Broncos Vs. Dragons - Match Thread

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
Big Pete said:
Don't forget Winterstein, Te'o, Kenny and possibly Folau and Yow Yeh back next week. If the boys can build from the effort tonight we could be in for a nice shock.

oh thats right - well bad luck cause the boys all put in and deserve another go - but yes, Tonio, Teo and Yow Weh walk back in, but maybe Kenny should put given some time to focus on something else, forwards were impressive tonight, especially Lui (yellow boots????????)

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010
I am happy with a lot of the young guys tonight. Gillett, Mccollough, Glenn, Hunt, Hoffman, Copley and even Dodds got in to some action this time. Our defense in our half is terrible, especially close to the line. Norman was a soft defender tonight and Setu was hot and cold again. I wish Sammy and Setu would stop getting in Locky's road too! Still it's looking better for us and I guess at least it's some experience for the young guys.

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I'm pretty happy that we actually improved tonight rather than go backwards. We are really missing our backs as we had some opportunities tonight.

Sammy had a great game, he was everywhere! Locky and Wallace tried hard, but as I've said before, they should've mixed their kicking game up. Macca and Gillett were orsm!

Anyway, some things we need to improve that I can think of at the moment:

- shut players down - for the love of Jebus, please!

- support plays - it is so poor at the moment

- kicking options - the opposition keep catching it on full, so why not do something else?

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Astroboy said:
Big Pete said:
Don't forget Winterstein, Te'o, Kenny and possibly Folau and Yow Yeh back next week. If the boys can build from the effort tonight we could be in for a nice shock.

Yep some guys need to be dropped - not because they let the side down particularly but just because better players than them are available again.

Who thou? There is still one spot in the back line if all the above players are back.

Do we go with Teo,Copely,Glenn or Hoffman?

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
PS. Kudos to Hoffman too...and Beale made some good metres, but he wasn't that great in defence.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
Guys honestly if we played like that against the roosters we would of won. Remember Dragons along with storm are fav's for the comp at the moment. Sam Thaiday should be first picked for Aus next month!!!! I got to say Hoffman looks really good and im suprised hom much he has bolcked up. Like everyone has said we really missed our strike backs. I have to say that i am so proud of our foward pack and the fact that we scored the last 2 tries. That proves to me that we defininately didnt clock off and for a young team that's awsome. I think this experiance will be vital towards then end of the year when we get our full team back!!!!!!

To everyone who bagged the Broncos tonight, get real!!! Give them a frickin break and show your team some support!!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Very impressed with the effort form the boys tonight. I think we wouls have beaten a lesser side.. I will say that alot of the Dragons trys were scored off very very soft penalties and were often very soft trys scored out wide.. The only way is up and I look forward to next weekend where the boys will be better and even more hungry for a win.

1. Corey Norman- He didn't play good but didn't play bad. Very solid defensively but I think he has more to give us in attack and on kick returns. MORE URGENCY!!
18. Hoffman- He was good Norman needs to get better other wise I think Hoffman will be in the 1.
3. Copley- Defended pretty well on ocassions and showed a bit in attack will only get better.
2. Beale- I know he trys but IMO he is a winger at best.
5. Rivett- he gives it his all but let us down a bit defensively.
6. Lockyer- was running the ball tonight a good sogn lead the team well
7. Wallace- just needs to improve the kicking game IMO
8. SIms- Needs to be on the field more IMO
9. McCullough- can and will improve defends well.
10. Anderson- quiet tonight but worked hard
11. Setu- No doubt has talent but continues to let us down in defence
12. Thaiday- A machine but is given the ball too much or gets in the way IMO
4. Glenn- Future captain and just a gun

13- Gillet- THE BEST A MAN CAN GET
14- Hunt- Good out of dummy half and suprisingly good on defence.
15. Dodds- took some hit ups tonight good to see he will get there IMO
17- LUI - WOW I like the kid he could be anything realy impressive.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I love Sam, really I do, but I noticed something last week which I didn't mention because everyone was giving him wraps so I figured I'd seen wrong. Tonight Gus actually mentioned it though - he is getting in Locky's way.

People were saying that Locky was giving him hospital passes but I was more inclined to hold Thaiday responsible (maybe because of Locky's stellar record of putting players away down that side - Tunza anyone?). I figured he was either running the wrong lines or he wasn't meant to be there at all. Gus said he is rushing up too fast and not giving Lockyer enough time.

Regardless of who is responsible, the timing between them is way off. I hope they sort it out because they could be a very dangerous combination in weeks to come.

Huge kudos to Sam for his effort though, in both attack and defence. You certainly couldn't fault his attitude this year.

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
schmix said:
I love Sam, really I do, but I noticed something last week which I didn't mention because everyone was giving him wraps so I figured I'd seen wrong. Tonight Gus actually mentioned it though - he is getting in Locky's way.

People were saying that Locky was giving him hospital passes but I was more inclined to hold Thaiday responsible (maybe because of Locky's stellar record of putting players away down that side - Tunza anyone?). I figured he was either running the wrong lines or he wasn't meant to be there at all. Gus said he is rushing up too fast and not giving Lockyer enough time.

Regardless of who is responsible, the timing between them is way off. I hope they sort it out because they could be a very dangerous combination in weeks to come.

Huge kudos to Sam for his effort though, in both attack and defence. You certainly couldn't fault his attitude this year.

Yeah I noticed that too. It's always him and Locky, but sometimes Sammy's just way too close to the defensive line, so it just looks like a hospital pass.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, Sammy is a champion but he's too involved. Everytime we go out his way, he tries to do everything and that leaves out the players outside of him.

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Great effort but not good enough. We can butter the boys up and say average age of 21 etc etc but at the end of the day the game was there in the early part of the second half and even the end of the first half and we could not capitalise on our field position and score and / or let them in for soft tries. For me the disappointing effort was from our 2 senior players in the key positions of 6 and 7. Neither stood up and tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck, and the kicking game was terrible outting pressure on the young fellows.

Sammy T is trying so hard he is doing too much and needs support from other senior players. Thought Setu went well without being outstanding, loving the efforts of Gillett and Macca. Great to see the Hoff back and would like to see him stay around in preference to Beale and Copely when Winters and Yowie return, maybe try in the centres.

Not much else to say yeah solid effort but that is 4 in a row now and we need to get back in the winners circle next week at home or we can kiss the season goodbye already.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
I'd love to see Sam hit and spin and offload to locky tailing behind him. There was at least 2-3 times that if Sam had of done that we would of been a good chance to score. Sam was all over Creagh which ment Cooper had to jam in and help him out. Sam offloads to Locky and we in with a good chance to score. I thought Locky and Wallace passes were spot on tonight. If we had Folau and Hodges running onto them it would of been a different story!!
I got to say LUI was awsome awsome awsome!!! His hit on Weyman was awsome. All in all i think the season is starting to look a bit brighter.........still a lot of improvement though

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
Russo said:
Great effort but not good enough. We can butter the boys up and say average age of 21 etc etc but at the end of the day the game was there in the early part of the second half and even the end of the first half and we could not capitalise on our field position and score and / or let them in for soft tries. For me the disappointing effort was from our 2 senior players in the key positions of 6 and 7. Neither stood up and tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck, and the kicking game was terrible outting pressure on the young fellows.

Sammy T is trying so hard he is doing too much and needs support from other senior players. Thought Setu went well without being outstanding, loving the efforts of Gillett and Macca. Great to see the Hoff back and would like to see him stay around in preference to Beale and Copely when Winters and Yowie return, maybe try in the centres.

Not much else to say yeah solid effort but that is 4 in a row now and we need to get back in the winners circle next week at home or we can kiss the season goodbye already.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
Russo said:

I must of watched a different game to you. Locky and Wallace played %100 times better tonight. Got more repeat sets then the Dragons so that suggest to me that our short kicking game wasnt bad at all. Our long kicking game wasnt good and can improve. I think everyone is used to seeing Carroll 300+ games, Hodges 200+ games, k Hunt 150+ games running into holes and scoring off locky's short balls, instead we have guys who havent even got 10 combined 1st grade games running around in the backs and two of them are fowards though Gillet and Glen played well. Just give them a chance. I honestly cant fault anybody's effort though i think our right side defence let us down, though add hodges and Yow Yeh is would of been a different story!!!

does anyone know what Hoffmans passing game is like? He reminds me of Matty Bowen but bigger. Very happy with his game tonight. Maybe a shot at fullback isnt to far away

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Much improved effort tonight, played with a lot more patience... got good numbers in tackles and peeled away well for about 25mins and then got a bit patchy...

Lockyer had a good game, hes still got guys overrunning the play and killing it...

Our long kicking game is no where near good enough, the ball just isn't finding the grass atm...

Gotta get more disciplined, stop conceding soft penalties that are killing all momentum... although some of the penalties tonight were very harsh...

Sims, Thaiday and Gillett were stong, and Lui showed some strength in his legs with some good runs making good meters... Anderson is not giving enough atm and should be on the bench next week...

It was great to see Setu taking some responsibility as a senior player, in the sheds at half time he was enthusiastic and it looked like he had taken Lui under his wing...

Dragons scored a fair try in the first half with great timing, refs clearly still have no clue about the obstruction rule...

Forgot to mention Glenn, he had a great game, particularly his 2nd half...

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
1. Corey Norman- Struggling with the lack of protection and options. Falou, Hodges, Yow Yeh and Winterstien will help his game. I think he has a massive future.
18. Hoffman- Good effort from him tonight, will still struggle to get a run with the full side on the park.
3. Copley- Liked what I saw, but needs more time to develop his skills, does have tallent.
2. Beale- Tries hard, but at this stage of his career is outgunned.
5. Rivett- Another Micheals I fear, can be good but his defensive play is not up to scratch.
6. Lockyer- By far his best game of the season, you have to remember what he had to work with.
7. Wallace- He was better tonight, although IMO lacks the X factor expected, dare I say required by a top line halfback.
8. SIms- Needs to have more of an impact. Getting really starting to get over him, he's just not producing the form he is capable of
9. McCullough- Hooker is a hard gig, he needs time, although I'd like him to develop a kicing game.
10. Anderson- Will get better, more solid than an enforcer or line breaker. Still think he was a good buy.
11. Setu- Frustrats me, he can be great and shocking all at once. Played well tonight, but more than likely to lose you a game than win you one.
12. Thaiday- One very poor mistake tonight, and just seems to be trying too hard. Was my MoM tonight, but I feel he should be more selective in his running.
4. Glenn- This guy does impress me, would thrive on better players around him.

13- Gillet- So far the find of the season, there is the odd mistake in him but bound for greater things. Again some quality stuff from him tonight.
14- Hunt- So far I havn't seen anything from Hunt that I havn't seen from Perry. Many people are saying he is a future replacement for Lockyer. I said last year he needs at least 2 years in the QLD Cup, nothing I've seen so far has made me change my mind.
15. Dodds- Tried hard, but like most of these guys just needs more experiance.
17- LUI - Nice first up game, like to see more of him

As I said during the game it really was a classic case of boys playing men. The Dragons are a quality outfit and I thought our effort tonight was better than I expected (result was never in doubt) but there are signs of improvement in many of these kids.

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010
Someone mentioned Hoffman instead of Norman for FB when our side it back up to scratch injury wise. I think he's right. Hoffman is very fast and seemed to read plays a lot better. Plus his defense was pretty damn good too. Glenn was awesome tonight. He's getting better every game.

Unread

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Griffo
  • heartly87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • phoenix
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Jedhead
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Redfern_1980
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • The Don
  • Morkel
  • Ejbroncos
  • theshed
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.