NEWS Darius Boyd: Why I won’t be surrendering Broncos captaincy or No.1 jersey

Alec

International Rep
Gotta say it is a bit disheartening watching RTS have some massive try saving tackles on a fairly regular basis, and then watching Boyd slip over and fall for dummies.

QCup Player
@Big Pete - hopefully this works a bit better visually.... great stats btw :)

Statistics for a fullback are misleading even at the best of times. You are purely relying on data relevant to opposition teams strategy. Meters gained, passes etc can all be bumped up in one game because he was peppered all night.

Statistics unfortunately do not measure effort or positional play.

Skathen

BRL Player
Statistics for a fullback are misleading even at the best of times. You are purely relying on data relevant to opposition teams strategy. Meters gained, passes etc can all be bumped up in one game because he was peppered all night.

Statistics unfortunately do not measure effort or positional play.
Beats conjecture though and does compare certain areas, especially the last field I added which I feel somewhat addresses your point.

Broncos Maestro

QCup Player
I’m starting to think Boyd is slipping on purpose to cover up the fact that he read the play wrong and make it look like an attempt to tackle the player.

Better looking incompetent than too scared to put his body in the line. If that’s the case he can piss off!

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
I’m starting to think Boyd is slipping on purpose to cover up the fact that he read the play wrong and make it look like an attempt to tackle the player.

Better looking incompetent than too scared to put his body in the line. If that’s the case he can piss off!
I've been calling it since Round 1.

He has routinely pretended to slip over or fall for dummies from forwards in 1 on 1 situations, he might be fooling others, but certainly not me, I've watched enough of him during his career to know he's smart enough and good enough to get in position to make these tackles 99 times out of 100, he's just unwilling to put his body on the line at the moment, he probably knows he's only 1 injury away from getting the tap from Seibold and wants to preserve his body, unfortunately for us, it's currently costing us games, and unfortunately for Seibold, he's probably the hardest player to drop given that he's currently the captain and we currently have quite literally zero Fullback depth.

Renegade

NRL Captain
geez I'm hating on Boyd as much as the rest of you but I don't think he's purposely slipping over.

What you could suggest is that he's slipping over because he's getting his position wrong and overdoing it to get back into position, that is certainly feasible, but I don't think he's going yeah this dude has me beat so I'm just gonna fall over to absolve myself of responsibility lol

Eta Carinae

QCup Player
geez I'm hating on Boyd as much as the rest of you but I don't think he's purposely slipping over.

What you could suggest is that he's slipping over because he's getting his position wrong and overdoing it to get back into position, that is certainly feasible, but I don't think he's going yeah this dude has me beat so I'm just gonna fall over to absolve myself of responsibility lol
I've been hating on Boyd as much as anyone and more than most but that wasn't his fault. He was the one running out of the line to prevent a field goal and as soon as the ball was passed, he ran back to fullback. It's indirectly his fault for not being a better C. He should have remained at the back and yelled at Bird and Nikorima for example to run out of the line to try to prevent a field goal.

It was actually one of his better games. Which based on the last year, doesn't mean he played well but he certainly tried hard.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
I've been hating on Boyd as much as anyone and more than most but that wasn't his fault. He was the one running out of the line to prevent a field goal and as soon as the ball was passed, he ran back to fullback. It's indirectly his fault for not being a better C. He should have remained at the back and yelled at Bird and Nikorima for example to run out of the line to try to prevent a field goal.

It was actually one of his better games. Which based on the last year, doesn't mean he played well but he certainly tried hard.
Good post and I completely agree.

theshed

NRL Player

I’m not saying it was on purpose but he did so much last year that it was already a meme before this season started. You could make a 5 minute video of him doing this, giving up close to the line, or failing to chase grubbers. He seems to find some convenient mishap like a slip or falling for a dummy every time someone breaks the line. It might not even be a conscious decision but he is obviously avoiding the contact. There’s no 2 ways about it.

Jedhead

NRL Player
I’m not saying it was on purpose but he did so much last year that it was already a meme before this season started. You could make a 5 minute video of him doing this, giving up close to the line, or failing to chase grubbers. He seems to find some convenient mishap like a slip or falling for a dummy every time someone breaks the line. It might not even be a conscious decision but he is obviously avoiding the contact. There’s no 2 ways about it.
Its all about self-preservation and keeping the coin rolling in.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
Every time he catches a bomb, be it contested or not, he falls over.

Renegade

NRL Captain
if he's falling over a lot when one on one, either his position sucks or he's wearing the wrong studs.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Last night's slip was on purpose imo. Even after MCK put the step on Boyd still had time to get to him. Self preservation? Probably. But he is opening himself up to some far more sinister allegations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter