NEWS Cameron Smith announces retirement

Worryingly similar to the 2020 Broncos.

Looked good for around half the game, but in the end, it was another in a long line of less than 80 minute performances.
Yeah was hoping smokin Joe had a positive spin on it.

It’s been obvious for a long time Smith is retiring or going to the Titans. He was never coming to Brisbane and especially not after last night.
I don't know about that , the 40 minute fade could be something he sees as fixable. Would play right into his God complex.

You're probably right, but I do see Smith with his nose in front of all of them regardless because for me Rugby League is about both attack and defence and he was a master at both, which almost no other player in the GOAT conversation can really claim.

You could argue that it isn't a Half's job to defend so it isn't relevant to their ability and not worth assessing them on, but in Smith's case he was not only the primary playmaker even at Dummy Half, he was also the core of their middle defence, in the process basically re-writing what it means to be an elite Dummy Half in the NRL and changing that role forever.

For me, the fact he's dominated the game in both these elements puts him just a little above even the likes of Wally, Locky, JT and Joey and probably does make him the greatest of all time.
Add his kicking game, game control, composure, leadership (perhaps the best leader of men I've seen on a football field), footy smarts, durability.... If I had to pick a one and only GOAT out of all those I've seen play, then Smith is it, and I've been watching for 40 odd years.

Last edited:
Yeah I see the point, but for me the fact that Locky dominated the game in 2 different positions is what puts him ahead of everyone else
I did actually consider the same thing too, but on balance I still have Smith in front and the reason is that whilst he only wore one jersey number, in practicality he acted as the chief Playmaker in attack and then in defence he played like a Middle Forward, so you could argue that he not only dominated two positions, he managed to do it at the same time.

Getting awfully close to the season now, has he announced his plan to play for the Titans yet?

Hope he really wants to play on, but everyone says **** off, you're being a dickhead.
Unfortunately we're pretty desperate and the Titans aren't much better, so I don't think this is likely.

Unfortunately we're pretty desperate and the Titans aren't much better, so I don't think this is likely.

If he goes to the Titans they become contenders, if he comes to us, we become respectable, that’s a pretty big difference.

If he goes to the Titans they become contenders, if he comes to us, we become respectable, that’s a pretty big difference.
I don't think he makes either side a serious contender. It probably all but guarantees them a Top 8 spot and at least makes us a much better chance at a Top 8 spot, but I don't think Smith alone makes either side a Premiership threat just yet.

I don't think he makes either side a serious contender. It probably all but guarantees them a Top 8 spot and at least makes us a much better chance at a Top 8 spot, but I don't think Smith alone makes either side a Premiership threat just yet.

The Titans have a gun fullback, decent halves, a strong forward pack and two weapons in the backline in Kelly and Sami, plus experience around them, with Smith they become contenders.

^^ Plus the NRL
The Titans have a gun fullback, decent halves, a strong forward pack and two weapons in the backline in Kelly and Sami, the NRL, plus experience around them, with Smith they become contenders.

Fixed.

I think Smith is probably open to playing on that's why he hasn't officially announced his retirement, its just that neither club have been able to find enough dollars to convince him to sign.

We've obviously been trying to to clear space in the offseason and held off re-signing guys to see if we could fudge something but still just don't have enough cap space take make it 'worthwhile' for him.

Last edited:
I think Smith is probably open to playing on that's why he hasn't officially announced his retirement, its just that neither club have been able to find enough dollars to convince him to sign.

We've obviously been trying to to clear space in the offseason and held off re-signing guys to see if we could fudge something but still just don't have enough cap space take make it 'worthwhile' for him.
I don't think so, he could earn around a million after 3rd party deals in Brisbane. I think he's retired & I don't understand why hes turned it into a sideshow.

I don't think so, he could earn around a million after 3rd party deals in Brisbane. I think he's retired & I don't understand why hes turned it into a sideshow.
Do you really not understand? He is one of the most ego driven guys to have ever played the game, he would be getting off on this.

The Titans have a gun fullback, decent halves, a strong forward pack and two weapons in the backline in Kelly and Sami, plus experience around them, with Smith they become contenders.
That just doesn't sound right.. Titans as contenders... Maybe I have lived on the Gold Coast for too many years, supported too many Seagulls, Chargers, I forget the others... but I am predicting the wheels to fall off the Titan's wagon in 2021.. generally that's going to be a smarter bet year in year out with the coast. 12-12 with the Worriers in the first trial.. Not a great look :)

Just got back from a weekend at the coast, found out where all the Bali brigade are holidaying this year, very colourful cast of characters in Surfers :)

Active Now

• Stix
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lurker
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • Astro
  • lynx000
  • mrtij
  • kman
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
  • Fatboy
  • Manifesto
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • Tmac
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.