NEWS Darius Boyd: Why I won’t be surrendering Broncos captaincy or No.1 jersey

Yeah but your team is your team. Regardless if they are successful or whether some bitter old pieces of shit want to make themselves feel important by bagging them. A true fan supports they club if the are winning or whether they are getting back to back wooden spoons. Look at Newcastle, they have fans we could only dream of.

The fact of the matter is if you are even thinking about jumping off the team you are a pea heart and I’m not going to make you feel any better about that.
You're missing the point. They aren't playing or acting like 'my team' anymore. I don't expect them to win the comp every year or anything ridiculous like that, but I expect that same level of proffesionalism and expectation of previous teams. They play with no heart at all. That's not just on the players, but on Paul White and the board because things have been lost. Really, looking back at it, even including 2015, have we ever had that aura or professionalism or consistency of any of the Broncos teams in the past? i'd say no. And it's only getting worse.

They've already had this before. They've shown player top speed as well as distance covered.

I think you'll find in the past that Darius has normally hit the top 2 for speed in our team, and easily has the most distance covered. I'm sure people will say "that's just how it plays out when you're the fullback", but it refutes the slow, lazy, pea-heart accusations.

Just on the failed attempts at stopping a player who's made a break, a season or two ago he was doing exactly what he's doing now, and managing to either get a hand to the ball or even get a clean intercept in situations where he's been on the wrong end of a 2-on-1. Yes it seems the opposition now knows that's his plan, but he's not doing it because he doesn't want to tackle, which is utter shit.

Honestly this letter from Boyd is just a huge kick in the guts. Saying that he is happy with his form is an insult to everyone who's ever worn the Broncos jersey, and an insult to anyone who has ever supported them. He's such a fucking cat how can't he at least have the balls to say he's been shit and he needs to do more. Inglis is going through the same thing with souths and has taken some time off to work out his future. I admire that. He could easily just keep playing and being average, or he can take time off, get his body and mind right and come back, or if his hunger isn't there, retire. Boyd is just milking this for as long as he can.

I go to every single broncos home game, and usually 4 or 5 away games each year. I sit with Broncos members and most of them have been there for the past 10-15 years. Everyone that sits around me wants boyd out of the team. EVERYONE. And these are people who have been paying $600 a ticket to be season members. People that go to every game whether it's raining or not.

So for him to say this shit, when the fans, the past players (including people who have played with him), and the media experts are all saying he's been trash, it's just bullshit.

This won't be a popular post but to be fair to Boyd, apart from what, 3 defensive lapses, his form hasn't been that bad. Take the two dummies he tried to interecept or completely avoid tackling and the one where he just watched out of the equation and it's a different story

I've gone through his numbers and in a lot of ways it's been his best start in years.

Tries: 0
Average Runs: 16
Average Metres: 138
Average Kick Return Metres: 50
Average Post Contact Metres: 26
Line-Breaks: 1
Line-Break Assist: 1
Try Assist: 1
Tackle Breaks: 9
Average Play The Ball Speed: 3.44 seconds
Offloads: 1
Average Passes: 20
Average Receipts: 35
Kicks: 6
Errors: 1
Penalties: 1

Average Runs: 12
Average Metres: 98
Average Kick Return Metres: 37
Average Post Contact Metres: 24
Line-Breaks: 0
Tackle Breaks: 13
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.3 Seconds
Average Passes: 21
Average Receipts: 31
Kicks: 2
Errors: 4
Penalties: 2

Tries: 2
Average Runs: 15
Average Metres: 111
Average Kick Return Metres: 22
Average Post Contact Metres: 27
Line-Break Assist: 3
Tackle Breaks: 11
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.35 Seconds
Average Passes: 16
Average Receipts: 28
Kicks: 1
Errors: 3

Average Runs: 14
Average Metres: 134
Average Kick Return Metres: 48
Average Post Contact Metres: 32
Line-Breaks: 2
Line-Break Assist: 0
Try Assist: 0
Tackle Breaks: 3
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.32 Seconds
Average Passes: 9
Average Receipts: 24
Kicks: 0
Penalties: 0

Boyd has been more involved this year, he's running the ball more than he usually does and is backing his skills. He's actually been safer than in previous seasons and is getting to the play the ball a lot quicker which was one of his biggest weaknesses.

Boyd still has flaws that numbers can't show, but there's some positive signs and this may explain the impression you have.

Last edited:
They've already had this before. They've shown player top speed as well as distance covered.

I think you'll find in the past that Darius has normally hit the top 2 for speed in our team, and easily has the most distance covered. I'm sure people will say "that's just how it plays out when you're the fullback", but it refutes the slow, lazy, pea-heart accusations.

Just on the failed attempts at stopping a player who's made a break, a season or two ago he was doing exactly what he's doing now, and managing to either get a hand to the ball or even get a clean intercept in situations where he's been on the wrong end of a 2-on-1. Yes it seems the opposition now knows that's his plan, but he's not doing it because he doesn't want to tackle, which is utter shit.
Don't compare him to people in the team, compare him to people in his position. It's not normally publicly available. In the past i've had contacts in NRL and Channel 9 who have shared info they get but its not available to public usually. This will change that.

After the storm game he came out and said he needs to go for the man with the ball. Two weeks later hes in the same situation and againw ent for the dummy and didn't touch Mcinnes.

This is the time to be digging in as a member not having round 4 hissy fits. Appreciate the frustration amongst BHQ members but I haven't seen this level of discontent. Lets stick solid for a few more weeks and see where it takes us. If its not a great place let's lock on develop the young squad for the future. The dead wood / Darius stuff will take care of itself.

This is the time to be digging in as a member not having round 4 hissy fits. Appreciate the frustration amongst BHQ members but I haven't seen this level of discontent. Lets stick solid for a few more weeks and see where it takes us. If its not a great place let's lock on develop the young squad for the future. The dead wood / Darius stuff will take care of itself.
Will it take care of itself though? Darius is signed until the end of 2021, Gillett until the end of 2022. Both on approx 700k+ a season and both are playing like 250k players... That's a huge amount of salary cap being chewed up.

The most concerning thing is the lack of change. Broncos appear to have this mentality that as long as they make the 8 it's okay.

Everything you’ve said in your second paragraph may be true, but what cannot be denied is that it is the low percentage play.

Boyd is well and truly experienced enough to know there is a time and place for low percentage plays (which really should be never when you’re 1) the captain, and 2) literally the last line of defence), but what is clear is that he’s not selecting his moments very well.

That really only applies to the broken field defence though. His effort this year, or lack there of, on a few players when they are scoring tries from close range certainly points to him not wanting to make an effort to tackle, particularly, for example, when he simply let Tedesco score under the posts. I mean, he could have at least made him put it down out wider.

I think that’s the straw that has finally broken the camels back for a lot of people. The effort isn’t there. He can gesticulate to the ref but he can’t put pressure on the man with the ball. It really is a terrible look.

This won't be a popular post but to be fair to Boyd, apart from what, 3 defensive lapses, his form hasn't been that bad. Take the two dummies he tried to interecept or completely avoid tackling and the one where he just watched out of the equation and it's a different story

Sure his form recently hasn't been that bad compared to since he returned from injury. The majority of his kick returns don't look threatening, appears like if he can't get the pass away first then he's looking for the softest spot in the d line in which he can lead with his ass and go to ground. He seems in preservation mode.
The best fullbacks in the game are looking to attack the shit outa the line.

Sure his form recently hasn't been that bad compared to since he returned from injury. The majority of his kick returns don't look threatening, appears like if he can't get the pass away first then he's looking for the softest spot in the d line in which he can lead with his ass and go to ground. He seems in preservation mode.
The best fullbacks in the game are looking to attack the shit outa the line.
Some of his kick return have included drawing players in and passing to Isaako and Oates that have led to making breaks though. He's playing smarter because he's older

I've gone through his numbers and in a lot of ways it's been his best start in years.

Average Runs: 16
Average Metres: 138
Average Kick Return Metres: 50
Average Post Contact Metres: 26
Tackle Breaks: 9
Average Play The Ball Speed: 3.44 seconds
Average Passes: 20
Average Receipts: 35
Kicks: 6
Errors: 1

Average Runs: 12
Average Metres: 98
Average Kick Return Metres: 37
Average Post Contact Metres: 24
Line-Breaks: 0
Tackle Breaks: 13
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.3 Seconds
Average Passes: 21
Average Receipts: 31
Kicks: 2
Penalties: 2

Average Runs: 15
Average Metres: 111
Average Kick Return Metres: 22
Average Post Contact Metres: 27
Line-Break Assist: 3
Tackle Breaks: 11
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.35 Seconds
Average Passes: 16
Average Receipts: 28
Kicks: 1
Errors: 3

Average Runs: 14
Average Metres: 134
Average Kick Return Metres: 48
Average Post Contact Metres: 32
Line-Breaks: 2
Line-Break Assist: 0
Try Assist: 0
Tackle Breaks: 3
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.32 Seconds
Average Passes: 9
Average Receipts: 24
Kicks: 0
Penalties: 0

Boyd has been more involved this year, he's running the ball more than he usually does and is backing his skills. He's actually been safer than in previous seasons and is getting to the play the ball a lot quicker which was one of his biggest weaknesses.

Boyd still has flaws that numbers can't show, but there's some positive signs and this may explain the impression you have.
Where did you get those stats BP? The play the ball speed is interesting. Almost a second quicker for a guy that used to give the evil eye to the ref everytime he got tackled. Wouldn't mind checking some of the other players out such as Milf, who also had a reputation for slow PTBs.

Where did you get those stats BP? The play the ball speed is interesting. Almost a second quicker for a guy that used to give the evil eye to the ref everytime he got tackled. Wouldn't mind checking some of the other players out such as Milf, who also had a reputation for slow PTBs.

NRL.com (Draw --> Play Stats) and Excel.

It was actually a coincidence that Boyd wrote the article when he did. I'm of the opinion that Isaako was being misused on the wing and was going through his QRL numbers at fullback and was stacking them up with Boyd's. Then I read Darius Boyd's article and it got me thinking about where he could be coming from.

The FoxSports lab is also a good resource if you just the season stats right there infront of you.

Last edited:
Will it take care of itself though? Darius is signed until the end of 2021, Gillett until the end of 2022. Both on approx 700k+ a season and both are playing like 250k players... That's a huge amount of salary cap being chewed up.

The most concerning thing is the lack of change. Broncos appear to have this mentality that as long as they make the 8 it's okay.

All fair points but I can cut Gillette some slack. 1 game on the right edge in a year...I'm giving him more time. The coach has a mandate to drive change and I'm rock solid that he will deliver on that front. He doesn't want to lose the dressing room by making immediate or unjustified change. We'll know in a few weeks I'd say (appreciate the season could be on the fade by then). He's already got Roberts on the outer so starting to address discipline.

Honestly this letter from Boyd is just a huge kick in the guts. Saying that he is happy with his form is an insult to everyone who's ever worn the Broncos jersey, and an insult to anyone who has ever supported them. He's such a fucking cat how can't he at least have the balls to say he's been shit and he needs to do more. Inglis is going through the same thing with souths and has taken some time off to work out his future. I admire that. He could easily just keep playing and being average, or he can take time off, get his body and mind right and come back, or if his hunger isn't there, retire. Boyd is just milking this for as long as he can.

I go to every single broncos home game, and usually 4 or 5 away games each year. I sit with Broncos members and most of them have been there for the past 10-15 years. Everyone that sits around me wants boyd out of the team. EVERYONE. And these are people who have been paying $600 a ticket to be season members. People that go to every game whether it's raining or not.

So for him to say this shit, when the fans, the past players (including people who have played with him), and the media experts are all saying he's been trash, it's just bullshit.

All I'm reading from this is "I want to be angry because we're losing, I want to blame someone, and Boyd is the easiest target. AND NOW HE WON'T AGREE WITH ME??? I'm entitled to have these players agree that I should hate them because I'm such a good fan. " *throws toys out of the cot*

To my eye Milf is a second or two faster getting up and playing the ball this season. He used to seem resentful he either hadn`t made a bust or earned a penalty , rose very slowly and played the ball like he was stunned or winded . Didn`t look good and absolutely stifled the next play .

Ptbs is interesting considering that’s one of the KPI’s seibold wanted to improve on.

Maybe some of the other changes he’s made, training tempo and short captains runs being tweaked would be beneficial? Or keep them as they are and hope we see benefits later in the season.

Oh and to keep on topic of the thread Boyd is kidding himself.

Last edited:
I just don’t see any leadership qualities in Boyd. He sooks every time we get a call against us, he’s lazy in defence, he abuses younger players when they make an error, he’s rude to the refs, the list goes on.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • LittleDavey
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncsgoat
  • Strop
  • Jazza
  • RodF
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • theshed
  • ThomasovPreaf
  • BruiserMk1
  • Santa
  • Brocko
  • Bish
  • sooticus
  • KeithustEndaf
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.