Dallas Johnson set to join Catalans

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26219164-23214,00.html

Melbourne Storm are likely to grant Dallas Johnson a release to join French league club Catalans next year, however there has so far been no request from the workhorse lock.

The Queensland State of Origin forward, who was a integral member of Melbourne's recent NRL premiership success, has been linked to the French Super League club, coached by former Maroons and Brisbane skipper Kevin Walters.
Johnson has another two years on his Melbourne contract, but has an out-clause that will enable him to take up a Super League offer.

I'm surprised that he's going to the ESL at only 26 years old. Now I realise I said that the Broncos wouldn't need him should he become available, but he is a very valuable player to the Storm and surely there would be an NRL club who could employ his services at a good wage considering his rep honors.

It is an odd one, especially seeing as he has two years left on his contract.

Perahps he feels as if he's accomplished all he can in Australia.

2 premierships, 4 Origin series wins. It's been a good career so if he gets a good offer overseas then why not? Courier Mail quotes Smith as saying Johnson doesn't want to play against the Storm so another NRL team is pretty unlikely.

Agreed Ronny. They have Kev Walters on Dead Set Legends this morning talking about it and they did ask him what the QRL thought about the possibility of not having Johnson available (was tongue in cheek but still a worthy question IMO)

ronnyd said:
its massive blow for QLD if he goes.

Is it really...there are a few other players that could easily fill his void. Luck and Stagg are two that pop to mind and that both probably have a better attacking game.

The Rock said:
[quote="king_johns":xhdotn6x]
ronnyd said:

Is it really...there are a few other players that could easily fill his void. Luck and Stagg are two that pop to mind and that both probably have a better attacking game.

Exactly. You won't notice that Johnson is gone if he's replaced with Stagg or Luck next year.[/quote:xhdotn6x]

If stagg can keep his form up and thrive at a rep level [icon_pray.

I have to admit, I worried for Qld when I heard the news

Play Harrison at lock. He's way better than Johnson anyway.

Yep Harrison or Luck or Stagg can all tackle forever and are all very handy with the ball.

The Rock said:
[quote="king_johns":2hkdj463]
ronnyd said:

Exactly. You won't notice that Johnson is gone if he's replaced with Stagg or Luck next year.[/quote:2hkdj463]

NSW would notice if Johnson left

Easily replaceable for the QLD team imo. Stagg is almost a carbon copy with better attack.

The difference extra impact Stagg would have over Johnson in attack would be pretty worthless at Origin level IMO. But the difference in defense would be more noticeable. Johnson engages the attackers head on, and actually hurts them in defense. Stagg goes through a lot of work, but it's just tackling that doesn't really stop the momentum...at least that's the way it was when he was at the Broncos, he used to go for the legs more often than not. Haven't watched too many Bulldogs games this year though.

Yep one thing Johnson has over so many other work horse defenders is the amount of him tackles that are him making the first contact and the amount of times he completely halts and often reverses the runners progress.

bingo Gymp and Alec. in Staggs entire Broncos run, i dont think i ever saw him hurt an opposition player in a tackle or drive them back on first contact. Johnson does it all the time. Stagg makes lots of tackles by being the second/third man in and flopping, much like hindmarsh and fitzgibbon do lots of the time.

Johnson has been an integral part of the Queensland team and its a huge loss if he leaves. if he does though, Ashley Harrison absolutely has to be his replacement at lock. gives the team another strong defender, but also gives us another dimension in attack as hes quite the handy ball player.

Looking at the big picture Stagg is a better defender... there is no better player in the comp at timing how long he hangs onto legs.

I can't agree with that m1c. Although Stagg has improved this season, Johnson is a better defender than him. As a few people have just said, Johnson not only makes the tackles that count, he dominates the player he is tackling as well.

Johnson has terrible technique, he goes in hard but he wouldn't have many more dominant tackles than Stagg per game. The big picture I'm referring to is Stagg allows his defensive line more time to set, honestly he is the master at loitering the the play the ball. The Bulldogs ruck defense fell to pieces when he missing this year.

The Rock said:
Yeah because the IQ level of the QLD team would rapidly increase.

Too bad he's not switching alligances because he'd double the blues IQ.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brotherdu
  • Ondi
  • Bish
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Culhwch
  • Behold
  • Footy Fanatic
  • MrTickyMcG
  • achievedrap
  • Skyblues87
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.