[Confirmed] Russell Packer -->Not the Broncos

re: [Confirmed] Russell Packer --> Panthers

What Wayne Bennett wants and what the board will approve are obviously two very different things. Don't be surprised of the board put a stop to this. They are also divided on Darius Boyd and if the board doesn't want him Wayne won't be able to get him. Mind you Wayne Bennett hasn't even had any serious discussions with Darius as of yet.

What Wayne Bennett wants and what the board will approve are obviously two very different things. Don't be surprised of the board put a stop to this. They are also divided on Darius Boyd and if the board doesn't want him Wayne won't be able to get him. Mind you Wayne Bennett hasn't even had any serious discussions with Darius as of yet.

Surely a coach gets the players he wants, especially a coach like Wayne Bennett.

Obviously pending salary cap space.

@MandsLucas: Kev Walters has just told @BrisGrillTeam - Russell Packer in a @brisbanebroncos jersey next season would be "a good thing" #NRL

I wonder what all of the sacked players will think of that...

I wonder what all of the sacked players will think of that...

And how can we turn down Dugan for making a tweet, yet look at signing this shit ****

Surely a coach gets the players he wants, especially a coach like Wayne Bennett.

Obviously pending salary cap space.

This. Bennett has the board easily. Murdoch has majority, so what Wayne wants, Wayne gets. **** the image of the club, **** the people HE fired for far less in the past, **** everything.

If we sign either boyd (to play in the spine) or packer it just shows that bennett has too much power at the club, and that he picks players he "likes" not who is good for the team / club

If we sign either boyd (to play in the spine) or packer it just shows that bennett has too much power at the club, and that he picks players he "likes" not who is good for the team / club

We already know that is exactly what he does.

What about his victim, do you think he will have forgotten, or doesn't that matter?
Why should he be subject to his attacker's face on TV, possibly basking in glory, or doesn't that matter?

I believe in rehabilitation and I agree with your first paragraph, but to me, it is imperative that is not at the cost of more suffering from any victim, including psychological, which would certainly come from the above

I believe that with the privilege of being a professional sportsman, especially in a sport with high media coverage, comes a duty of image and character, and I believe that committing a crime of this nature definitely forfeits the right of its author to continue to enjoy such privilege and exposure.

This doesn't mean I want Packer to stay locked-up, or doesn't deserve a second chance, but rehabilitation can and should involve a new humble start, as well as a hard journey to earn the above mentioned rights again.

Give the victim a sense of closure before arguing the aggressor's right.
\

Just putting the devil's advocate cap on for the moment. I think you will see from my previous posts that I agree with you that he should do penance via country football and community service prior to being allowed an NRL contract again, however, consider that the victim may in fact be better served by allowing him back early if the victim intends to seek common law damages arising from the assault and the injuries caused. If he is on an NRL contract at least he will have the capacity to meet those damages.

If you believe they all have to go to some menial job with zero exposure then don't bother about rehabilitation, just keep me locked up.
Yup, can do.
Want to keep the high profile, high reward job? Don't commit heinous crimes.

\

Just putting the devil's advocate cap on for the moment. I think you will see from my previous posts that I agree with you that he should do penance via country football and community service prior to being allowed an NRL contract again, however, consider that the victim may in fact be better served by allowing him back early if the victim intends to seek common law damages arising from the assault and the injuries caused. If he is on an NRL contract at least he will have the capacity to meet those damages.
If it benefits the victim, no problem at all.

In that case though, Manly or Parra would be ideal clubs, not the Broncos... :wink:

My point is not about further punishment, it's about preventing further suffering or inconvenience to the victim. If he happens to be a RL fan, it would be ridiculous to tell him to watch something else because of his aggressor's right to rehabilitate in the NRL.
Even worse, imagine that guy going to the club he supports.

And how can we turn down Dugan for making a tweet, yet look at signing this shit ****

TBF Dugan was turned down because he had just caused all this controversy, was offered a lifeline and basically told he would have strict conditions to follow. He couldn't even make it through the weekend to sign his contract before breaking those conditions.

When people say he got turned down for a tweet they are trivialising it and aren't telling the whole story. Had Dugan been a cleanskin and that one tweet was the only blemish on his record it would most likely have been a different story

Yup, can do.
Want to keep the high profile, high reward job? Don't commit heinous crimes.

Sooo no to rehabilitation then?

you still didn't answer why you don't have a problem with the Manu Mau's of the world having a high profile, high reward job?

I disagree, I think he recruits players that will give him the best chance at short term success, and rarely plans for the future (After he's retired from coaching)

I'd be very surprised if we sign any young talent from outside Brisbane in the upcoming Wayne Bennett era, expect seasoned veterans and reliable players.

Like the way he recruited Darren Lockyer ? Or are you implying that Cyril Connell found them but WB had no part. Connell found some young players notably including Shane Webcke, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Darren Lockyer, Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri, Shaun Berrigan, Brent Tate and Karmichael Hunt but it still required WB to select and play them. WB selects what's best for a team and not what's best for WB. He selects for both short and long term needs such as picking up Harvey Howard in 2000 for short term success and Lote Tuqiri who had the previous season as a rookie.

Like the way he recruited Darren Lockyer ? Or are you implying that Cyril Connell found them but WB had no part. Connell found some young players notably including Shane Webcke, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Darren Lockyer, Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri, Shaun Berrigan, Brent Tate and Karmichael Hunt but it still required WB to select and play them. WB selects what's best for a team and not what's best for WB. He selects for both short and long term needs such as picking up Harvey Howard in 2000 for short term success and Lote Tuqiri who had the previous season as a rookie.

Well if we're living in the past. The Broncos are the best team in the competition bar none.

Just because he did X 10 - 20 years ago, doesn't make him a genius today.

Because pea-heart no effort Dugan can't even put in the work required to be a shit **** properly. Fudge was willing to try and kill a guy over nothing, to the extent that he's currently in jail. He's displayed a lot of followthrough, unlike lazy goodfornothing Doogs who told his victim to commit suicide before declaring the job jobbed and cracking another pineapple cruiser.

Packer is most definitely a shit ****, but Dugan is a lazy wannabe half shit **** who has a lot of natural talent but can't be bothered putting 100% into his shit cuntery.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Aldo
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • ostin86
  • marw
  • bb_gun
  • Fatboy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Galah
  • The Don
  • Broncosarethebest
  • PETERN
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.