Broncos Vs. Bulldogs *SPOILER*

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I also think the Broncos weren't mentally prepared to play. They thought the game would be rescheduled

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
wow bull shark is reeeeeaaaallly negative.

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
I was at the game last night and it really wasn't that bad (it helped the dogs fans weren't the usual bunch of scum) - the first 50 odd minutes were reasonable, but then it was just one way traffic - hopefully, a good bit of training and re-organising can help, that and a couple of games against average teams will, with any luck, we'll be able to turn around this pitiful D - over 100 points conceded in the last three games, that's something you'd expect from a loser team like the eels or bunnies, lets hope...

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
rnabokov said:
dandan said:
Broncos need to toughen up, theve forgotten how to tackle..getting swattered away like little flies.

The tradition continues. No defensive structure, poor defensive reads out wide, no passion.

The Dogs hunt as a well - dare I say it - drilled pack. We're all over the place in attack and defence.

We, at the moment, will not be a real threat to the top teams.

And Locky, the great man has really slowed down.

Not training for a week has nothing to do with it. We just won't learn the lessons either of the past, nor from how the top defensive teams play.

I agree.

The issue that is the concern is the structure and communication in defence.
Schoolboy like.
There doesn't appear to be a plan. Some of the miscommunication from Lockyer out was embarrassing. Darren appears to be confused about his role in defence. He loves attacking against defenders who rush out of the line, yet he chose that method on occasions.
Defenders who rush up generally need speed and mobility in the event that someone puts a step on.
Sadly, Darren needs to consider if these are attributes he still possesses.

Amazingly, in attack, the Bulldogs got on the outside of us repeatedly. Interesting because the Bulldogs are usually exploited in this way.

I know I prattle on about the Storm's forward structure in attack, but they do it better than anyone.
The Storm have very clever variations on hit up tackles. They shuffle defences around.

We just flick it out and generally make our runners easy targets.
The Storm work defenders over.
We don't.

In saying that, I saw some good things last night, from McGuire in particular.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Hunt has an ongoing shoulder problem and is largely the reason he won't tackle off one side. Lockyer has been a turnstile for years and refuses to tackle with anything other than his arms and hands. He will put his shoulder in when coming in from the side but front-on he never goes in with the shoulder. We seemed to be able to hold them in the forwards when the first player in hits their hips or upperthighs and the second/third players hit them around the chest.

Seriously though we are not a snowballs chance in hell of winning the comp this year. The bookies have got it right...virtually no chance. Got to admit I'm surprised because we got rid of the problem that was stopping us from being successful...you know how the old coach was holding us back and all. eusa_think

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Did anyone really expect us to win this year.

I didn't, I would be happy just to make the 8.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
haha good work yeah we have no chance of winning the premiership... We have a shit coach shit captain shit halfback and shit forward pack we are just shit.. No chnace at all of winning the Premiership nto in a million years it could never happen you'd have a better chance of winning lotto...

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I really think the preparation is more of an excuse than some people want to admit. Even Rabs was saying he was proud of them, and he never compliments the Broncos unless he has to.

Big surprise that the problems we've had all year didn't just disappear with a week of no training :roll: How are they meant to work on their faults if they can't train together?

And, despite their shocking defence, they were still in it with 25 minutes to go. Then they were just exhausted, which I imagine was another side effect of the week that was.

Many people were saying before the game that if the effort was there then they'd be happy. Well I think the effort was definitely there.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
As far as our preparation is concerned we haven't trained as a squad for 3 weeks because of Origin and the quick backup and bye, so that makes a difference.

As for some here now loading up on Locky, well please you are all the football gurus who bagged Boyd for 12 months, bagged WB at every chance etc.

No doubt we have some problems and I don't think we will win the GF but a top 6 finish and good showing in the semis is all I expected.

Henjack needs to vary the rucks a bit because the dummy half stuff is too obvious, I'm mot sure about the hooking role but we need to make a decision and stick to it.

B

bronco_babe77

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
schmix said:
I really think the preparation is more of an excuse than some people want to admit. Even Rabs was saying he was proud of them, and he never compliments the Broncos unless he has to.

Big surprise that the problems we've had all year didn't just disappear with a week of no training :roll: How are they meant to work on their faults if they can't train together?

And, despite their shocking defence, they were still in it with 25 minutes to go. Then they were just exhausted, which I imagine was another side effect of the week that was.

Many people were saying before the game that if the effort was there then they'd be happy. Well I think the effort was definitely there.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I was ok with the loss. Sad, but not angry. It was hardly surprising but it was a 'better loss' than last week. They were also beaten by a better team (almost kills me saying that about the Dogs [icon_non ) and it was obvious they weren't match ready anyway. The last 20 mins or so demonstrated that.

We'll be right.... we'll bounce back after Origin - like always.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
schmix said:
I really think the preparation is more of an excuse than some people want to admit.
x2
I'm proud of the effort they put in.

Ironbroncos

Ironbroncos

QCup Player
May 2, 2008
cant really say much its all been said...rollercoaster game lastnight...bit of a high come halftime, and completely angry disgusted come fulltime.

it was the players in the end that wanted to play, maybe they shouldnt have

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
schmix

I agree with your post.

As I said earlier, I think most weren't mentally prepared to play last night.

IMO, they thought the game would be changed to the Sunday.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
A very unBronco performance in the last 20 minutes... The lack of condtion really showed in that period but early on we were pretty woeful and should have been better.

Things have really gone pear-shaped in the last two weeks. The next 4-6 weeks are going to be incredibly prickly. If we don't tighten up our defence we're going to find ourselves down the bottom half of the 8.

T

tryhard

NYC Player
Jan 24, 2009
Never doubted we would not make the GF this year. Bit much to expect with the loss of so many players,so many new young kids coming in and no minder for Locky. We have no mongrel in this team and that is what we need badly. Just even one TC or Webcke like player would help. Also the coach IMO is not the class of the coach we have had at the club in the past. MAYBE he will get better but I personally don't give him a lot of time at the top.

Last night was a shambles for the guys right up until kickoff. Don't forget most of the boys had come almost straight from a funeral also. I don't think Hunt was very well either by the look of him in the rooms at half time.

They did good apart from crap defense but tired too soon.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Kaz said:
Did anyone really expect us to win this year.

I didn't, I would be happy just to make the 8.

I look forward to a positive comment from Kaz sometime in 2009 - I have my popcorn and streamers ready to celebrate.

The boys need to tighten up the ruck a bit; hopefully a few floggings will solve their mental issues at present.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Caniffe said:
I look forward to a positive comment from Kaz sometime in 2009 - I have my popcorn and streamers ready to celebrate.

You must have missed it. [icon_evillaugh

What you thought I would be thinking we would win the GF with all the changes. [icon_lol1.

Also an even year is the Broncos year to win. :D

Active Now

• Allo
  • Galah
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • Bish
  • Brocko
  • kman
  • Old Mate
  • Mr Fourex
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Aldo
  • teampjta
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.