[Confirmed] Ben Barba signs with Cronulla

Re: [RUMOUR] Ben Barba to Cronulla

Probably because he hasn't played fullback at NRL level for starters.

Yeah that was more just a general comment, there are actually many reasons like that but primarily injury.

Noone said he was near the best fullback in the game though.

He had a much better 2014 than Boyd though, that's not debatable. He was no good there to begin with, but he improved incredibly and finished the season extremely well.

When I watched Cowboys games this year the commentators would say how good a fullback he was and would talk him up as one of the best in the game but commentators have to pander the viewers I guess. He did have a very good year and did a very good job for them no doubt about that though and he beat the shit out of boyd's year.

Time is definitely going to tell as far as Barba is going to be concerned.

On his current stint, he'd also rank right up there as one of the worst buys in club history. Just a really scratchy season, with minimal highlights and arguably more lowlights. Reckon he's somebody the fans did their best to get around but he failed to live up to expectations and they weren't given the chance to completely embrace him.

Of course, if he tears it up at his next club (probably Cronulla) it maybe remembered as one of the worst recruitment decisions in Broncos history, either way, definitely a story in 2015 to keep an eye on.

If we released him so he can go to Cronulla and we aren't getting compentated and we're doing them a favour, then that's fucking horseshit. We should have demanded a straight swap. Barba for Fifita.

Best of luck to him. He didn't do an enormous amount in our colours but the competition as a whole will be improved if he can play to his potential down there.

To think we gave Steve Michaels 5 years and Stu Kelly 4 years at our club, yet released Barba after 1 injury disrupted season. Disgraceful.

I'm not ashamed to say that I have lost significant interest and care in the Broncos over the whole Barba/Boyd/Bennett fiasco. This isn't the club I grew up supporting, and it's going to take a few years, probably until Bennett/Boyd retire, to get back to where I was support wise this year.

Last edited:
To think we gave Steve Michaels 5 years and Stu Kelly 4 years at our club, yet released Barba after 1 injury disrupted season. Disgraceful.

I'm not ashamed to say that I have lost significant interest and care in the Broncos over the whole Barba/Boyd/Bennett fiasco. This isn't the club I grew up supporting, and it's going to take a few years, probably until Bennett/Boyd retire, to get back to where I was support wise this year.

Neither of those players were on the verge of earning anything near what Barba was about to be on. I must say it is incredibly courageous of you to admit that the actions of the club have hurt you emotionally.

As much as I am disgusted by this whole affair, it won't touch my love for the club, which is above all.

I lost whatever respect I had for WB, and will most likely curse him silently every time I see Barba shine and Boyd being bog average, and I won't stay silent the moment Boyd cost us one of our promising youngsters.

Good luck Benny, and apologies for the way you were treated. You weren't a chance as soon as the majority shareholder decided to bring Wayne back.

Good luck Darius, despite everything, I don't blame you for any of this, now or in the future.

Neither of those players were on the verge of earning anything near what Barba was about to be on. I must say it is incredibly courageous of you to admit that the actions of the club have hurt you emotionally.
What was Barba about to be on?

Despit being disappointed to see Barba move on I have lost no respect for Wayne Bennett who has been honest from the get go and at the end of the he decided his future was elsewhere and I wish him luck at the Sharks. For all the claims of it coming back to bites us there are just as many to make that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, there's always room for a player of his talent, just ask Berrigan and Hancock.

As for the claims of Boyd's signature coming back to stop us retaining a promising youngster, they are no worse off then if Barba had remained and if both were at the club that would be the worse case scenario for their chances.

As for the claims of Boyd's signature coming back to stop us retaining a promising youngster, they are no worse off then if Barba had remained and if both were at the club that would be the worse case scenario for their chances.

I disagree. With Barba here Milford could have played fullback and Barba five-eight. With Boyd here, Boyd will play fullback. He's locked in. That means Milford is locked into five-eight. Our promising players are halves.

Now, maybe they'll be so awesome that they can force their way into the team ahead of Hunt or Milford, but if both play well, then honestly, it's hard to see it happening. And yes, they might get in via injury, so it's not like there's 0 chance of them making it. What I do think has completely disappeared though is the prospect of having Milford, Hunt and Taylor/Nikorima all in the spine together. Given I would expect at least one of those two juniors to come good, it's a disappointing sacrifice considering the prize is Boyd.

I disagree. With Barba here Milford could have played fullback and Barba five-eight. With Boyd here, Boyd will play fullback. He's locked in. That means Milford is locked into five-eight. Our promising players are halves.

Now, maybe they'll be so awesome that they can force their way into the team ahead of Hunt or Milford, but if both play well, then honestly, it's hard to see it happening. And yes, they might get in via injury, so it's not like there's 0 chance of them making it. What I do think has completely disappeared though is the prospect of having Milford, Hunt and Taylor/Nikorima all in the spine together. Given I would expect at least one of those two juniors to come good, it's a disappointing sacrifice considering the prize is Boyd.

I seriously never saw Barba as a five-eight, I saw him as a fullback.

In that scenario of Milford at fullback and Barba at 5/8th then there really is no potential that the youngsters would be given any greater opportunity then if Boyd was in the spine because realistically he wouldn't drop Milford or Barba and realistically of the 3 mentioned Boyd is the rep so the door does open there, Milford and Barba otherwise your relying on just injuries or suspension they haven't even played SOO yet.

In that scenario of Milford at fullback and Barba at 5/8th then there really is no potential that the youngsters would be given any greater opportunity then if Boyd was in the spine because realistically he wouldn't drop Milford or Barba and realistically of the 3 mentioned Boyd is the rep so the door does open there, Milford and Barba otherwise your relying on just injuries or suspension they haven't even played SOO yet.

I don't get it? WB has come in and told Barba he's not in his top 17 and essentially doesn't rate him, yet you are claiming that if Barba stayed WB wouldn't have dropped him.

Danoz - I agree Barba is a fullback. In my scenario he is a bridge to Taylor at half and Hunt at five-eight. All moot now of course.

I don't understand this theory , to have a lesser side in the present so the there is room to improve it in the future should one of the current crop of youngsters step up to the mark.

Active Now

• porouian
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Big Del
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.