Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobbo basically showing at the moment he is a bit of a quitter. You dont sneak out and not support your team mates beacause they are getting flogged. He's just unprofessional. at the moment and he needs to be made an example of. He isnt going to be popular in the playing group no matter what the media statements will tell us. If they didnt like what Payne did, they arent going to like this either.

Venerated RL journalist, and friend of the fans, Buzz Rothfield:

“Look ... for footballers and sportsmen podcasts are a lot different than doing live radio and live television and newspaper interviews because you get yourself into a relaxed environment, you drop your guard. My thought is you say what you really think. So I don’t wear his retraction. I think what he said in the podcast is actually what he thinks.”​
“It’s a problem that’s very hard to take for Kevin Walters in that we’ve been mentioning for months that Anthony Griffin at St George Illawarra, Adam O’Brien at the Newcastle Knights and Justin Holbrook at the Titans are probably the three NRL coaches under the most pressure going into the news season. ... Well I think we can make that a quarter and three Kevin Walters in with the same level of pressure as those coaches."​
“He had the Tyson Gamble blow-up last year, where Tyson Gamble on another podcast came out and said he basically didn’t rate Kev as a coach ... and that he turned to Adam Reynolds for his advice. Kevvie also had the blow up with Ben Ikin last year ... and Kevvie hasn’t been able to get over the fact that Ben is there as the football manager and he’s got so much to offer. He hasn’t, as far as I’m concerned, taken what Ben has got to offer on board."​
“There’s been the Reece Walsh drama on the Gold Coast a week ago, his fight with David Fifita, And through no no fault of his own Payne Haas is away on personal leave ... that’s a horrible story with the charges his mum’s facing. So the club is dealing with a lot of turmoil. It’going to take great leadership to get them out of it on the eve of the season."​
“It’s a club that has continually had big issues for a long period of time, going back to Wayne Bennett’’s messy exit. To all the drama around Anthony Seibold and his departure from the club.”​
“Everything at an NRL club on the field starts with the coach and the coach and the coach has to accept full responsibility for the results. But when the drama is so wide-ranging and as broad as what they’re dealing with now, this is a real test for the leadership of their CEO Dave Donaghy who has to step in and he has to fix this mess. He has to get every single player, the coaches, Ben Ikin, all working together as a team to stop what’s happening right now .. because this is a story that will not go away.”​
Finally Keb is starting to get called out by the media. Imagine if any other person had been coach through this. They would’ve been destroyed.

Going by the fairly subdued media coverage, I'm starting to think @Big Pete might be right: this will blow over pretty quickly. Helps it's the off season and league has been pushed down the media cycle. Look like it's becoming just another straw thrown onto the mounting pile on Kevvie's back. As long as we win, none of this matters. As long as we win.

Finally Keb is starting to get called out by the media. Imagine if any other person had been coach through this. They would’ve been destroyed.
Absolutely. Kevvie's had a dream ride in the press. He's a lovable bloke and they don't want to be mean to him. I wonder if it will turn to pity?

Absolutely. Kevvie's had a dream ride in the press. He's a lovable bloke and they don't want to be mean to him. I wonder if it will turn to pity?
Kevin is the Billy Walters to the media’s Kevin Walters

Going by the fairly subdued media coverage, I'm starting to think @Big Pete might be right: this will blow over pretty quickly. Helps it's the off season and league has been pushed down the media cycle. Look like it's becoming just another straw thrown onto the mounting pile on Kevvie's back. As long as we win, none of this matters. As long as we win.
Yeah, it will all blow over if we start the season with a couple of solid wins. Now I’ll just adjust my spectacles and have a look at who we verse in the first 2 rounds to reinforce my optimistic outlook…

It’s almost like he’s acting like a 20 year old…
Cobbo basically showing at the moment he is a bit of a quitter. You dont sneak out and not support your team mates beacause they are getting flogged. He's just unprofessional. at the moment and he needs to be made an example of. He isnt going to be popular in the playing group no matter what the media statements will tell us. If they didnt like what Payne did, they arent going to like this either.

It’s almost like he’s acting like a 20 year old…

I cant remember ever doing that shit at 20 years old. I think using his age is a cop out. You know whats right and wrong way earlier than 20. You dont turn your back on your team mates when you are supposed to be part of the team. I think its a terrible look for him.

Only for NRL360 to dredge it up again in their first episode of the new season because they have to fill the hour with something.

You'd think this forum was filled with angels with some of these comments.

I 100% do not condone his behaviour. However, I'm 33 and have made plenty of mistake in my journey, and learnt from them.

That's the test, will he learn or not.

The difference between all of us and him, no one cares about our mistakes and it isn't aired, but I'd hazard a guess there is lots of stones in glass houses here.

I thought they implemented a cap on coaches

true they did.

and as @broncos4life said it's a soft cap that we can exceed if we want to pay the tax.

however, we're unlikely going to have to offer any coach enough money to be at risk of going over that cap ... even if we had to offer Leeds a transfer fee if we wanted to get Smith. (transfer fee's aren't included on the cap for players, so I can't imagine they would be for coaches)

We are not a powerhouse club anymore in terms of on field performance but off field, we absolutely are. We should use that off field strength to improve out awful on field performance. We have so much clout that we need to use SELECTIVELY. Unfortunately, the last time we did it, it was run by morons and we gave up Bennett for Seibold but just because that decision was truly horrendous, the idiot that made it is gone.

If it comes to finding out/believing that Smith for example is the guy we want to build our future around BASED ON EVIDENCE (unlike Seibold) , screw it, step on toes to get him. I don't care about coming across as entitled, we should do so. Look at the way the Storm and Roosters are run, massive entitlement issues and they are two of the most successful clubs of the last 20 years.

Nothing wrong with using entitlement if you have weight to back it up and use it SELECTIVELY and where it REALLY makes a difference.

actually I think you'll find that the only the guy who's job it was to pull the trigger is gone.

the guy that made the decision (along with one or two others involved) is still very much here ... he goes by the title of "Chairman of the Board" AKA News Corp's Bitch

that's cause even the media new what sort of shit show he was up against , now he's got his fingerprint on the team he can be judged accordingly.
seriously though what sort of idiot would be so judgemental of a coach after half a season of dealing with our rabble ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Maddy
  • Dash
  • Cavalo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • Wolfie
  • azza.79
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • mitch222
  • Foordy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.