Broncos won't sign Star talent

You can't win a premiership every year.

Most clubs have not enjoyed the success of the Broncos at any period of their lives, let alone in the first 25 years of inception.

Our window closed when Lockyer retired. Simple as that.

Broncos fans and management need to readjust their expectations and strategy accordingly.

But that shouldn't be a reason to lose hope.

We should only lose hope when each week, each month and each year we cannot see progression towards something better.

At the moment, we are not improving week to week and we have not improved since July 2012.

Not my normal style to go about things, but pay the big money for Izzy for 1 year is not such a bad thing ... get Jack Wighton for 2015+ ... that guy is gonna be a gun

Oink !

Not my normal style to go about things, but pay the big money for Izzy for 1 year is not such a bad thing ... get Jack Wighton for 2015+ ... that guy is gonna be a gun

Oink !

So you don't like Kelly because his 'greedy' but are happy to have falou pull on our jersey again, a man that would have to be one of the greediest sons of a running around?!?

Yeah ok.

Look if you are gonna say silly things like that ... I can't help you long term

you are comparing apples and oranges ... Izzy can be close to the best outside back in the league ... nobody on the market compares ... and its a 1 year deal at a time when we seemingly have craploads of cash to spend and nobody to spend it on

I also suggested who I would like to target ... and he is not available until 2015

Kahu and Wighton as your centres for 2015 ... now that is very appealing

Kelly should not even be in the conversation ... and has been discussed ... I think minimum wage is like $85k these days ... not much more than that is too much imho

Oink !

Last edited:
Look if you are gonna say silly things like that ... I can't help you long term

you are comparing apples and oranges ... Izzy can be close to the best outside back in the league ... nobody on the market compares ... and its a 1 year deal at a time when we seemingly have craploads of cash to spend and nobody to spend it on

I also suggested who I would like to target ... and he is not available until 2015

Kahu and Wighton as your centres for 2015 ... now that is very appealing

Kelly should not even be in the conversation ... and has been discussed ... I think minimum wage is like $85k these days ... not much more than that is too much imho

Oink !

I know you think your opinion is the only opinion, but IMO the broncos need some X factor and that's what Kelly would provide. And we wouldn't have to offload multiple players to sign him just so he can **** off to fumble ball two years later like falou did.

Queensland Under 18 team
1. Valentine Holmes (Cronulla Sharks)
2. Paul Byrnes (Brisbane Broncos)
3. Ellery Tusa (Melbourne Storm)
4. Shaun Hudson (Gold Coast Titans)
5. Elijah Alick (Brisbane Broncos)
6. Jayden Nikorima (Brisbane Broncos/Norths Devils)
7. Duncan Paia’Aua (Brisbane Broncos)
8. Luke Bateman (Canberra Raiders)
9. Jayden Berrell (Brisbane Broncos)
10. Joseph Ofahengaue (Brisbane Broncos)
11. Alex Barr (Easts Tigers)
12. Richard Skelton (Redcliffe Dolphins)
13. Jai Arrow (Brisbane Broncos)
Interchange:
14. Chris Ostwald (Brisbane Broncos/Norths Devils)
15. Harry Pondekas (Brisbane Broncos/ Norths Devils)
16. Kieran Quabba (North Queensland Cowboys)
17. Andrew Niemoeller (North Queensland Cowboys)

Geez we have a crap talent identification and recruitment team. :001_rolleyes:

Definitely a good sign albeit I don't think that Maroons side is a true reflection of our talent but rather the lack of Queensland talent.

Couple of those Broncos are being selected ahead of time and will be able to back up next year. I'm surprised to see Nikorima listed. Word was that his older brother had opted to represent the Kiwis so I would have thought his little bro would have opted to join in.

Maybe the junior recruitment hasn't been the major problem but how we develop them. Pretty clear we haven't developed our young halves well. Lets hope we learn from this when we bring the likes of Taylor and Nikorima through the ranks.

Maybe the junior recruitment hasn't been the major problem but how we develop them. Pretty clear we haven't developed our young halves well. Lets hope we learn from this when we bring the likes of Taylor and Nikorima through the ranks.

^^^ This!

I mean that Broncos 2008 NYC team was awesome...but it's fair to say none of the players in that team have developed terribly strongly. Glenn probably the pick but it seems he's stagnating.

We've certainly had trouble in recent years converting promising kids with potential into genuine first grade and origin stars.

As for the Under 18 team...let's wait and see how they perform, huh?

^^^ This!

I mean that Broncos 2008 NYC team was awesome...but it's fair to say none of the players in that team have developed terribly strongly. Glenn probably the pick but it seems he's stagnating.

We've certainly had trouble in recent years converting promising kids with potential into genuine first grade and origin stars.

As for the Under 18 team...let's wait and see how they perform, huh?

Yow Yeh was hardly stagnating before his horrific injury.

I think the problem with this is the way junior rugby league and even to an extent, Under 20s is played.

It's all about big powerful or small and quick polynesian kids and hardly ever about a slick passing game, learning to build pressure, kicking for territory, choosing your moments, leading the other players around you, having that burning competitive streak.

The stand out halves in juniors have moments of individual brilliance to step around slower players or use their speed and size.

Someone like James Maloney or Cameron Smith wouldn't have looked anything special in juniors but Sean Johnson and Corey Norman would have, for example.

You can build a premiership team around Smith or Maloney but not Johnson or Norman.

Last edited:
I think the problem with this is the way junior rugby league and even to an extent, Under 20s is played.

It's all about big powerful or small and quick polynesian kids and hardly ever about a slick passing game, learning to build pressure, kicking for territory, choosing your moments, leading the other players around you, having that burning competitive streak.

The stand out halves in juniors have moments of individual brilliance to step around slower players or use their speed and size.

Someone like James Maloney or Cameron Smith wouldn't have looked anything special in juniors but Sean Johnson and Corey Norman would have, for example.

You can build a premiership team around Smith or Maloney but not Johnson or Norman.

Well...maybe not Maloney...

The latter. He's a great ball runner, who loves second phase play. He's obviously valuable, but I wouldn't think you can actually build a team around him.

The latter. He's a great ball runner, who loves second phase play. He's obviously valuable, but I wouldn't think you can actually build a team around him.

I'd like to see us try.

Agreed. He's the sort that can take advantage of the good work by others, but without a good team around them they're useless. Like Widdop will be next year.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • bert_lifts
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Battler
  • lynx000
  • Hurrijo
  • Allo
  • rnabokov
  • Galco
  • Spoon
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • pennywisealfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Johnny92
  • Broncorob
  • achievedrap
  • Skathen
  • cento
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.