Broncos Vs. Dragons Spoilers & Post Match Discussion

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I disagree about Folau being wasted on the wing. Whenever the ball goes that way we look dangerous. Opposition teams all struggle against Hodges and Folau if they get quality ball. The only thing that let us down at the end was ball control and a lack of big forwards.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
The boys looked tired and except for the first 5 mins were never really in it. The better team won. For the Dragons, Soward, Scott, Sailor and Boyd were outstanding.

That "no-try" was a fkn terrible but typical Hayne decision but in the end I don't think it would have changed the result.

T

tryhard

NYC Player
Jan 24, 2009
Gotta love Dell. We were woeful tonight. Locky IMO was not even on the paddock for most of the game. He needed to take charge. Maybe Gould was right and Benny was in the heads of the older players. Hunt also didn't play anywhere near his standard/
Smart coach that Bennett.

Ghibli

Ghibli

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
Michaels' problem I think is that when he puts his outside run on, that even when he's running out of room he continues on his line. Winterstein can probably do him a few favours by cutting back against Steve's angle to draw at least 1 defender off Michaels.

Poor kicking game, we got dragged into their kinda game, where was the slick plays around the middle, where where the forwards passing between themselves?

I think McCullough is better coming off the bench when the opposition is tired, he was throwing dummies too much when the markers weren't that tired...

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
Alec said:
I disagree about Folau being wasted on the wing. Whenever the ball goes that way we look dangerous. Opposition teams all struggle against Hodges and Folau if they get quality ball. The only thing that let us down at the end was ball control and a lack of big forwards.

We looked dangerous cos Hodges played so well, everyting Folau did could have been done by Yow Yeh.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I can't really understand people singling out players to bag, the whole team was awful IMO. A really off night, especially in defence and handling.

I guess it can only get better from here.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Terrible selections from Henjak, our bench was too light and it showed against a brutal Dragons pack. I do not understand the logic in picking Gorrell and De Vere on the bench together we were way too small, guys like Clinton, Thaiday, Kenny, Taylor were outgunned tonight we needed at least one more big guy on the bench if not two. De Vere was ordinary too he surrended continually in tackles and made a bad miss for I think Wendell's try, I don't get it he wouldn't make the first grade team anywhere else he is there purely on senitment.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
That was absolutely horrible. What the hell happened to the quick passing, quick defence and good kicking game?

Did they even want to play tonight. Oh, and for all the posters who thought DeVere deserved to play. I hope tonight proves a point. The one thing he did was give a penalty away. Also nice to see that he's learnt to hit the ball up, instead of dropping to his knees......

Pathetic. They should be ashamed.

J

Jazza

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Disappointing performance, but if it brings them back to earth then I'm not too unhappy with it. Areas for improvement:
* Bench - McCullough/Gorrell and Glenn are not big guys. If they're both going to be there then the other two really need to be forwards
* Pressure on the kicking game. As highlighted by Gould, Soward had a lifetime to put up the bomb for his own try and it was the same for most of his other kicks. I don't know if they are scared of the new interpretation of pressuring the kicker or they were just tired
* Handling - it was a wet night and the dragons were guilty of errors too, but we weren't able to get much good field position due to errors
* Kicking game - it was terrible tonight, often finding the dragons back three on the full or dribbling 10-20m along the ground. The dragons wingers were dropping back early in the count, presenting the opportunity to run it but they still persisted with kicking on the fourth.

Anyway, hoping for a better performance next week. I don't think we got any injuries out of the game, which to be honest is probably the biggest plus to come from it.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I don't think the Dragons were as good as everyone is making out sure there defence was good and they did monster us all over the park but there attack was still wwoeful 3 of there tries were from dropped balls. Full credit to them for the win and I guess this was the wake up call the Broncos needed. We really needed another forward on the bench the selection of Devere was an absolute joke and if I ever met Henjak I will let him know it. At the end of the day the world is not over and we had an off night it is disappointing as we all wanted to beat the dragons but such is life.

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
gUt said:
And wtf is De Vere's role in the team? Back rower?

Yes, I was suprised by this as well. He was hardly effective and he showed why he left the NRL that many years ago. Just don't know why we would bother with him, when there are so many more better choices.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Dunno why Sims didn't make the bench I will never know, he is in form. Is he injured?

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
What's the bet drag queens will be flogged next week? I think we just saw their best performance of the season.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
This is why I wanted Sims instead of Te'o for this match. T'eo, Glenn and Latu is one light forward too many. And it's even worse when Latu actually becomes De Vere.

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
broncosil said:
What's the bet drag queens will be flogged next week? I think we just saw their best performance of the season.

I thought they were pretty garbage really, bombed sooo many scoring opportunities.

F

fenomeno

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
They can say what they want about Teo', not being settled in yet or whatever, but he's pretty average to be honest, he's nothing in attack or defence, might do a half decent job but even an unfit Eastwood would have been a lot better then Teo'. Infact, Eastwood is a fantastic player even at a young age.

J

Jazza

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Beads6 said:
I don't think the Dragons were as good as everyone is making out sure there defence was good and they did monster us all over the park but there attack was still wwoeful 3 of there tries were from dropped balls. Full credit to them for the win and I guess this was the wake up call the Broncos needed. We really needed another forward on the bench the selection of Devere was an absolute joke and if I ever met Henjak I will let him know it. At the end of the day the world is not over and we had an off night it is disappointing as we all wanted to beat the dragons but such is life.

They did make quite a few line breaks though. Beau Scott was very strong for them on the right. I think it was 5 line breaks for the dragons at half time. I think Boyd possibly broke more tackles tonight than he did in his entire time at the broncos. IMO they have one of the strongest packs in the competition and with Bennett at the helm you'd have to think they'll be there at the business end of the season.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.