Broncos Vs. Penrith Match Thread

Russo's Rap on the game

Well what a very impressive start to season 2008 was that. From Mick's new flag to the hot pink cheergirls (who still have nothing in the looks department compared to the Titanette's mind you), to the new LCD advertising hordings, to a security guy infront of us with a personality, it looks like being a good season.

And then to on the field. I thought starting Locky on the bench was a smart move be WB to ease him into the game although apart from a big hit here or there it wasn't what you'd call a damaging first 20 minutes. Was very impressed with three of the new boys in Wally, PJ and particularly Ashton Sims. Sims hit hard, tackled well and hit the ball up often and I like what I see and look forward to seeing plenty more of him in 2008. Where's Wally, well we found him today and he is a halfback _woohoo_ . Having Locky not available in the off season was probably a blessing in disguise because he wasn't stiffled at all in the trials and got to call the shots, he took this over into his game today and is a big talker and often overcalled Locky, something that we need in a half, but on saying that it is only one game so far. And then to PJ at hooker, might not stand out to many but his organisation at dummy half was second to none and this was noticeable when he went off and Perry came on and we dropped back a gear IMHO. The other 2 new boys in Robinson (not a lot of chance playing outside Hodges) and Joel 'Monica' Clinton who had the drops to start then got injuries, the jury is still out.

As for the old regulars (and I don't mean in age accept TC and Locky) Hunt was solid but not sure how he got the ground MotM, well done Darius 3 tries showing the doubters what you can offer the side but keep up the effort or they will be back on you in a flash, Michaels at centre is where he belongs and will form a great partnership with Boyd, Hodges quite for mine but showed those flashes of brilliance when needed.
Locky, what new reconstruction, he's even walking less bow legged, the refresh will do him wonders and he looked to enjoy the 20 minute injection into the game and the pressure taken off him by Wally and PJ, will get better and that is great for us but scary for oppositions.

The forwards impressed, TC starting off where we expect him hitting hard and often, Staggy looked good for mine and will improve with game time. Corey went great and has really matured as a regular starter and congrats on the record and hopefully the injury is not bad. Hannant is a machine no doubt about it, Sammy T had the best game I have seen from him for nearly 9 months, still needs to work on some little errors (ball control) but I expect a big year for him. And then to Eastwood. There is a farmer somehwere in NZ who was watching the game today that will now be resting easy and that sheep he lost in the off season he now knows where it went.....Greg ate it. The boy looks bigger but on saying that he seems 10 times fitter and for mine I was very impressed.

All up a great performance but it will be game on against the Rooters as Penriff really had nothing.

A few quick comments and many have been said above by other posters, as Matt said the enthusiasm today was a pleasure to see, a lot of the injuries near the end were cramps and it is something I have noticed we have issues with every year, particularly Hunt, and it needs to be addressed by the staff urgently. The crowd today was fabulous, something I often don't say about our crowds, but particularly after going to the Titans on Friday i now realise that our crowd go for the footy and are footy savvy not like the Titans who have no idea and just want to do waves for 10 minutes and have to be prompted by American crap chants by the announcer.

You want to know why I'm happy?

Not a single forward pass from dummy half.

I'll give half the credit to PJ and half to the rest of the pack for better timed runs. Thorn and Carlaw were notorious for these bad habits last year.

Russo/Mick/Coxy/BroncoMatt, do you think that this locky missing the first 20 is going to become a regular thing, or was it a once only deal?

pennywisealfie said:
Russo/Mick/Coxy/BroncoMatt, do you think that this locky missing the first 20 is going to become a regular thing, or was it a once only deal?

I think you might be onto something there Penny, yes it might happen more regularly against certain teams in particular.

What a great start to the season!

Congratulations to all the boys [eusa_clap.gi

Nice to see Russo and litte Russo's in the background of one of Parkers' kicks.

I just have to say it.. Congratulations Parker!! Excellent goal kicking, well done on breaking the record icon_thumbs_u

Also, what's the go with Thaiday's moe thing he has going on? Doesn't suit him at all [icon_lol1.

The ref wasn't too bad, I thought the penalties he has giving were pretty piss weak but if he they were consistant for both sides, I guess you can't really argue.

Panthers definately weren't up to scratch. That number 4, what ever his name is, is an absolute tosser. Pull your pants up you dirty mug :mad:

Hope everyone keeps up that standard for Friday night. I can't wait!!

| * kelsey * | said:

I just have to say it.. Congratulations Parker!! Excellent goal kicking, well done on breaking the record icon_thumbs_u

Also, what's the go with Thaiday's moe thing he has going on? Doesn't suit him at all [icon_lol1.

The ref wasn't too bad, I thought the penalties he has giving were pretty piss weak but if he they were consistant for both sides, I guess you can't really argue.

Panthers definately weren't up to scratch. That number 4, what ever his name is, is an absolute tosser. Pull your pants up you dirty mug :mad:

Where's the love for Darius' three tries? [icon_lol1.

Most has already been said:

Locky's comeback: sensational! He looked rusty when he first got on there, but the fact Wallace was still running the show meant he could ease himself back in and play accordingly. Absolute highest kudos for Wallace for that.

Wallace: as said, he ran the show with Marsh and that meant Locky and K could do what they're best at - chiming in when needed. I'm loving that balance.

Marsh: best hooker performance for the Broncos since the 2006 Grand Final and Shaun Berrigan. Let's hope he can keep that up!

Hannant: he's developing so well, and I LOVE that he's showing some confidence with the ball. Boyd's first try was in no small part due to Hannant's involvement in the play.

Boyd: 3 tries, a hand in Corey Parker's, and that brilliant get out of jail in the in goal (even though I was abusing him for running back in there in the first place! :lol:). He was never out of position, and his intercept could arguably have been the deciding factor in the game. Seems odd when it was 48-12...but at the time it was 16-6. He doesn't go for the intercept and it could be 16-12 at half time, but instead it's 22-6. MASSIVE play.

Parker: bit soft defensively, but can't fault his goalkicking.

Sims: nice to see his aggression and enthusiasm, but I think he needs to settle down a bit and be satisfied with a good hit, rather than a big hit.

Clinton: disappointing. A couple of handling errors and then injured. I think he needed game time so having another month off is frustrating.

Michaels: some good things in the centres, definitely his better position.

Perry: worthy contribution off the bench. His little dart from dummyhalf, dummy and then chip ahead showed some vision. OK, maybe he would've been better to hold it rather than kick, but at least he's showing signs of creativity.

All positive signs. I'm looking forward to Friday night's game against the Roosters. Even though I'll have to tape it and watch it later...going to Phantom of the Opera :oops:

Great start to the season icon_thumbs_u

Well done Corey [eusa_clap.gi

I can't wait for the game next week.

Meat77 said:
| * kelsey * | said:

Where's the love for Darius' three tries? [icon_lol1.

Damn it [icon_lol1.

Okay, okay..

Darius is definately stepping upto the plate. Please continue to prove me wrong!

I still hate him

| * kelsey * | said:
Damn it [icon_lol1.

Okay, okay..

Darius is definately stepping upto the plate. Please continue to prove me wrong!

I still hate him

See - that wasn't too hard now was it? [icon_lol1.

Meat77 said:
| * kelsey * | said:
Damn it [icon_lol1.

Okay, okay..

I still hate him

See - that wasn't too hard now was it? [icon_lol1.

You have no idea...

Finally, his running sideways actually got the Broncos OUT of trouble!

Great start to the season. Good to actually see u win the first game. [icon_lol1.

I thought the new guys all had pretty good games, and i think they're only going to get better as they get more games under their belts. Shame about clintons injury though.

Well done to Boyd on the 3 tries. Keep it up and you might be resigned.

Fantastic win! I don't think there's much more to say because everyone's said it. Just can't wait for Easter Friday's game against the Roosters! Should be a cracker with a bumper crowd!

Russo said:
And then to Eastwood. There is a farmer somehwere in NZ who was watching the game today that will now be resting easy and that sheep he lost in the off season he now knows where it went.....Greg ate it. The boy looks bigger but on saying that he seems 10 times fitter and for mine I was very impressed.

You reckon mate?? I reckon he looks a lot more trim than he did last season, bit more muscle there as well. Seemed to have no problem keeping up with the play so if he keeps up the work he must've done in the offseason he'll be sweet as I reckon.

Unread

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Porthoz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.