OFFICIAL Burgess signs with Souths

Re: Pom Flees from Bath - Sam Burgess signs 3 year deal with South Sydney

His body has had a rest, meaning the physical demand on his body has been less, and his body has adapted to that.

You guys are mental if you think he should be paid MORE for being out of the game for a season. Think you need to take your Broncos glasses off, boys.

His body has had a rest, meaning the physical demand on his body has been less, and his body has adapted to that.

You guys are mental if you think he should be paid MORE for being out of the game for a season. Think you need to take your Broncos glasses off, boys.

Maybe im not being clear. If burgess had signed a new contract for 500k after 2014, after the premiership, after he had become arguably the best forward in the game; I would have no issue with him coming back for the same amount.

My issue is that is not case, his 500k contract was the contract he was on before all of that. And IMO that's not fair and that isn't my 'Broncos glasses', you obviously disagree.

But you don't know if it was going to go up or not. A contract that wasn't signed shouldn't ever come into play, because then the NRL have to guess his worth.

I think it's just petty whinging by league fans who are all upset that Souths made a killer signing and got it through.

That's crap. If that's what he was on when he left the game to go an play another sport, what justification do they have to pay him anything more?

The point isn't that he was on that when he left. He was on that because it had been negotiated years earlier, when Souths were still struggling to make the 8, he was injury prone, etc. Fast forward to 2014, he was a premiership winner and CC medalist (despite how farcical that was, it carries weight). One more year on, It's been proven that Souths can't compete at the top level without him. Even with Inglis who is on nearly twice Burgess' money. Yet he's still worth his 2012 price?

But you don't know if it was going to go up or not. A contract that wasn't signed shouldn't ever come into play, because then the NRL have to guess his worth.

I think it's just petty whinging by league fans who are all upset that Souths made a killer signing and got it through.

I'm not whinging because Souths can. I'm whinging because the NRL have decided that others (including us) can't.

I'm more accepting of b4l's explanation. Because to suggest Burgess was all they had that year is even crazier. Inglis was injured all year, so how he even comes into it is beyond me. You can hardly compare the two players.

Imagine if that's how the NRL worked. Nah, we think he would have been paid heaps more, and Souths sucked when he wasn't there and there were no other contributing factors like injuries or suspensions, no, he's to be signed on..... hmmm... lets run with $800k.... which we made up.

I'm more accepting of b4l's explanation. Because to suggest Burgess was all they had that year is even crazier. Inglis was injured all year, so how he even comes into it is beyond me. You can hardly compare the two players.

Imagine if that's how the NRL worked. Nah, we think he would have been paid heaps more, and Souths sucked when he wasn't there and there were no other contributing factors like injuries or suspensions, no, he's to be signed on..... hmmm... lets run with $800k.... which we made up.

Ask a Souths fan if they need Burgess.

The problem is that the NRL do do that, all the time. They did it with Folau by attaching market value to him based on his last contract even though he had been playing a game that had no correlation to league and required him to even change his body attributes etc. yet parra couldn't sign him for reduced market value.

My issue is that they set that precedent yet now because Souths want something they will allow one of the best forwards to waltz back into the game after a year playing a similar game for a market value that isn't fitting of a premiership winning, premier forward.

That's my issue and it has nothing to do with the Broncos.

It's a big gain for Souths but I'm really interested to see what difference losing Luke makes. Discounting his occasional brain explosions, he is the no.3 hooker in the game (IMO) or at least close to it.

Just let each club have one star player outside the cap. That way you get your Sam the Glam Burgess, Israel Folau the Money, Money Bill Williams and Ben Twomilliono to stay in the game and less salary cap bagging. If a Ricky Stuart would go and use that marque player option on a Dave Taylor, so be it, it would be his own fault but it would sure make our game more competitive in the market for the top end talent.

Should only apply for club juniors imo. There needs to be some reward to bringing juniors into FG.

The problem is that the NRL do do that, all the time. They did it with Folau by attaching market value to him based on his last contract even though he had been playing a game that had no correlation to league and required him to even change his body attributes etc. yet parra couldn't sign him for reduced market value.

My issue is that they set that precedent yet now because Souths want something they will allow one of the best forwards to waltz back into the game after a year playing a similar game for a market value that isn't fitting of a premiership winning, premier forward.

It's like the rorters signing Fergo for like 50k. I don't care how "troubled" he is, everyone and his dog knows that he's a quality player, and you can bet your bottom dollar that other clubs would have tried to sign him.

Last edited:
I was under the impression a players value increases as their skills and standing in the game improve.

Surely, the value of Burgess would increase after the 2014 GF..

Ask a Souths fan if they need Burgess.

Why? What a pointless excercise. What the fans think about a player should have no bearing on this decision.

What money were they talking in the Eels deal, and what was it compared to his previous contract?

I was under the impression a players value increases as their skills and standing in the game improve.

Surely, the value of Burgess would increase after the 2014 GF..

They do. He wasn't in the game though, so the argument can be excluded in this case.

What money were they talking in the Eels deal, and what was it compared to his previous contract?

I don't know the previous contract but the eels tried to get him for 250k under the cap for his first year. With the raises in the salary cap, plus 2 years playing AFL you could argue that that would have been fair seeing that the NSWRL are happy for Surgess to be on 500k.

TBH this is just going to go round and round. Broncos glasses or not I think most people can agree that 500k under the cap for Sam Burgess doesn't pass the smell test, but each to their own and it's not like the NSWRL give a ****.

Cue the "Lockyer was on $500k under the cap". Forgetting of course he had been loyal to the game and the club for many years. Rewarding a player who has skipped town for the glory of another code's trophy and a big payday is arse backwards IMO.

We should go after Folau then..

He was on 400k before he left. Fucking bargain.

Last edited:
I don't know the previous contract but the eels tried to get him for 250k under the cap for his first year. With the raises in the salary cap, plus 2 years playing AFL you could argue that that would have been fair seeing that the NSWRL are happy for Surgess to be on 500k.

TBH this is just going to go round and round. Broncos glasses or not I think most people can agree that 500k under the cap for Sam Burgess doesn't pass the smell test, but each to their own and it's not like the NSWRL give a ****.

It would probably be safe to assume he was on more than that when he left?

Cue the "Lockyer was on $500k under the cap". Forgetting of course he had been loyal to the game and the club for many years. Rewarding a player who has skipped town for the glory of another code's trophy and a big payday is arse backwards IMO.

Maybe it hadn't been bought up by anyone because they are aware of the above, and as captain of the Broncos in his time, there were plenty of third party arrangements available for him in Brisbane to bump his contract up.

It would probably be safe to assume he was on more than that when he left?

Yea safe to say and as SF said above apparently he was on 400k. So in the NRL's eyes it was unthinkable that the eels could have someone under the cap for 150k less (for one year) than what they were on when they left to play an entirely different game for 2 years. Yet are ok with the best forward in the game being on the same as he was before the premiership and a massive increase in his standing.

Seems legit.

What would they be paying him to make it alright?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Big Del
  • bb_gun
  • Shane Tronc
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • Aldo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Strop
  • Fatboy
  • Robboi_321
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.