Corey Norman

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
That's a mate sticking up for a mate. Whilst I think Norman is undoubtably talented I don't think he has the range in his game or the ability to involve others enough to excel as a 6. Fullback suits his style far better as the last 2 weeks have shown, he is a good support player and is good at chiming in to the backline to add an extra man he is not good when he is expected to stand at 1st or 2nd receiver and expected to create consistently for others. His game is very much suited to that of the modern day fullback.

Completely agree Brizz. I also think if he does end up bulking up as he gets older he could move into the backrow. He is a really good runner of the ball and breaks tackle a fair bit.

Also it has been interesting to watch the form of our halves. Up until Origin they both played well, Wallace appears to need a confident halve with him because as soon as he feels he needs to do more he struggles hence why he always struggled without Lockyer. As soon as Norman's form dipped Wallace was awful and as soon as Wallace's form dipped Norman was required to step up a bit and due to his lack of playmaking ability came up very short. They are not a reliable halves pairing by any stretch, sure they were good early this year but our pack was going fantastic and it wasn't like they were putting sides to the sword. I would love to see our spine look like this next season...

1.Norman
6.Kahu
7.Hunt
9.McCullough

I honestly think Wallace needs to either spend some time soul searching or needs to go altogether, his very mediocre playing level has been rewarded for far too long because mainly we have had a bare cupboard but hopefully Kahu has a strong preseason and we can go in next year with a new option.

Is Kahu an genuine 5/8th or is he more of an outside back. I really think Norman should be fullback and Hunt our halfback.

Kahu has spent more time developing as a 6 than Norman had that I am sure of. Regardless if Norman is at 1 we wouldn't need a massively creative 6 (as long as the 7 is Hunt not Wallace) because Hunt has shown he will try things and will be creative. I think Ben Hunt will only get better the more responsibility he is given and the more faith he gets shown.

Hunt has to be in the halves next year without doubt.

I agree with what Locky is saying, although it seems even he is blinded by the immovable force that surrounds Wallace

"At the moment, Ben Hunt has been given an opportunity, and that's a good thing for the Broncos.

"That there are two young guys competing for one position will bring the best out of them.

They shouldn't be competing for the one position. Ben Hunt is a halfback, give him the 7 jersey.... ffs !!

The elephant in the room is Peter Wallace.

I can't discount Norman as a 5/8 until I see him play more with Hunt beside him.

1. Hoffman
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McC

Never take anything a footballer says about another footballer. It's always polite politically correct bullshit. Even if Norman was absolute rubbish Locky would still defend him. There's no real opinions in rugby league.

You guys are forgetting far too easily how good Wallace is for the entire field bar the 30 metres when we're in attacking territory, and even then he can still be good. Seem to be forgetting he was our best half all year until the form slide.

Our halves are perfect and Norman will work at fullback. Leave them be.

I agree with what Locky is saying, although it seems even he is blinded by the immovable force that surrounds Wallace

They shouldn't be competing for the one position. Ben Hunt is a halfback, give him the 7 jersey.... ffs !!

The elephant in the room is Peter Wallace.

I can't discount Norman as a 5/8 until I see him play more with Hunt beside him.

1. Hoffman
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McC

That 1679, yuck.

Never take anything a footballer says about another footballer. It's always polite politically correct bullshit. Even if Norman was absolute rubbish Locky would still defend him. There's no real opinions in rugby league.

this.

could pretty much write all of my stories BEFORE I went to training sessions during my former career ... zzzz

It will be interesting to see which way the club goes with Norman. I'm not quite sure we will see him find a home at 6 - at least we should know by this time next year. Otherwise, whether he progresses into the outside backs or backrow could come down to opportunities provided through injury, convenience or scarcity in certain positions.

He's a diamond in the rough but gee there is a lot of rough there.

It's been that way since the 20s, this isn't some kid who dominated down there and has been exposed, he's always played like this. One moment he can do something amazing then you won't see him again and when you do it's him making a dumb mistake. He's been that way since I watched his NYC debut against the Cowboys in R1 '09.

I don't think he's all there as a playmaker, I don't think he knows how to adjust to a situation and what's the right play. Watching him, I feel like Hook has basically told him to stick to the left hand side, get the ball and unless you're a 100% confident the pass or kick is on all you're going to do is run and kick to the corners.

That's why we're seeing the improvement in this aspect of his game at fullback, because he has more freedom, he can interject himself either side of the field & doesn't have the same amount of pressure on the last tackle plays, the play would be decided by the other halves.

It remains to be seen whether he'll be our long-term five eigth. Based on this season it's a flat no & I think both halves should well and truly be under the microscope.

Watching him, I feel like Hook has basically told him to stick to the left hand side, get the ball and unless you're a 100% confident the pass or kick is on all you're going to do is run and kick to the corners.

I think you're right on this part. Keeping it simple and providing Corey with a clearly defined role was not a bad move from Hook, it reduced the pressure and I was a big fan of it at the start of the year. However his slide in form seems to have coincided with more responsibility. It also doesn't help he hasn't had any continuity on the left - I doubt he would have had the same players on either side of him for consecutive weeks since Origin. Many underestimate the role combinations play.

I don't think Norman is even comfortable passing in that direction, his best plays have featured him curling past the play the ball on the right and sending the centre or winger down the sideline before they turn it back on the inside.

Hook purposefully swapped Wallace over and ultimately I don't think it quite worked out. I think we need to give these guys more free reign to move around the field otherwise it just becomes telegraphed.

Hunt has to be in the halves. He has been really good since his permanent move there. Would be great to see him get a full offseason as a half.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.