, Vas Deferens was a German punk rock band. Or did I?

You can scream and shout all you want about it but it doesn’t change the fact the AFL is growing rapidly and the NRL isn’t. The AFL is also about to put a team in Tassie getting a foothold in another market the NRL ignores. Like how can a national competition not have a team in Perth or Adelaide?

Perth is screaming out for an NRL team, union left it wide open and the NRL isn’t even considering it, it’s so insular.

The AFL is run professionally and the growth proves it, the NRL is run by Vlandys and the damage he has done to the sport proves it.

And also, even if the NRL did rate on tv better than AFL, at least AFL had the crowds in the actual stadium. Now, the AFL has both.

Just so we are clear, I am NOT (and I’m sure neither is @Socnorb, though I’m not trying to put words in his mouth) saying the AFL is better, I love both sports. And you seem to want to take the debate in this direction for some reason, I guess simply because you don’t like the sport and that’s fine.

The point to this discussion is the AFL is growing rapidly while the NRL is being destroyed by idiots in charge, if you aren’t concerned about this, that’s concerning, particularly given such an ‘inferior’ sport is now more popular than the ‘superior’ one.

Unfortunately, NRL management agrees with you and is holding the sport back, so sad.
There are idiots in charge of the NRL. Ive said it more times then anyone on here I reckon. But that wasn't the argument at all. If there was a part where I said there was not I'd like you to reference it for me, thanks in advance. And, where did I say inferior vs superior? I stated that that is what the AFL has continuously done, not rugby league fans. Reference again with thanks. It wouldn't be an AFL fan without the "ye, but look at the crowds" crap. The argument was about Ipswich people taking up AFL. I think a AFL is totally shit, we are on a rugby league forum, get over it you lot, seriously there are about 7 billion other people in the world who think the same.

I'll happily put a bet on with you both haha.. find the tv ratings for that area and we will see if in 10 years the AFL gf has half the ratings of any NRL gf, or better yet, state of origin. This whole "gonna take over" crap happens every couple of years yet rugby league is stronger then ever in western Sydney despite the NRLs incompetence and it's overall loss in popularity (which I am not arguing, the NRL admin has shit the bed) and AFL has absolutely failed there (western sydney). They spent far, far more money and time there then they could possibly hope to spend in Ipswich so I'm guessing the same result will occur as long as the Broncos put a little bit of effort in together with a tiny, tiny bit of success from any QLD team or in origin.

I think a team should be in Perth, but this whole argument that the NRL aren't national bcos of it definetly suits the AFL media and fans. Look up the population of the areas that the NRL teams cover compared to the population of the ar3as that the afl teams cover and youll find NRL is covering a far greater area population-wise. Or do Townsville, Newcastle, the Illawarra, Canberra, and to a lesser extent NZ and Moreton bay and even sunshine coast not count? "But it's not in all the capital cities"... but AFL doesn't have a team iin the Australian capital, who gives a **** lol... yes there should be a Perth team but everywhere else in Australia outside of rugby league heartlands shouldnt be worth even an ounce of concern, but im guessing once a Perth team is added AFL fans will be saying "it's not national until Adelaide are in it" lol...

There are idiots in charge of the NRL. Ive said it more times then anyone on here I reckon. But that wasn't the argument at all. If there was a part where I said there was not I'd like you to reference it for me, thanks in advance. And, where did I say inferior vs superior? I stated that that is what the AFL has continuously done, not rugby league fans. Reference again with thanks. It wouldn't be an AFL fan without the "ye, but look at the crowds" crap. The argument was about Ipswich people taking up AFL. I think a AFL is totally shit, we are on a rugby league forum, get over it you lot, seriously there are about 7 billion other people in the world who think the same.

I'll happily put a bet on with you both haha.. find the tv ratings for that area and we will see if in 10 years the AFL gf has half the ratings of any NRL gf, or better yet, state of origin. This whole "gonna take over" crap happens every couple of years yet rugby league is stronger then ever in western Sydney despite the NRLs incompetence and it's overall loss in popularity (which I am not arguing, the NRL admin has shit the bed) and AFL has absolutely failed there (western sydney). They spent far, far more money and time there then they could possibly hope to spend in Ipswich so I'm guessing the same result will occur as long as the Broncos put a little bit of effort in together with a tiny, tiny bit of success from any QLD team or in origin.

I think a team should be in Perth, but this whole argument that the NRL aren't national bcos of it definetly suits the AFL media and fans. Look up the population of the areas that the NRL teams cover compared to the population of the ar3as that the afl teams cover and youll find NRL is covering a far greater area population-wise. Or do Townsville, Newcastle, the Illawarra, Canberra, and to a lesser extent NZ and Moreton bay and even sunshine coast not count? "But it's not in all the capital cities"... but AFL doesn't have a team iin the Australian capital, who gives a **** lol... yes there should be a Perth team but everywhere else in Australia outside of rugby league heartlands shouldnt be worth even an ounce of concern, but im guessing once a Perth team is added AFL fans will be saying "it's not national until Adelaide are in it" lol...

You said AFL is rubbish (I have substituted the word you used).

Regardless, looking at what is happening right now is only part of the story, more importantly is looking at trends and this article is quite interesting in terms of that:

Now additionally, the AFL GF has outrated the NRL GF for a few years now, again the AFL is growing rapidly.

Obviously I don't have figures for Ipswich and have no idea where to find them but a couple of things to keep in mind, AFL's Austag as far as I am aware has a stronger foothold in school there than rugby league. Additionally, the AFL season being run in Qld the last two seasons has been huge for the AFL, made worse for the NRL by the fact the Lions have been very good during this period and the Broncos have been putrid. This may not show up immediately, it will likely take 5+ years to show up but regardless, a lot of damage has been done to league in this time.

Just so we are clear, I WANT the NRL to be successful, I just really fear the fact that the NRL has done little to grow the game at grassroot level for too long and the damage may already be done.

Ohh and blind Freddy Fittler can see the AFL are switched on from a management and development perspective the last few decades, and League management, sadly, are not.. Reasons for that I can only speculate.

Vlandy's I think may be the best league management has had for a long time.. I think the vitriol he receives on here may be misplaced, sans the rule change fiascos he seems to be pushing in the right directions I think.

I think this is a good point to be honest. I can't stand the bloke and some of the decisions he has made has really damaged the game BUT at least he is trying to do something about growing it, even if not done well or in completely the right direction. The fact he is better than some of the previous leaders is no glowing endorsement though, they have all sucked.

An excellent synopsis and summary.

If only he was the CEO. You know, who’s job it is to develop strategy and grow the game. You know, not the Chairman’s - which is PvLs position.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.