NEWS Darius Boyd: Why I won’t be surrendering Broncos captaincy or No.1 jersey

I just don’t see any leadership qualities in Boyd. He sooks every time we get a call against us, he’s lazy in defence, he abuses younger players when they make an error, he’s rude to the refs, the list goes on.
Half of those are qualities Cameron Smith has shown throughout his career though

Half of those are qualities Cameron Smith has shown throughout his career though
Yeah as much as I think Smith is a knob, he does at least always put in effort and steps up when required. He also actually talks to his team mates. Boyd hardly says a word usually.

Yeah as much as I think Smith is a knob, he does at least always put in effort and steps up when required. He also actually talks to his team mates. Boyd hardly says a word usually.
Again, not true. This year he has been pretty quiet but every other year his talking is one of his assets.

Also who would replace him as captain? Nobody else is stepping up. None of our halves are talking or calling plays. The million dollar players aren’t stepping up either. Boyd’s leadership hasn’t been good this year but where is everyone else?

Again, not true. This year he has been pretty quiet but every other year his talking is one of his assets.

Also who would replace him as captain? Nobody else is stepping up. None of our halves are talking or calling plays. The million dollar players aren’t stepping up either. Boyd’s leadership hasn’t been good this year but where is everyone else?
My thought is giving someone like Bird or Milford the captaincy might show more confidence in them and make them lead more. As average as Milford has been this year, he has been the spine player making the biggest effort I feel. Defensively he has saved a few tries, often scoops up grubbers into our in goal and has made some good stops.

My thought is giving someone like Bird or Milford the captaincy might show more confidence in them and make them lead more. As average as Milford has been this year, he has been the spine player making the biggest effort I feel. Defensively he has saved a few tries, often scoops up grubbers into our in goal and has made some good stops.
Milford is one of the quietest footy players ever. He should already be showing leadership qualities. Bird leads by example but is a dummy and again, rarely speaks.

I've gone through his numbers and in a lot of ways it's been his best start in years.

Tries: 0
Average Runs: 16
Average Metres: 138
Average Kick Return Metres: 50
Average Post Contact Metres: 26
Line-Breaks: 1
Line-Break Assist: 1
Try Assist: 1
Tackle Breaks: 9
Average Play The Ball Speed: 3.44 seconds
Offloads: 1
Average Passes: 20
Average Receipts: 35
Kicks: 6
Errors: 1
Penalties: 1

Tries: 0
Average Runs: 12
Average Metres: 98
Average Kick Return Metres: 37
Average Post Contact Metres: 24
Line-Breaks: 0
Line-Break Assist: 1
Tackle Breaks: 13
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.3 Seconds
Average Passes: 21
Average Receipts: 31
Kicks: 2
Errors: 4
Penalties: 2

Tries: 2
Average Runs: 15
Average Metres: 111
Average Kick Return Metres: 22
Average Post Contact Metres: 27
Line-Breaks: 1
Line-Break Assist: 3
Tackle Breaks: 11
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.35 Seconds
Average Passes: 16
Average Receipts: 28
Kicks: 1
Errors: 3
Penalties: 1

Tries: 2
Average Runs: 14
Average Metres: 134
Average Kick Return Metres: 48
Average Post Contact Metres: 32
Line-Breaks: 2
Line-Break Assist: 0
Try Assist: 0
Tackle Breaks: 3
Average Play The Ball Speed: 4.32 Seconds
Average Passes: 9
Average Receipts: 24
Kicks: 0
Errors: 4
Penalties: 0

Boyd has been more involved this year, he's running the ball more than he usually does and is backing his skills. He's actually been safer than in previous seasons and is getting to the play the ball a lot quicker which was one of his biggest weaknesses.

Boyd still has flaws that numbers can't show, but there's some positive signs and this may explain the impression you have.

I couldn’t find such detailed stats, so thanks for posting. Are you able to compare him to other full backs this season?

My big issue with Boyd is that you could make a minute or so long lowlight reel of him dogging it in defence, such as against the roosters, taking the low % intercept option when he’s the last defender to avoid tackling, and when he doesn’t put any reasonable effort in to collect grubbers. It stinks of low effort and even if he was killing it in all other aspects (he isnt) it would still be unacceptable. It’s the same shit Hayne was doing in his last years at the eels (preNFL) but Darius isn’t half the player Hayne was. And like Hayne was for the eels, he is meant to be our leader.

Imagine being a young player standing behind the goal posts, under pressure, waiting for the opposition to take yet another conversation attempt, only to look up at the big screen and see your captain dogging it. What standard does that set for team.

I'll do a few up tonight, who would you like Boyd compared to? Tedesco, RTS, Gutherson anybody else?
Might be good to put someone shit in there as well.

Maybe Gordon, Hughes or TMM

Hughes could be a good example, his workrate appears on par with Boyd and is used more in attacking shapes, which is the same as Boyd

Ptbs is interesting considering that’s one of the KPI’s seibold wanted to improve on.

Maybe some of the other changes he’s made, training tempo and short captains runs being tweaked would be beneficial? Or keep them as they are and hope we see benefits later in the season.

Oh and to keep on topic of the thread Boyd is kidding himself.

Yeah they are interesting. So Macca doesn't really have an excuse as to why he can't get our forwards rolling.

IMO you don't switch teams because you're disgruntled at the performance/management/players. Be upset sure, but switching teams is shitty. Once you pick a team you stick

Agreed, that's the highs and lows of being a fan.

I'm not sure that is always the case. You need to have some moral cutoffs on certain things as well imo.

For example, when we signed Lodge I was very concerned and I would be lying if i said I didn't consider ceasing my support for the team I love. In the end I decided that he deserves a chance to to show he is no longer a shit human. So far so good. He is still not my favourite player by any means but he is a good player who now keeps his nose out of trouble.

Another example is the Aussie Cricket team. I will not support them while Warner is being picked. He is a cheat and that is unforgivable to me. I will continue my support once he retires if they continue to pick him.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that is always the case. You need to have some moral cutoffs on certain things as well imo.

For example, when we signed Lodge I was very concerned and I would be lying if i said I didn't consider ceasing my support for the team I love. In the end I decided that he deserves a chance to to show he is no longer a shit human. So far so good. He is still not my favourite player by any means but few he is a good player who now keeps his nose out of trouble.

Another example is the Aussie Cricket. I will not support them while Warner is being picked. He is a cheat and that is unforgivable to me. I will continue my support once he retires if they continue to pick him.

I guess for me, sport is an entertainment outlet and not a moral compass. I've always subscribed by the Leigh Matthews theory in that he would sign a serial killer if he thought it would help the team. I mean sure I think Warner is a dickhead, but I wouldn't stop supporting the team because of an individual.

I'll do a few up tonight, who would you like Boyd compared to? Tedesco, RTS, Gutherson anybody else?

It sounds like a lot of farting around so I would appreciate any you do but yes the ones you listed would be great. Maybe some other no thrills types like Mbye, Gordon, or Hoppa.

I guess for me, sport is an entertainment outlet and not a moral compass. I've always subscribed by the Leigh Matthews theory in that he would sign a serial killer if he thought it would help the team. I mean sure I think Warner is a dickhead, but I wouldn't stop supporting the team because of an individual.

That's fair enough. Each to their own i suppose.

It sounds like a lot of farting around so I would appreciate any you do but yes the ones you listed would be great. Maybe some other no thrills types like Mbye, Gordon, or Hoppa.
Hoppa played a couple games at centre. Mbye, Gordon, hughes, Brandon Elliot, Klokstad etc.

You chose to use avery unfortunate axiom in "throwing the baby out with thee bath water". In this case all we are asking is to throw the baby out Darius; the bath water is fine.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • mitch222
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Dash
  • bazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.