Darius Boyd

E

Emma

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Regardless of when each of them last played for the broncos, Wendell should still have been the one they chose to do this interview. He is a human headline, everyone knows he still has friends at the broncos and would have been the perfect player to raise the profile of this game (if it needed any help in the first place). A casual rugby league supporter probably wouldn't even know who Darius was!

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
The club actually picks who fronts the media each week, not the reporters. I think they need to take some of the blame for it being such an idiotic interview as they would be well aware how crap Darius is at public speaking and ultimately this has done nothing to promote the match or their club.

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
gUt said:
As I and others have pointed out, they are SH1T QUESTIONS:

Q: Up against the Broncos, excited about facing your old mates? - Closed question, means it can be answered with a yes or no. Interviewing 101 - no closed questions.
A: Yeah, can't wait.

Q: That excited? - Closed question (and meaningless)
A: Yep.

Q: Did you watch them play last week?- Closed question
A: No I didn't.

Q: What's the strategy going into the game? - Obviously unable to answer this and the journo would have known.
A: We'll decide that on Wednesday I suppose.

Q: Happy to score another try, it was a good one? - Closed question
A: Yeah, it was good, eh.

Q: Second one of the season, it's taken a while, you must be keen to be coming into form at the right time of the season. - Closed and idiotic question. Darius has been in form all year, just not getting tries.
A: No it was good.

Q: What are your thoughts on the way your team is going at the moment Darius? - Maybe the journo thought that Boyd would give a new and unique and surprising answer to the question of: "Gee are the team on top of the table any good?" Rubbish question
A: Um, yeah, it was pretty good, eh.

Q: Are you fair dinkum? Is this fair dinkum? Closed question
A: Yeah.

I don't buy this "open question/closed question" stuff.

Even if it is a "closed question", the typical Australian way of communicating (and thus the majority see as "normal") is to be at least moderately open for a bit of elaboration when being asked a question. Even if it is a "closed question" per se.

Example using the first question:

Q: Up against the Broncos, excited about facing your old mates?

A: Yeah, can't wait mate. The Broncos are just starting to come into some form. It will be good to have a bit of a hitout with the guys. We should be able to get over the top of them though.

That is considered normal interview banter and at least presents a bit of personability in a way that the Australian public is accustomed to.

Not that I'm up in arms about this topic at all.

He did somewhat sound like My Swedish and Krauty workmates there for a second though. [icon_wink

E

Emma

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Flutterby said:
The club actually picks who fronts the media each week, not the reporters. I think they need to take some of the blame for it being such an idiotic interview as they would be well aware how crap Darius is at public speaking and ultimately this has done nothing to promote the match or their club.
Yeah that's who I'm blaming. Wendell would have been the perfect candidate given it's a game against his old club (regardless of how long ago that was).

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Exactly Silence. They always ask stupid questions. Sports journalists are only one rung above jellyfish as far as intelligence goes. We all know that.

Again, interviews like that are about promoting the game and they're merely opening an opportunity for player/coach to provide a few bites to help promote the upcoming game.

In a really odd, roundabout way, you could say Darius has done just that. Everyone's talking about him.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Emma said:
Flutterby said:
Yeah that's who I'm blaming. Wendell would have been the perfect candidate given it's a game against his old club (regardless of how long ago that was).

Yep agree with you there - they should have Dell do all their interviews!!!!

Though I see he's on Footy Show again this week, so that will get some promo happening.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I hope Dell takes over from Fatty, it would be awesome for league and for race relations in this country to have a leading variety show hosted by a black man (plus he would be great at it).

I don't buy this "open question/closed question" stuff.

Even if it is a "closed question", the typical Australian way of communicating (and thus the majority see as "normal") is to be at least moderately open for a bit of elaboration when being asked a question. Even if it is a "closed question" per se.

Example using the first question:

Q: Up against the Broncos, excited about facing your old mates?

A: Yeah, can't wait mate. The Broncos are just starting to come into some form. It will be good to have a bit of a hitout with the guys. We should be able to get over the top of them though.

That is considered normal interview banter and at least presents a bit of personability in a way that the Australian public is accustomed to.

Not that I'm up in arms about this topic at all.

Whether or not you buy it, it's basic interviewing technique and it was the first thing we learned when I did a radio course. DON'T ASK CLOSED QUESTIONS. I think he adequately answered the sub-community radio standard questions that were vomited in his general direction. Maybe he could have done it if he was a bit more extroverted, or had years more experience at it, or actually wanted to be there.

You see it from Locky too, especially on field after a game. He gets asked the same moronic questions after a win or loss: "Well Locky, tell us about that" as if he doesn't know we just watched the whole fkn thing. You sort of see him roll his eyes and sigh and I don't blame him.

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Fair enough. I'm willing to accept what you've posted. icon_thumbs_u

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
What gUt says is perfectly valid and true. However, it's still not an excuse for Darius to behave the way he did. The kid needs a beating around the head and an intensive course in media liaison and public speaking. Locky may well roll his eyes and sigh but he still answers the questions.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Yep and Locky used to answer in the same moronic mono-syllabic way, before they realised he was going to spend his career to a lot of interviews so got him some media training. He's still not great, but he's better now.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
If he has a problem with the journos, he should (a) not do the interview; or (b) do the interview properly so he does the right thing by his club's supporters and other fans and then give the journos a gobful about how they are a bunch of nutmunching hypocrites after the interview has finished.

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
lynx000 said:
If he has a problem with the journos, he should (a) not do the interview; or (b) do the interview properly so he does the right thing by his club's supporters and other fans and then give the journos a gobful about how they are a bunch of nutmunching hypocrites after the interview has finished.

exactly by acting like a douche in the interview he is giving the journos exactly what they want, something to right about and getting the fans offside. Living in NSW can do strange things to a man.

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
I just watched the video of the interview. It's obvious that he's had a preconceived plan to be as brief as possible.

What a complete nuffie of the highest order.

Other words come to mind, but I'll stick with that for the time being.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Yeh just saw the video as well. Wayne has always had a shaky relationship with the media, but to be honest I don't think he has ever behaved like that. The only time that came close was his performance after the semi-final match against St George in 2001, but IMO that wasn't as bad as Darius's performance. For example, someone asked him about the great start the Broncos had to the game and he said "Yeh it was a great start, it was what we needed to do". He obviously didn't want to be there and there is no doubt he could've handled it better, but still a lot better than what Darius gave us yesterday.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Flutterby said:
Yep and Locky used to answer in the same moronic mono-syllabic way, before they realised he was going to spend his career to a lot of interviews so got him some media training. He's still not great, but he's better now.

Agree with you here. The questions they ask Locky is garbage and he replies with exactly just that. You can tell he's not the greatest media-speaker...

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Silence said:
I just watched the video of the interview. It's obvious that he's had a preconceived plan to be as brief as possible.

What a complete nuffie of the highest order.

Other words come to mind, but I'll stick with that for the time being.

Yeah it wasn't a great interview, but I think people are being pretty harsh on him (and I think Darius is a tosser of the highest order).

He probably kept it brief because he really was extremely uncomfortable and didn't want to be there. Believe it or not some people are literally petrified of speaking in public and do all they can to avoid it at all costs and on the occasions when they are forced into that situation they do keep everything as brief as possible so they can get the hel out of there. I can't remember a time the Broncos ever trotted him out to do the media thing - because they knew it wouldn't be good.

But hey it's better to have in the media for giving a crap interview than other less savoury things.

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Darius Boyd = PR Fail!

In all seriousness, haven't young players done training, such as communication, etc? Surely Boyd would've done some and realise that he shouldn't act like a complete tool.

Active Now

• Astro
  • broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Shane Tronc
  • Galah
  • Old Mate
  • Johnny92
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Rowdy124
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Manofoneway
  • Jedhead
  • Rambstien
  • Battler
  • Aldo
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.