PLAYER Darius Boyd Discussion

you could be a rugby league journo, given how you're massively taking this photo out of context ...
You really should try and be even just a little bit objective from time to time.

Given Boyd knew with absolute certainty as early as a week ago that there was a very high chance of us securing our first wooden spoon last night, at home, in front of paying fans, members and sponsors who would obviously and justifiably be quite heartbroken if the worst fears came true, I have to honestly question what was going on inside his head that made him think that this, of all things, of all times and all places, was in any way a good idea to go ahead with.

The place that employs you and has helped nurture you since a teenager, the place you yourself were actually made Captain of at one point, is going through it's absolute darkest hour and has just been humiliated with the final the nail in the coffin only moments earlier, and this is honestly the best you can come up with.

I've honestly tried SO hard to give this man the benefit of the doubt, to see things from his perspective and to try and empathise with why he says and does the things he does. But honestly, last night was really a bridge too far. Grown men with responsibility and respect for the people who've supported them don't behave like this, they know better and have a far greater sense of respect for such a dire situation and the people who are hurting from it.

Darius Boyd may have been great once, but he's quite clearly now an absolute cancer to the culture of the club and the sooner he's marched out of this place the better. I sincerely hope he is never afforded an opportunity to step foot in Red Hill ever again.

Last edited:
Off topic (not really) but where is the report button? This is quite obviously a bait thread.

You really should try and be even just a little bit objective from time to time.

Given Boyd knew with absolute certainty as early as a week ago that there was a very high chance of us securing our first wooden spoon last night, at home, in front of paying fans, members and sponsors who would obviously and justifiably be quite heartbroken if the worst fears came true, I have to honestly question what was going on inside his head that made him think that this, of all things, of all times and all places, was in any way a good idea to go ahead with.

The place that employs you and has helped nurture you since a teenager, the place you yourself were actually made Captain of at one point, is going through it's absolute darkest hour and has just been humiliated with the final the nail in the coffin only moments earlier, and this is honestly the best you can come up with.

I've honestly tried SO hard to give this man the benefit of the doubt, to see things from his perspective and to try and empathise with why he says and does the things he does. But honestly, last night was really a bridge too far. Grown men with responsibility and respect for the people who've supported them don't behave like this, they know better and have a far greater sense of respect for such a dire situation and the people who are hurting from it.

Darius Boyd may have been great once, but he's quite clearly now an absolute cancer to the culture of the club and the sooner he's marched out of this place the better. I sincerely hope he is never afforded an opportunity to step foot in Red Hill ever again.

i'm not sure you know what the word "objective" means

i'm not sure you know what the word "objective" means
You've repeatedly and emphatically backed and supported just about everything that anyone associated with the Broncos has done day in and day out for a long time now and currently we're running 16th and about to collect our first wooden spoon - so perhaps it might FINALLY be time to look at the situation 'objectively' and consider that there is a possibility that some of these people may have actually made some serious mistakes and were not, as you seemingly believed, infallible and beyond reproach.

Last edited:
you could be a rugby league journo, given how you're massively taking this photo out of context ...
Thanks. But it's not out of context. We had just lost our way to last place and this is what happened next.

Thanks. But it's not out of context. We had just lost our way to last place and this is what happened next.
Sadly with him there's always an excuse. Always an explanation. If you're employed by the Broncos it's just not your fault.

The fact remains, we are still dead last though.

Last edited:
You've repeatedly and emphatically backed and supported just about everything that anyone associated with the Broncos has done day in and day out for a long time now and currently we're running 16th and about to collect our first wooden spoon - so perhaps it might FINALLY be time to look at the situation 'objectively' and consider that there is a possibility that some of these people may have actually made some serious mistakes and were not, as you seemingly believed, infallible and beyond reproach.

you're letting your bias and emotion at the seasons results influence your arguments and feelings here ... i'm not

the fact is Boyd should have retired 12 months ago at a bare minimum. maybe even at the end of 2018 when Bennett left. but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't celebrate the the impending birth of his daughter with his mates at a place that he has called home for the last 5 years.

by that time many of the fans had left the stadium ... they wouldn't have know what was going on anyway ... I certainly didn't until this morning.

you made it sound like they were acting like this in response to winning the wooden spoon ... and we both know that's not true since we both have a courier mail subscription and can read their articles

This is what winning the spoon looks like.

View attachment 10060

I know it’s for Boyd’s kid, but this photo really encapsulates the “just a game” attitude. If I played for the broncos I’d be so devastated and embarrassed that I’d be getting off the field as soon as humanely possible and preparing for next year.

It’s a joke that most of us here care more about the jersey than the people in it.

Last edited:
You guys see how happy everyone is for Boyd? That’s why he stayed in this squad. One of the coaches jobs is to keep morale high and Seibold turned half the team against him by coming in with a list of players he wanted gone. Boyd on the field has been below par, but Boyd has been the off field captain for a while now and the players want him there. This was them celebrating his career. You know, like every single tram does for retiring players.

Can we just stop now, he’s done.

We deserved the spoon and we have big roster problems. There is no walking away from that.

However, We had massive injury problems with key players missing large parts of the season. I cant think of a match where we weren't missing at least 5 first team players after Covid, and in key positions. The rule changes after Covid also hurt us badly based on the squad we had. The media have not given the attention to these issues it deserved.

I don't think it was a mistake to release McGuire, Nikorima and McCullough. The coach was the problem but his moving on of underperforming senior players was not.

My view is the club got greedy. They tried to keep too many good young players coming through instead of getting a better balance in the squad. Also our senior players stopped performing so we had a side of kids an senior players on too much money and not delivering.

Unfortunately, what we need is not on the market, a quality halfback, a quality fullback and experienced forwards with strong work ethic.

It’s a fucking awful look. I understand that it is exciting for the Boyd’s but we just got our first wooden spoon ever and the club couldn’t be in a worse position, and they choose to celebrate like this on the field? Further to this the planning that went into this on a week where every single member of the squad should have been doing everything possible to try and avoid this lasting shame and stain on our club is shattering as a fan.

you made it sound like they were acting like this in response to winning the wooden spoon ... and we both know that's not true since we both have a courier mail subscription and can read their articles
This is literally what they did after they "won" the wooden spoon. Boyd decided to have a public celebration.

I didn't need to editorialize anything. You can read what you like into it.

Last edited:
This is literally what they did after they "won" the wooden spoon. Boyd decided to have a public celebration.

I didn't need to editorialize anything. You can read what you like into it.

as I said … you'd fit in well in the rugby league media "omitting" certain facts to suit your agenda

It’s a fucking awful look. I understand that it is exciting for the Boyd’s but we just got our first wooden spoon ever and the club couldn’t be in a worse position, and they choose to celebrate like this on the field? Further to this the planning that went into this on a week where every single member of the squad should have been doing everything possible to try and avoid this lasting shame and stain on our club is shattering as a fan.
Planning? His wife probably did 100% of the planning.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.