Daniel Vidot discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Arguably the most improved player in 2014, it appears that Daniel Vidot has fallen out of favour with returning coach Wayne Bennett and so far has been over-looked for a spot in the first grade team.

The question is, should he be in the first grade side and what areas if any do you think are keeping him out?

I know there's a few Vidot threads floating around but none of them have asked these questions directly.

Re: Should Daniel Vidot Be In The First Grade Side?

It's debatable either way.

I think Oates & Maranta both have more upside, both are WAY younger, both have safer hands. The reason Vidot isn't in the first grade side is his ineptness under the high ball, combined with his inability to finish easy tries.

With that being said, I wouldn't spit the dummy if he turned up in my 17 one Tuesday.. I'm just saying he's certainly not demanding a spot in it.

I agree with unbreakable, he isn't demanding a spot. He needs to be killing it for the jets, which he isn't.

Last edited:

He's being played at prop at the Jets, and was quite good yesterday, both on the wing, where he set-up a nice try, as in the front row, where he did a pretty good job.

Maranta's safe hands can **** off over the side line, where he usually ends up anyway. He's the worst winger in the history of ever when it comes to finishing tries or carrying the ball. Not everything is about catching bombs, although Vidot does need to work on that.

I think so. He's far from perfect but he can be an asset to our team if we play him to his strengths.

Currently I'd rate our options in descending preference as follows :

Kahu
Oates
Vidot
Maranta

Obviously Kahu is fullback for now but following Boyd's return, I think he's our best option (if he can be that reliable under the high ball as he was this week).

Would be ideal if Eden, Anderson or Drew could make a case for their inclusion.

If I was the coach, absolutely I'd have him in the team.

No idea why he cops such a bad wrap around here, but I feel like people really overstate his weaknesses.

Most defiantly we need his big strong runs. Maranta offers absolute nothing.

Last edited:

If I was the coach, absolutely I'd have him in the team.

No idea why he cops such a bad wrap around here, but I feel like people really overstate his weaknesses.

I think this goes both ways. Nobody has ever said he's shit. He absolutely has not locked down his wing spot by doing hitups.

I would like to see him back I'm the team.

He needs to work on his errors and he won't get back into the team until he has fixed that

It depends on the situation. We went up against 2 quality prop rotations in a row and we were lucky to break even in the Sharks game. We could've used his size going up against those front rows.

No
I would not even have him in the squad

He's flawed but the best we have right now.

He's better than Maranta.

But the Bennett pecking order:

Hodges
Reed
Copley
Maranta/Kahu (?)
Oates
Vidot/Whitchurch (?)

He offers more reliablly bankable and proven upside (his kick return metres) than any of the generally unfounded rhetoric thrown around here about safe hands or speed. And he does those other things just as well, and sometimes better, than the other candidates.

He's obviously on the black list for being a dickhead at the Raiders and St George in his formative years, despite atoning for all that in 2014 with this club.

He is not in the top two wingers in this squad and moving forward he is not good enough to be playing first grade for the Broncos if we wish to improve in the coming years. Let him play for someone else. I hope to see him released before June 30 and i think it may be a chance
I rate Boyd and Kahu as better in this squad

He's being played at prop at the Jets, and was quite good yesterday, both on the wing, where he set-up a nice try, as in the front row, where he did a pretty good job.

Maranta's safe hands can **** off over the side line, where he usually ends up anyway. He's the worst winger in the history of ever when it comes to finishing tries or carrying the ball. Not everything is about catching bombs, although Vidot does need to work on that.

Agreed - he's so predictable and never looks like converting a half chance (created by others) into anything more than step inside, get tackled.

And I've never seen him ever create a linebreak off his own bat or set up a try for someone else.

I'd have him back, and i think he will be back .... when WB thinks he's ready.

He obviously has some flaws in his game that WB is trying to get him to fix, but i agree that we need his size and strength in our backline.

I remember wondering last year how he would go at prop and he is doing alright at the Jets it seems. What are the chances of him returning as a prop? Obviously his hitting up would be better than some in our forward pack by what about his defense?

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • johnny plath
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Clintos
  • Fozz
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.