Broncos Vs. Penrith Match Thread

Brad said:
sounded like a solid game from the broncos, 2 bad chan9 suck, i was planning to watch it today [icon_non and an injury allready?! [eusa_doh

doubt it's channel 9's fault, probably jsut a change in the stipulation of their contract with the NRL. NRL didn't have to accept it.....

Such a great match, it was awesome to see 2 attacking options either side of the field, and too see our forwards using some ball playing ability icon_thumbs_u

Aside from the injury(s), I guess we couldn't have asked for a better start to the season! Let's hope it continues next week against the Chooks. Congrats to the guys! _woohoo_ I'll have to catch the highlights on the news!
Also great to read such positive reviews about Wallace.

Dude that was awesome.

It was just cramping towards the end wasn't it? K seemed to be suffering pretty bad. Was so happy to see him pick up MOM to, although it probly could have gone to a number of them.

Well done to Wallace, we finally have a great quality halfback, he was brilliant today. Lockyer was awesome too, anyone would think he hasn't been injured! Straight back into blitzing form, passing game was absolutely sublime, and his kicking was all class too.
When Clinton was on the field I wasn't overly impressed I have to admit. I understand he didn't have much of a chance to prove himself with the injury but he just seemed a bit shaky I suppose. Maybe lack of confidence? eusa_think I suppose we'll have plenty of time to see how he goes later this season. In the meantime, lets bring back Taylor.

And big wraps on Boyd [eusa_clap.gi He really stepped it up a notch today. Well done mate :D

Loving the welcome back gift for Civo off Hannant [icon_evillaugh First hitup of the game and Hannant upended him :mrgreen:

Wow. People in this thread are really bad when it comes to using 'too'.

Was very impressed, is a great way to start the season, will certainly help with confidence before we start moving into some of the professional teams in the league this year.

Was extrememly impressed with Wallace, if he can keep his form over the next few weeks, and continue playing like he did today, I think we may have found our new fulltime halfback, about time too.

His performance showed the difference a good halfback can make, no pressure on Lockyer, and he was able to do what he does best with roaming, finding oppotunity. Very solid in both defence and attack. Very impressive for someone who was in doubt just a month ago. Great to have him back.

Was a little worried about Boyd on the wing after some shockers last year, but full respect for him. He played a marvellous game, and has done a lot of work on his game over the off season, which was great to see.

Reece Robinson couldn't really show what he was made of, he didn't get much use of the ball, but I think from what I saw today, I'd leave him in the team.

Was Clinton injured? Something wrong. Wasn't happy with his two knock-on's, although the second one was from a terrible pass, probably not for him, still a silly error. And an offside which really just angered me. When he went off, I was glad to see him off, he really didn't do much, which was far less than I expected. If he is injured, hope he's ok.

Parker was brilliant, 10/10 was it? That's amazing for any kicker. Carroll was awesome as usual, some big hits, looking after Lockyer very well, and just doing what he does best.

All the other guys also did really well, nothing really jumps out, but anyone who thinks that Bennett leaving will change the team has certainly forgotten to tell the Broncos.

Congrats to the boys, the game should show the other teams that we arn't here to muck around.

Bring on the Roosters! [icon_evillaugh

The Rock said:
A bit harsh on Clinton. Sure, he made a few silly mistakes but I thought he ran the ball quite strong and showed plenty of ticker while he was on there.

I was waiting for that [icon_lol1.

I did say he wasn't on the field for long so he didn't really have an opportunity to show us the goods. I guess I was just expecting a bit more from him today is all. I'm sure we'll see the best of him when he comes back.

The Rock said:
Lockyer absolutely dominated. He was in absolutely everything right until the end. In fact, if his passed wasn't intercepted, Hunt had a free run to the try line. As soon as Lockyer came on everything looked organised and structured and we looked dangerous on every single attacking raid. Lockyer was MOTM IMO.

I agree. Also, Hunt dropped a sitter from Lockyer with a free run to the line not long after.

Another thing I was impressed with was how the team capitalised on the Panther's mistakes. We literally converted their errors into points on a couple of occasions which is something we haven't been able to do in the past.

Ashton Sims put on a few good tackles especially towards the end, we could hear the crunch from 20 rows back!
I thought Sammy Thaiday had a great game as well - 173 metres gained!

Oh... i think Hodges could have used his wingers a bit more, there were a couple of times there where i think he def should of used them.

Was also cool to see Mick's flag, although it was the wrong way round at times haha...

Fantastic start to the season - shame about the inury to Clinton but we look to have the depth to cover him. I was very impressed with all the new boys - Wallace was very good and Simms was awesome I thought - he ran and hit hard and just looked really enthusiastic the whole time he was on the field. I was also very impressed with Eastwood today - he was very busy, ran the ball hard and showed some good footwork in the middle of the ruck. Maybe he is destined to wear the 8 or the 10?

The most impressive part of the game for me today was the first 10 minutes of the second half - we had a tiny pack on the field - I think it was Eastwood, Parker, Thaiday, Stagg, Marsh and Carroll but we made great ground every set of 6 and muscled up in defence to limit the ground Penrith made. Once we got our big boys back on the field we had the momentum and just went on with it.

Locky and K were fabulous today - Locky looks awesome, moving as well as ever and just took control of the game when he came on. Michaels and Boyd look confortable playing on the same side of the field which is great - we need to have dangerous options on both sides. Our pack belted Penrith in defence and even though we copped plenty of big hits from them, kept coming in attack as well.

Great start to the season - hope we can continue! [eusa_clap.gi icon_thumbs_u [eusa_clap.gi icon_thumbs_u

Good solid performance and the new guys especially Sims and Wallace had very good games.

Thaiday and Lockyer were my standouts.

Wallace showed that he will take the pressure off Locky.

Marsh did some good things and his rotation with Ennis (when back) will be dynamic.

Bring on the Rooters!

1. Hunt - Typical from him solid as a rock and injected himself where he needed to. 7.5
2. Robinson - Solid but the ball didn't come his way too much. 6
3. Michaels - Had some good moments and solid in defence. 7
4. Hodges - Excellent, a constant menace and sound defensively. 8.5
5. Boyd - Had a quiet time of it besides the 3 tries, did nothing wrong and did well out of in goal once too. 7.5
6. Lockyer - Good move to keep him out of the early exchange looked fresher than expected, hopeless in defense but that's not his job. 8
7. Wallace - Solid and took control well in the ealry stages without Lockyer there then gave him the ball as needed, sound defence. 7.5
8. Hannant - Solid game took some big shots and gave some out, good to see him using the ball well today. 7
9. PJ Marsh - Excellent today. Service was great and created headaches by moving forward and keeping the momentum. 8.5
10. Clinton - Couple of errors, pity he didn't get time to make up for them due to injury. 5
11. Parker - Kicking aside he was very busy. More aggresive in defense and attack and looks to still be improving. 8
12. Sims - Excellent debut. Ran it up with gusto and defended very strongly, also showed some good ball playing skills. 9 (My MOTM)
13. Carroll - Solid today. Strong in defense and injected himself well at times in attack, could have been more involved. 7
Bench
14. Thaiday - Good today. Ran it hard, fast and straight and hit hard in defense, hopefully a sign ofthings to come. 7
15. Eastwood - Good. Used as a battering ram and comstantly looked for the 2nd phase, was busier than usual. 7
16. Stagg - Did his usual whilst on, tackled and tackled, ran hard and straighter and didn't get pushed back like he has before. 7
17. Perry - Didn't have time to make an impact but his passes hit the mark and defense was fine. 5.5

That was a great game! Although in the end, the boys got really tired and made some silly mistakes (so did the Panthers).

I thought Hannant, Locky, Hunt, Sims and Boys were great today! So were the rest of the boys. :D

How awesome was that hit by Sims?!?

It was good to see our forwards looking to pass the ball instead just the usual hit up.

I thought that our backs especially Hunt and Hodges jumping into dummy half in our own half, worked well as they made some good yards allowing quick play the balls.

Michaels was solid at centre at least he can draw and pass.

Fantastic start to the season for us. Great to see Locky running as freely as ever and still as dominant as he was pre-knee injury. Hunt and Hodges really appreciated his presence and it showed in their performances. The outside backs were good as well particularly the Michaels/Boyd combination. Great to see Darius proving the doubters wrong with a hat-trick and a great all-round performance icon_thumbs_u

Up front Ashton Sims was fantastic. Good to see Eastwood getting more involved as well, looks a bit fitter too! Still got a little bit to lose but was able to do some hard work for most of the game today which eas really pleasing to see.

Thaiday had a shit first half but recovered well in the second.

Overall a great start to the season, and bring on the Chooks!!!

I thought it was a great team effort, everyone played well. [eusa_clap.gi

Intersting to see Eastwood used a prop forward though. He's probably not going to get any lighter, so perhaps it's the way to go for him. He can still use his footwork and offload to great effect up the middle.

The backline seems to have plenty of speed and the combination between Boyd and Michaels looks to be very promising. Marsh and Wallace also looked to be right at home.

However it'll be a big test next week. The Roosters' pack is pretty strong.

Corey Parker is injured too. He is rumoured to be out for 2 weeks.. We can't afford to be losing our key players this season.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • ell.d33
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Splinter
  • Fitzy
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Locky field goal
  • Manofoneway
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.