Darius Boyd

As Coxy alluded to earlier in the thread, perhaps Bennett's complete lack of respect for the media has been grasped by and rubbed off onto Hairyass Boys.

Bennett's attitude in this regard wore thin during his large stint with Brisbane and now it could be having an impact on St. George-Illawarra.

I know Ivan isn't much better with his media work and covering up unsatisfactory performances with cliche, tried and tested lines, but at least he isn't as misely as Bennett was.

Biases aside, isn't it good that we as a club don't have to endure such Bennett-esque trash in this particular area anymore and have it possibly "wash off" onto our players?

Such players should be mature enough to understand that the way Bennett deals with the media isn't to be replicated though.

Why is this about Bennett? Boyd did the interview, what Wayne did in the past is exactly that - the past.

It's definately about Boyd, but it could also be about Bennett impacting in the ways I've mentioned.

Benny hasn't changed his media confrontation style since he left Brisbane remember?

He's just as unsatisfactory in this area as he always was. The "way he acted" is not in the past. He still has the same style.

Who cares? He can do what he likes. The media trashes these guys all year and expects them to dance like monkies. Bennett is not the type to pretend that all is forgiven when it's not.

What do you guys want from these press conferences anyway? What do you hope to learn from the perfect press conference that you didn't already know. Anyway I am not convinced that the players are talking to "the fans" at these conferences. They are providing sound bites to the media. In depth interviews on radio, TV and print are where we learn about the players or teams, not at press conferences.

gUt said:
What do you guys want from these press conferences anyway? What do you hope to learn from the perfect press conference that you didn't already know.

And when they do actually speak, 98% of the time they just regurgitate the same old cliches anyway.

Well now that you put it like that...

I think now that I've had time to think about it, it was more the "shock" of his interviewing persona being so different to the usual. Couldn't agree more that the interviews are exceptionally useless and that the responses given by the players are cliched in the extreme and lacking any insight whatsoever.

It would be a real shake up if Boyd's actions in this particular media interview were to create almost a new player interview mentality and thought process.

It's either you as the interviewer start asking more insightful and direct questions or the players being interviewed put away their cliche response books and start providing somewhat insightful answers which will benefit the viewer and average Rugby League follower.

Would be interesting if this process became " revised"in terms of the mentalities of the respective parties.

Nothing will change though, but the actions of Boyd certainly have added an unusual reaction to usual player "interviews" pre and post match.

I reckon Darius was better off using cliches rather than answering the reporter with 3 to 5 words monotonously. At least he would go unnoticed lol.

Just out of interest, what's everyone's favourite/most hated/annoying Rugby League cliches?

The ones which just keep rearing their ugly heads week in week out.

A good old favourite which springs to mind quite easily is "Just taking it week by week mate".

That repeated incessantly over the course of a season really grinds my gears.

The fact is, he comes across as a knob. Yes the questions were shit, as usual, but if he had that much of a problem with them he should have just said so rather than acting like a petulant teenager.

It's not a big deal though. His coach had a word to him and so will his CEO, so the issue is closed as far as I'm concerned.

Lol yep probably. Bennett's own displays like this were always miraculously well timed to take focus off the team [icon_lol1.

Indeed they were. Please don't give me an actual reason to like Bennett, Schmix. [icon_lol1.

FFS, ok then, if press conferences are just a waste of time why don't all players and coaches just refuse to do them.

Yeah, that's great PR for rugby league.

**** you people have NO idea.

Wendell on the Today show this morning said he's going to take Darius under his wing and teach him how to work the camera - god help us all if there winds up to be another Wendell out there!

Yes I particularly do not want to see Darius' bum all over the screen

I don't think it would fill the screen quite as well as Dell's did!

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Porthoz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.