Broncos withdraw their two year offer to Greg Inglis

Kaz said:
Schubert's probe follows a letter from a South Sydney fan who has demanded the NRL provide an explanation of how the club can afford to fit one of the world's best forwards, Sam Burgess, Kiwi hooker Issac Luke, Bronco recruit David Taylor and Inglis inside the cap.

Anyone here send the letter & pretend to be a Souths fan. [icon_lol1.

Certainly not!

Signed
GP of Redfern

It's funny reading what others have to say on the matter, they believe if Souths can't afford him then how were the Broncos able to afford all those teams in the past. Will their whining ever cease?

I got a few SMS's about how can the Broncos contract be accepted & Souths not.

My reply was, because Inglis never signed the Broncos contract & it wasn't sent to the NRL.

People have extremely short memories.

If you went on what was told the Broncos had about 500K to spend last year after Hunt and Clinton walked and Anderson and Kemp are signed.

We lose Marsh, Folau, Sims, Winterstein and Setu (800K there) and the salary cap is increased by 300K ($1 100 000) and sign Tronc (QRL type salary), Hannant (350K) and re-sign a host of players (x).

Let's do the math.

To spend:
1 100 000
+ 500 000
= 1 600 000

Spent
50 000
+350 000
= 400 000

Now would you say x = $1 200 000?

Honestly, I doubt we spent more than 700K on x.

Also I have no idea how Souths are able to offer more money than the Broncos. I really don't.

You have idea how they can afford it, purely because you have no idea the wages any player is in, if that wage is made up of cap exempt items, or if what's reported in the media is actually real.

Speculation on salaries is ridiculous.

You're right.

Really, the Broncos deal doesn't look that shady, especially compared to Souths but nobody is going to believe you especially after the Storm scandal.

Kaz said:
I got a few SMS's about how can the Broncos contract be accepted & Souths not.

My reply was, because Inglis never signed the Broncos contract & it wasn't sent to the NRL.

That's exactly right Kaz - we have no idea if the NRL would have accepted any contract the Broncos lodged for Inglis. However as Big Pete points out it seems more likely to have been accepted as Cullen always stated we had room under the cap and that was before several players left; whereas Richardson was always adamant that Souths had zero space under their cap to sign anyone (let alone one of the games highest paid players) - that in itself requires the eventual deal to come under very close scrutiny IMO

Not to mention people are forgetting how much BS we got when we signed Inglis.

When we announced it everybody and their dog was complaining.

When Souths did it, it was a great thing for the game...and now that they're being questioned it's a News Limited conspiracy...

THE NRL accreditation of Greg Inglis's manager Allan Gainey is set to be challenged amid increased scrutiny over the handling of his star client's continuing contract soap opera.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5965425388

Interestingly Gainey is currently "on holidays" and Wayne Beavis is currently handling Inglis' dealings in his abscence. I mean come on - if you were the manager of the player involved in the most high profile current signing situtation would you really be so on holidays as to be completely uncontactable and unable to be invovled?

Flutterby said:
THE NRL accreditation of Greg Inglis's manager Allan Gainey is set to be challenged amid increased scrutiny over the handling of his star client's continuing contract soap opera.

Interestingly Gainey is currently "on holidays" and Wayne Beavis is currently handling Inglis' dealings in his abscence. I mean come on - if you were the manager of the player involved in the most high profile current signing situtation would you really be so on holidays as to be completely uncontactable and unable to be invovled?

maybe "holidays" is code for some sort of personal or family matter that gainey doesn't want plastered all over the media.

kluppy said:
Flutterby said:

maybe "holidays" is code for some sort of personal or family matter that gainey doesn't want plastered all over the media.

I think it's code for "oh **** I'm so getting busted for fraud, I'm leaving town".

If I become Prime Minister, player managers will be the first thing to go.

Jeba said:
If I become Prime Minister, Melbourne Storm will be first to go closely followed by player managers .

Any truth to the rumour that GI yesterday told Sally that he loved her and was committed to the relationship but had to fly to Sydney to pick up his suit. Now unable to fly back because it's raining and the planes aren't flying. Unconfirmed reports have him talking to Lara Bingle (at Camp Mundine)... [icon_lol1.

Have now heard that if their deal with Inglis doesn't go through Souths are going to take the NRL to court over the very existence of the Salary Cap.

Flutterby said:
Have now heard that if their deal with Inglis doesn't go through Souths are going to take the NRL to court over the very existence of the Salary Cap.
If they do that, I hope the NRL tells them "...well go and play in a competition that doesn't have a salary cap."

From what I understand if they do, they would win. Legally the salary cap is a restraint of trade - it only continues to exist because the clubs and the RLPA agree to have it, once one or more of them decide to challenge it in the courts it's basically dead and buried. It's the main reason we don't have a player draft - the RLPA don't agree to a draft and would have it thrown out in the courts.

Unread

Active Now

• lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
  • Skyblues87
  • broncoscope
  • Hurrijo
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.