NEWS Darius Boyd will take a $300,000 pay cut if he sees out his Broncos contract

The greatest shame on picking up quotes from in game and media (throwing shapes anyone?) is that it means people actually listen to in game commentary. I understand other forms of media reading, etc but I just don’t understand how one can watch a game with any of these tv commentary teams these days.
Easy, ask anyone with kids. Their voices are just background noise, I can easily watch a half dozen games of footy without absorbing anything the commentators say.

Wolves will instinctively attack their omega pack-member (weakest link) in order to create a stronger pack. This is necessary to survive in the wild. I think this is what's happening when Broncos' fans attacks Boyd and Macca. We just want to end up with the strongest team possible.

Last edited:
Wolves will instinctively attack their omega pack-member (weakest link) in order to create a stronger pack. This is necessary to survive in the wild. I think this is what's happening when Broncos' fans attacks Boyd and Macca. We just want to end up with the strongest team possible.
I thought this only happens with captive wolves?

with a contractual clause stipulating he must play at least 15 games in 2020 to trigger a 12-

This is why he takes a knee at fullback and didn’t dive for the match winner last week ..... protecting the body so he can get 15 games .
One good game to take the heat off but we will get more of the protecting himself next year

I hate to say it ( well actually i dont ) but protecting yourself and not playing for your teammates will result in you getting dropped. The coach wont tolerate it, and neither will your team mates. Once you lose their respect, you are finished. Speaks volumes to me they all back Boyd. His form has been very, very ordinary, but he isnt not putting in for the team.

Last edited:
I hate to say it ( well actually i dont ) but protecting yourself and not playing for your teammates will result in you getting dropped. The coach wont tolerate it, and neither will your team mates. Once you lose their respect, you are finished. Speaks volumes to me they all back Boyd. His form has been very, very ordinary, but he isnt not putting in for the team.
Exactly right, there is absolutely nothing to suggest he isn't giving it everything he's got and he's got plenty of evidence to support the fact that he puts the team first. Whether him putting in everything he has is still good enough might be a problem, but to infer he isn't trying his best for the team is just wrong.

The greatest shame on picking up quotes from in game and media (throwing shapes anyone?) is that it means people actually listen to in game commentary. I understand other forms of media reading, etc but I just don’t understand how one can watch a game with any of these tv commentary teams these days.

It’s a valid point. I watch it with the commentary (usually watch it on fox) and that’s only because it adds to the excitement and atmosphere to what you are witnessing. Wouldn’t be the same on mute.

I do form my own opinions though and don’t get sucked into agendas which you can identify pretty easily who have them. Braith Anasta is one of the worst for it by a country mile. Brandy probably next cab off the rank.

Growing up as a kid I use to always find it funny during Origins when at a random stage of the game Gus would pipe with a ‘QLD are looking very tired here’ even when there were no evident signs of it. It is almost like they manufacture shit and buy into it in the hopes that if they believe it enough it must be true

Last edited:
with a contractual clause stipulating he must play at least 15 games in 2020 to trigger a 12-

This is why he takes a knee at fullback and didn’t dive for the match winner last week ..... protecting the body so he can get 15 games .
One good game to take the heat off but we will get more of the protecting himself next year

Maybe we should let him see out his 2 year contract then.

Because after he plays 15 games next year and activates that 4th year he might just go into full beast mode and throw himself around without fear!

He can take all the pay cuts he wants, we still wont win a premiership with him at fullback or five-eight.

Yeah he had a good game against Parra. Still doesnt warrant him playing on for the next 2 years.

Please Darbs just step aside. All your 'experience' can still be utilised in an off-field role.
Not really. Not when he's out there calling and organising defence. Can't do that from the sidelines

Don’t believe the hype. Darius is 100% retiring at season end though only a select few within the club are aware. Darius is a legend of a bloke and doesn’t want his retirement to be a distraction for his young teammates. He also wants to go out on his own terms without any kind of fuss, especially from rugby league media who have dogged him most of his career. There will be a quiet announcement a couple weeks after our season is done.
You're just as reliable as Baddell with these sourceless claims. 100% is no doubt AT ALL. complete guarantee?

I find it very intriguing, that word gets out last week of a talk happening or happened....Boyd doesn't read the media or papers, mega denial and PR boosting by the club and then Boyd comes out and has a great game for the first 60 minutes.

From the outside to me it looks like hes made a decision to push himself to see where he can get to currently. Its clear to blind Freddy he hasn't been up to the task so far, so i have confidence after last week if hes not good enough he will be moved along or move along himself. Seems the line in sand has been drawn.

In defence of boyd, his defence hasnt been too bad, and teams have gone after him early. He has also rushed up to make tackles to inspire the team.

I dont believe he belongs in the spine but i think he would be a good left centre. He can organise the left side defence, use quick hands to feed the ball to oates and take his preferred runs from dummy half. He could support/teach milf (or whoever our fullback is) with the finer aspects of playing fullback (i think milf is struggling with his positioning to field kicks) at training and provide perese, farnworth and coates more time to work on their games in ISC.

I find it very intriguing, that word gets out last week of a talk happening or happened....Boyd doesn't read the media or papers, mega denial and PR boosting by the club and then Boyd comes out and has a great game for the first 60 minutes.

From the outside to me it looks like hes made a decision to push himself to see where he can get to currently. Its clear to blind Freddy he hasn't been up to the task so far, so i have confidence after last week if hes not good enough he will be moved along or move along himself. Seems the line in sand has been drawn.

Even if he doesn't read the media himself he would have been fully aware of Kayla giving both barrels to the entire NRL media/supporter base.

In defence of boyd, his defence hasnt been too bad, and teams have gone after him early. He has also rushed up to make tackles to inspire the team.

I dont believe he belongs in the spine but i think he would be a good left centre. He can organise the left side defence, use quick hands to feed the ball to oates and take his preferred runs from dummy half. He could support/teach milf (or whoever our fullback is) with the finer aspects of playing fullback (i think milf is struggling with his positioning to field kicks) at training and provide perese, farnworth and coates more time to work on their games in ISC.

My problem with this is that Bird and Staggs are both far better centres. So ultimately we would be hurting our best potential to shuffle him to whats left over as best for him, not necessarily for the team performance wise.

I think, based on last weeks performance he can still be descent at Fullback. Milf does suit 6 much better.

My problem with this is that Bird and Staggs are both far better centres. So ultimately we would be hurting our best potential to shuffle him to whats left over as best for him, not necessarily for the team performance wise.

I think, based on last weeks performance he can still be descent at Fullback. Milf does suit 6 much better.

If Darius can at least finish the season off with some credibility and makes the Eels game his baseline for performances, I would be willing to let him have the opening month of 2020 at 1 to see if his move to 6 has at least seen him gain some confidence or new found perspective since we don’t really have any other noted fullbacks ready to fill the void unless we train Milford there in the off season.

If he regresses and goes back to 2018/2019 Boyd I would just drop him to QLD Cup and keep him as coverage for Bird and Staggs in the centres. Whilst we have young halves developing, I think we need to put Milford back to 6 with either a SOS or Dearden at 7 until we either go to market or until both of them develop enough where you could even consider moving Milford back to 1.

It’s no secret Milford was only moved to 1 because of Darius’ form at the back no matter which way the club was trying to spin it. There is no way they moved Milford there to try and free up his game we all know that was smokes and mirrors to defend Darius. And whilst the early signs were promising, I don’t think Milford has killed it at 1 enough to weaken what he can do at 6. It doesn’t help that Milford never had a game managing halves partner for most of the last 2 season. A SOS outside him would do him wonders. Granted he never had an off season at 1 so am willing to cut some slack there.

I’d be keeping an eye on the Croft situation at Melbourne. Experienced game manager at a very successful side and wouldn’t break the bank. It’s obvious now that Melbourne are more than filling to change their line up to select the best players and give them a position which has put Croft in the lurch 2 years running heading into the finals. It was only after he hit a purple patch that he got reinstated last year and I dare say when Munster comes back from injury they will go with Papenhuyzen at 1 and Jahrome at 7. You wouldn’t think someone with Croft’s skill set would be happy playing second fiddle and not having any team security. Plus he is a local.

Last edited:

I would not mind having bird at 6 (or 1). At 6 he could play similar to munster. He is a bigger body, strong runner with decent ball skills and he could work on his kicking game. He is a right side player too (SOS seemed more comfortable on the left). Could you imagine a right edge of TPJ/Gillett, bird, stagg and isaako? That is a pretty decent right edge

To me, he seems a waste at 4.

Croft is made to look better than he is playing with Cameron Smith imo.

I would not mind having bird at 6 (or 1). At 6 he could play similar to munster. He is a bigger body, strong runner with decent ball skills and he could work on his kicking game. He is a right side player too (SOS seemed more comfortable on the left). Could you imagine a right edge of TPJ/Gillett, bird, stagg and isaako? That is a pretty decent right edge

To me, he seems a waste at 4.
Yeah I think bird at 6 , Wighton has made a fist of it and he is very similar. Not sure who plays 7 but .

Active Now

• Maddy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • Footy Fanatic
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • Santa
  • sooticus
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
  • Swordfish
  • azza.79
  • johnny plath
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.