[Confirmed] Ben Barba signs with Cronulla

Re: [RUMOUR] Ben Barba to Cronulla

You think we didn't watch him play with an open mind? We didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to move him directly to five eighth, so we were never watching going "hmmmph I don't want him to play five eighth and he'll suck at it cause of xyz."

If you've watched him play then you've only seen him play as a fullback for the majority of the time.

People use the "Played halves as a kid" argument, but they tend to just put the most damaging players there because "they get more ball". There isn't a lot of structure, creativity or organisation.

You think we didn't watch him play with an open mind? We didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to move him directly to five eighth, so we were never watching going "hmmmph I don't want him to play five eighth and he'll suck at it cause of xyz."

If you've watched him play then you've only seen him play as a fullback for the majority of the time.

You are an absolute bore.

Great? I don't give a shit if I bore you. Get off the forums if you cant handle people voicing their opinions. Add me to your ignore list if its that big a drama for you to have to read something thats not just kissing bennetts starfish.

Great? I don't give a shit if I bore you. Get off the forums if you cant handle people voicing their opinions. Add me to your ignore list if its that big a drama for you to have to read something thats not just kissing bennetts starfish.
Good one champ. I can handle your garbage because its so laughable.

It took Hayne three to four seasons to rediscover his 09 form and it will do the same for Barba. He will carve up next year and I'm so disappointed it won't be for us.

Hayne was the only good player in a team of turkeys. Most of the time he had to play with a spine consisting of Roberts, Sandow and Keating and a team of weak forwards and average backs. Put Billy Slater behind the 2010-2013 Eels and he would've looked ordinary. Hayne had to do every single thing on his own and had basically nobody to support him. Barba won't have to much to work with at Cronulla as most of their players are scrubs apart from a handful.

Maybe you have ....but I've watched him as a junior play in the halves. In the u/20's play in the halves. He can play there.

You've watched him play as a 6 in a shit **** team like the Raiders and formed your opinion, ignoring the glimpses of what he could be and wallowing on the fact of what he isn't because he wasn't playing on the day as a fullback.

People use the "Played halves as a kid" argument, but they tend to just put the most damaging players there because "they get more ball". There isn't a lot of structure, creativity or organisation.

People also forget that not every 6 has to be the organizing half. There were many great 6's who were brilliant creative ball runners as well.

Also depends on your definition of what you want as a 6 ......?

This is so very true. But by modern standards and conventions, I think he's a fullback. By modern conventions I mean a fullback is somebody who has free reign in terms of what side of the field to be on, whether to pass or run and has the speed and vision to make either work. And a five-eight is somebody who basically patrols the other half of the field to the halfback. Whether or not that's what you grew up with five-eights being, I feel most teams these days deploy halves to either side of the field.

And if that is forced upon Milford it will absolutely kill his specialness. He's better operating down the right side than the left, but the area where he has truly excelled is out of dummy half/around the ruck. Spotting quick opportunities and being close to the play the ball to be able to jump in and go. If Bennett allows him to play a similar way then I can see some upside, but if Milford is asked to play a majority of his football on a particular side of the field I think we've lost in a big, big way.

People also forget that not every 6 has to be the organizing half. There were many great 6's who were brilliant creative ball runners as well.

The game has changed since then. Modern fullbacks are more like the 5/8ths of old. For halves, organisation is less important, but creating for others is more.

The game has changed since then. Modern fullbacks are more like the 5/8ths of old. For halves, organisation is less important, but creating for others is more.

You saying you haven't seen Milford create for others .....?

Take off the blinders.

He's better operating down the right side than the left, but the area where he has truly excelled is out of dummy half/around the ruck. Spotting quick opportunities and being close to the play the ball to be able to jump in and go. If Bennett allows him to play a similar way then I can see some upside, but if Milford is asked to play a majority of his football on a particular side of the field I think we've lost in a big, big way.

He'll be closer to the play the ball more regularly as a 6 than he will as fullback.

He'll be closer to the play the ball more regularly as a 6 than he will as fullback.

How do you figure? Fullbacks, generally speaking, will support the ball carrier a lot more often than a five eight will. A lot of five-eights in today's game are asked to operate down only one side. I don't see how this means Milford is more likely to be able to jump into dummy half? Unless you mean he'll get more first receiver touches, which of course he will.

How do you figure? Fullbacks, generally speaking, will support the ball carrier a lot more often than a five eight will. A lot of five-eights in today's game are asked to operate down only one side. I don't see how this means Milford is more likely to be able to jump into dummy half? Unless you mean he'll get more first receiver touches, which of course he will.

:okey:

I can sort of see how he can be damaging as a first receiver if we get quick service. But then I remind myself that's McCullough service.

Milford's work out of dummy half is a stand out. His playmaking as a six whilst promising at times just isn't enough to kill off those areas of his game. At least IMO.

for the last year and a half we haven't operated with split halves but rather had first and second reciever. would be surprised if bennet changed it.

Oh the irony I sometimes wish you took your own advice

Pull your head in kid. I don't ever tell people to stop expressing their opinion or views.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Tim K
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Ondi
  • john1420
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.