Darius Boyd

News Limited have been running some sort of agenda against the Dragons down in Sydney for the last week... not sure why but its crap journalism at it's best. Can't really blame him for his attitude towards them, i guess he just didn't realize that by giving them nothing he'd be fueling the fire.

I don't agree at all that Boyd is justified in how he acted simply because "the media doesn't deserve respect".

There is a great finals series coming up and here was his chance to put the focus back on the footy, and he had to behave like that. How immature.

The interview:

Q: Up against the Broncos, excited about facing your old mates?

A: Yeah, can't wait.

Q: That excited?

A: Yep.

Q: Did you watch them play last week?

A: No I didn't.

Q: What's the strategy going into the game?

A: We'll decide that on Wednesday I suppose.

Q: Happy to score another try, it was a good one?

A: Yeah, it was good, eh.

Q: Second one of the season, it's taken a while, you must be keen to be coming into form at the right time of the season.

A: No it was good.

Q: What are your thoughts on the way your team is going at the moment Darius?

A: Um, yeah, it was pretty good, eh.

Q: Are you fair dinkum?

A: Yeah.

Come on, there's no way you can excuse that. I don't think you can put it down to his personality either, it was just a pathetic display of petulance and he's lucky that the Dragons immediately got in and apologised. The NRL would've fined his arse otherwise.

gUt said:
I will back Boyd. What right does (most of) the media have to demand a fair go from rugby league after the way they have generally sold copy by pissing all over the game all year? Genuine stories a la Greg Bird are one thing, the Matt Johns type mud slinging is another. If I were a player I would tell them to go **** themselves.

fair point gut, but there are better ways...

I would certainly be unhappy with the media too, but I woudln't deliver it in that manner.

Also - as someone said... the common GEN-Y footy player vocab probably did not help either.

m1c said:
News Limited have been running some sort of agenda against the Dragons down in Sydney for the last week... not sure why but its crap journalism at it's best.

I'd say it's a continuation of the anti-Bennett agenda they've had forever. They all expected him to fail coaching a Sydney team, without his Broncos Superstars Full of Rep Players and they simply can't handle it that he is proving them all wrong yet again.

Bennett was the biggest media tosser I have ever seen. Pathetic and uncalled for.

Surely Bennett can't be defended by the BHQ masses regarding this point?

I won't fully defend him, but I have seen and heard Bennett give very good interviews to people that he respected and had not shafted him, like the ABC commentary team.

lynx000 said:
I won't fully defend him, but I have seen and heard Bennett give very good interviews to people that he respected and had not shafted him, like the ABC commentary team.

Exactly. Boyd seems like a tactiturn sort of guy in any case. I think the questions they asked him got the answers they deserved.

Agree lynx. Bennett always treated media people in the same way they treated him.

I think he did take it too far sometimes and even he has admitted to and apologised for a couple of these occasions (but apologies where to the fans not the media).

Boyd is probably still pissed off with the media about how they reported the Alhambra Lounge story.

I can't understand why the players involved in the Alhambra issue are unhappy with the media's treatment. Only they are to blame, if they didn't want to be the spot light in the media, don't have group oral-sex in a public toilet...

Don't you know Ghibli - the players are the real victims. They are just doing what every other guy their age does every night of the week, they are just normal regular every day guys with a normal regular every day job that requires no public attention.

But seriously as I said before I don't think he's specifically gone out of his way to speak to the media like that or be petulant - it's how he is. That interview actually got more out of him than a regular conversation. He really should be getting some media / public speaking training if he is going to continue to be used in any type of spokesperson capacity, but I really think this whole story is a mountain out of a molehill.

Coxy said:
The interview:

Q: Up against the Broncos, excited about facing your old mates?

Q: That excited?

Q: Did you watch them play last week?

Q: What's the strategy going into the game?

Q: Happy to score another try, it was a good one?

Q: Second one of the season, it's taken a while, you must be keen to be coming into form at the right time of the season.

Q: What are your thoughts on the way your team is going at the moment Darius?

Q: Are you fair dinkum?

Come on, there's no way you can excuse that. I don't think you can put it down to his personality either, it was just a pathetic display of petulance and he's lucky that the Dragons immediately got in and apologised. The NRL would've fined his arse otherwise.

I'm a boyd hater of the first degree, but they were the dumbest questions, seriously what was the reporter thinking? Of course he liked getting another try (a backhanded compliment reminding him he hasn't scored very many tries this season).

In the same vain, St George should've put Wendall in the frontline to raise awareness for the big game. Darius is about as interesting as a limp fish.

Flutterby said:
Don't you know Ghibli - the players are the real victims. They are just doing what every other guy their age does every night of the week, they are just normal regular every day guys with a normal regular every day job that requires no public attention.

But seriously as I said before I don't think he's specifically gone out of his way to speak to the media like that or be petulant - it's how he is. That interview actually got more out of him than a regular conversation. He really should be getting some media / public speaking training if he is going to continue to be used in any type of spokesperson capacity, but I really think this whole story is a mountain out of a molehill.

Yes, that's quite right, I can remember all of those nights when I went out and had group sex in a disabled toilet [icon_evillaugh hang on, no I can't ....

obviously toilet fail on my part

He sounded like a petulant little child. I could not care less if he feels mistreated by the media, he got what he deserved after that whole Alhambra thing.

He still has a responsibility to his fans and stakeholders. Maybe that is the problem these days, players thinking they are bigger than what they are.

As I and others have pointed out, they are SH1T QUESTIONS:

Q: Up against the Broncos, excited about facing your old mates? - Closed question, means it can be answered with a yes or no. Interviewing 101 - no closed questions.

Q: That excited? - Closed question (and meaningless)

Q: Did you watch them play last week?- Closed question

Q: What's the strategy going into the game? - Obviously unable to answer this and the journo would have known.

Q: Happy to score another try, it was a good one? - Closed question

Q: Second one of the season, it's taken a while, you must be keen to be coming into form at the right time of the season. - Closed and idiotic question. Darius has been in form all year, just not getting tries.

Q: What are your thoughts on the way your team is going at the moment Darius? - Maybe the journo thought that Boyd would give a new and unique and surprising answer to the question of: "Gee are the team on top of the table any good?" Rubbish question

Q: Are you fair dinkum? Is this fair dinkum? Closed question

mrslong

They picked Boyd for the interview as he was with the Broncos last year.

Wendell last played for us in 2001

Unread

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  • Financeguy
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.