OFFICIAL Burgess signs with Souths

What would they be paying him to make it alright?

For that, you need to thoroughly comb through the third party deals, like they did with Inglis. Find out which of them are in all likelihood dependent on him playing for Souths. Like a local car dealership that they tried to push through. It's not an exact science, but can give a good indication of the true cost to play for a team (and not just play in a code). For Inglis it was found that of the $650k for Inglis' first contract with them (inc 3rd party), $590k was deemed to be included in the cap. As opposed to the $190k they tried to register. Say what you want, the club has form.

What would they be paying him to make it alright?

I my opinion he should be at least 750k.

If the NRL are saying Sam Burgess' market value is 500k then someone like Teo shouldn't be anymore than 300k, so should we expect to see him lining up for us next season?

I my opinion he should be at least 750k.

If the NRL are saying Sam Burgess' market value is 500k then someone like Teo shouldn't be anymore than 300k, so should we expect to see him lining up for us next season?

He's contracted, so I'm not sure.

It's win win win for the NRL, they're not going to do anything about it. One, they get Burgess back in the NRL. Two, it benefits one of their darling Sydney clubs. And three, they don't have to break in to their "war chest" and therefore have to answer questions of inequality.

SOUTH Sydney have reportedly paid Bath a transfer fee of more than $1.5 million just to get Sam Burgess back on Australian shores.His salary is expected to match that, making him the highest paid player in the NRL by some margin, although Rabbitohs CEO John Lee wasn’t willing to confirm the $1.5 million a year figure that’s been floating around when asked about it by Fox Sports News.
“Lots of people have been throwing around different numbers,” Lee said.
“It’s fair to say when you’re talking about one of the top five players in the game that you have to pay a fair value and fair price and that’s what we’ve done.”

They do. He wasn't in the game though, so the argument can be excluded.

Don't you remember Burgess playing in last years Grand Final and winning the Clive Churchill Medal?

Don't you remember Burgess playing in last years Grand Final and winning the Clive Churchill Medal?

Yes. You've read my post incorrectly, I'm saying it can be excluded due to him not being in the game for the past year, not the GF.

Not saying this is the reality, but I wouldn't knock back Burgess, SBW or Folau because they opted to sign for $500K and not $900K. Sometimes, the code is bigger than the interests of the clubs.

What I would like to see the NRL do is help out other clubs. Titans and Knights can't complain, they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the NRL bailing them out. However, clubs like Penrith, Parramatta, Wests, Canberra etc who develop players should be shown more love for their part in making this game what it is. Help them out, even up the playing field and let's play some footy.

Rumour on the street is Cronulla offered Burgess considerably more than Souths but one of the head honchos with a strong connection to Souths made this Burgess thing happen. A lot of nrl clubs not happy about it apparently. I'm just reporting what I've read.

Rumour on the street is Cronulla offered Burgess considerably more than Souths but one of the head honchos with a strong connection to Souths made this Burgess thing happen. A lot of nrl clubs not happy about it apparently. I'm just reporting what I've read.

We'd have to be careful to not judge market value by what one club is willing to offer. That's Ricky Stuart. Multiple clubs even. It is entirely possible that Burgess is satisfied with $500k to play for Souths. But I'm always sceptical when the third party deals dramatically outnumber the cost under the cap. Like, was Inglis genuinely happy to be paid only $190k???

How are the Sharks even in the market?

You can't send them all to France, somebody has to actually want them.

Rothfield reporting that Dylan Walker and Chris Grevsmuhl have already signed deals with Manly and Penrith respectively for 2017 (getting in super early).

Let the fallout continue.

You can see it already. Next season will be all about the return of burgess. Channel 9 are already scripting it all. Rabbitohs will be favourites for the grand final now. Sickening.

You can see it already. Next season will be all about the return of burgess. Channel 9 are already scripting it all. Rabbitohs will be favourites for the grand final now. Sickening.

Wonder if they'll have his sideline thoughts like they did with SBW.

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • I bleed Maroon
  • HarryAllan7
  • Alec
  • armchair
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • jarro65
  • Bucking Beads
  • NSW stables
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • sooticus
  • Waynesaurus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  • TimWhatley
  • porouian
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.