[Confirmed] Russell Packer -->Not the Broncos

re: [Confirmed] Russell Packer --> Panthers

16 pages hahahaha.

The NRL will not register him.

End of.

Fair enough, **** you Porthoz lol...meant nicely. Be a shit world if we all agreed.....unless it was me !!!!

16 pages hahahaha.

The NRL will not register him.

End of.

Oh, oh, have they come out and stated that...I can't find it on the news ....is there a link ?

Cult3 said:
I think our coach this year and last proves how hard it is to bring younger players up even due to necessity.

2013 maybe, but in 2014, the Broncos have had a pretty cherished run with injuries and there hasn't been a lot of chances to bring in a new kid.

2013 maybe, but in 2014, the Broncos have had a pretty cherished run with injuries and there hasn't been a lot of chances to bring in a new kid.

Injuries, yeah. Playing well enough to keep their position, no.

Blooding a rookie isn't necessarily the solution to that problem.

However, injuries generally force a coaches hand.

As opposed to all of those other NRL players that he could've used instead.. he used them out of necessity, the only player I've seen Bennett drop for garbage form this year is Uate.

I won't disregard all your points in terms of Bennett somehow making the 3 lower grades all successful, because I have no idea.. but, what you're saying is that Bennett does all of the recruiting and roster management for the Flegg, U20's & NSW Cup team? That's pretty impressive if true.

He could have picked guys from the NSW Cup team. He could have gone safe and not the future as you claim he does everytime.

A head coach has to be across the whole club not just 17 guys. That's why you have your staff, that's why you meet with them. Hook watches the Qld Cup games every week, he watches the 20's every week. He meets with the coaches every week.

Bennett is famous for having a great knowledge of players at his club. He will walk up to a new 20's guy and ask where in Roma they lived- he knows his club and he knows players. He is awesome at it to a freakish level.

Where did Bennett meet Lockyer the first time- a carnival in Ipswich. Where did Bennett meet Webcke- Grand Final in Toowoomba. He wasn't there because he likes to drive he was watching them.

If you don't have good systems, if you don't start at the bottom and set up good path ways and know those path ways and the meet with the people involved you're a poor coach and not long from getting sacked.

Going by your avatars, you're both pretty hot. I'd pay to watch that tbh.

I would pay good money to watch a session with our avatars

He could have picked guys from the NSW Cup team. He could have gone safe and not the future as you claim he does everytime. A head coach has to be across the whole club not just 17 guys. That's why you have your staff, that's why you meet with them. Hook watches the Qld Cup games every week, he watches the 20's every week. He meets with the coaches every week. Bennett is famous for having a great knowledge of players at his club. He will walk up to a new 20's guy and ask where in Roma they lived- he knows his club and he knows players. He is awesome at it to a freakish level. Where did Bennett meet Lockyer the first time- a carnival in Ipswich. Where did Bennett meet Webcke- Grand Final in Toowoomba. He wasn't there because he likes to drive he was watching them. If you don't have good systems, if you don't start at the bottom and set up good path ways and know those path ways and the meet with the people involved you're a poor coach and not long from getting sacked.

Great post and all very true

I've come around on the idea of signing packer. I'd be happy for him to never play again but he would bring a lot to our squad.

Wayne isn't stupid and he has incredible people skills. He signed Packer from the warriors and Packer instantly embarrassed Wayne. There isn't a chance that (if the romours are true) Wayne would go anywhere near this guy, let alone sign him to a new club from behind bars, if he didn't see something in him. Not as a player but as a man.

I have lost a bit of faith in Bennett's eye for talent but one thing I do trust him on is being a good judge of character. Packer had his contract torn up at the knights, other clubs are chasing him and Benno is now working at different club. If he does sign him despite how easy it would be to not feel any responsibility for him as a coach, there is more to Packer than we know.

Packer is not this intimidating force some people are making him out to be ... other players don't fear him running at them. if they did he would acerage far more than the 80-odd meters he averaged (in his best season).

people seem to be confusing his actions off the field, with his actions on the field...

my only hope is that the NRL refuse to register a contract for him, to save us the indignity of him wearing our prestigious jersey and running out for our great club.

Alright look, I've tried to avoid this thread until I came to a conclusion on the subject that I am happy with. I think I have that now.

First of all, we're allowing our idea of "club integrity" to cloud our judgement on this issue to the benefit of other clubs. In such a congested contest as the NRL is now, you cannot give your opposition an inch. We did exactly that with Gagai, we did exactly that with Dugan and now both Newcastle and Merge are reaping the rewards and nobody else gives a **** that our club took a stand against bad behavior except us.

In regards to Packer, obviously he is a scumbag, but one way or the other he is going to be a scumbag that is with us or against us. I would rather he be with us. However, I was absolutely livid when he pissed on Lang Park, so he has a LOT of respect to earn back, both on and off the field.

If Bennett thinks he can turn this guys life around, let him try, but keep Packer on the shortest leash in the NRL. He so much as even turns up to training late and he's gone.

I have a suggestion ... instead of trying to sign Packer, how about we add whatever we were going to give Packer to Hannants offer (apparently we will be making him one, it just won't be what he is on now).

IMHO, Hannant is not only the better player, but also the better person!

In such a congested contest as the NRL is now, you cannot give your opposition an inch. We did exactly that with Gagai, we did exactly that with Dugan and now both Newcastle and Merge are reaping the rewards and nobody else gives a **** that our club took a stand against bad behavior except us.

There is a BIG difference to what Gagai & Dugan did to what Packer did.

To be honest, I think the Broncos over reacted to what Dugan did.

So he told a troll to end it, the troll was being a complete arsehole to him.

There is a BIG difference to what Gagai & Dugan did to what Packer did.

To be honest, I think the Broncos over reacted to what Dugan did.

So he told a troll to end it, the troll was being a complete arsehole to him.

I don't think it was so much what he did (i.e. telling the moron troll to end himself), but more, that after getting sacked he couldn't control himself long enough to get the contract signed and, the probably figured that he would keep bring the club into the spotlight for the wrong reasons.

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • kiwibronco
  • dirtyharry
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • mitch222
  • bert_lifts
  • Bish
  • Mister Wright
  • broncos4life
  • sooticus
  • ostin86
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.