NEWS Congratulations: debutant Payne Haas, our lone Kangaroo

Will be good experience but rather he was rested. Still just a kid and he pumped out some numbers this season.

Congrats to payne, well deserved.

However, with the 9s, how does fifita not get in that team? Size, strength and speed.

Yeah I don’t get it, Fifita is made for 9’s.

How does hunt get a jersey. Baffling

Fifita is named for the 9's on Nrl insta page btw

Last edited:
How does hunt get a jersey. Baffling

It jumped out at me as well, but if you look at Australia's stocks in the 9 jersey, they have little choice. They could have taken a punt on Jake Friend with a view that he'll be the Queensland Maroons #9 all things being well, but he's played such little football I can understand them giving somebody of Hunt's utility first preference.

On form, I would have had McInnes behind Cook as Australia's second best 9, but he broke his leg in Round 24.

Fifita and Flegler both made the Junior Kangaroos side as well

Last edited:
Flegler seems to be pretty highly rated. Both this team and the PM’s team. I’m pretty surprised to be honest, maybe he just doesn’t stand out to me behind haas and Fifita

that is a very strong junior Kangaroos team, since nearly all of them have a fair amount of NRL experience.

isn't this team usually made up of schoolboys? or is that a different team?

Is this a new concept, because I’m hearing it’s aged 24 and under?

Three Origin stars in Junior Kangaroos as age cut-off raised
John Dean
7 October 2019, 8:05pm

Three NRL stars with State of Origin experience have been named in a strong Junior Kangaroos squad after the decision was made to increase the age cut off.

David Fifita, Angus Crichton and Kalyn Ponga have all been included in the team to play France at WIN in Wollongong on October 25 as part of a triple header with the Jillaroos and Kangaroos facing their New Zealand counterparts.

The decision was made to bump up the selection of players from under 20s to under 23 years of age meaning every player at least has NRL experience.

Junior Kangaroos coach Neil Henry said the decision was made to open the pathway for younger players to perform on an international stage and eventually break into the senior Kangaroos team.

Henry labelled the team a “genuine Australia A-side”.

“We’ve assembled a quality group of young footballers who have more than proven themselves over the course of the 2019 season,” Henry said.

“Changing the age has allowed us to select a genuine Australia-A side with each of these players now firmly on the pathway to become fully-fledged Kangaroos.

“I’m looking forward to getting the players together for what should be a great match against France in Wollongong.”

Source: Foxsports

So is it france we play or junior france? Not that it will make much of a difference. It will be a nothing game I'm sure most of these players would rather sit out and enjoy their off-season. Disappointing that's the opponent they came up with.

Flegler seems to be pretty highly rated. Both this team and the PM’s team. I’m pretty surprised to be honest, maybe he just doesn’t stand out to me behind haas and Fifita
I suspect that's EXACTLY what a lot of Broncos fans are unintentionally guilty of. Haas and Fifita just exploded this year, Haas in particular is unlike anything we've really seen before. My guess is if those two debuted at different times, there would be way more hype around Flegler than there has been. He was a bolter for Round 1 and ended up playing the whole year and in a real shambles of a season he was hardworking and fairly consistent for a guy of his age and experience. I think he has a great future in front of him.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Galah
  • Porthoz
  • MrRobot
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Redux
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.